Has your education ever been interrupted or affected adversely.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imrandom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Has your education ever been interrupted or affected adversely for reasons other than deficiencies in conduct or academic performance?"

I had one semester where I didn't do particularly poorly but it looks pretty bad. My gpa for this semester was a 3.417 but I got a C+ in Orgo I and withdrew another class (to try and save my gpa), ending up with only 12 credits that seemester. However this gpa was better than my first semester in freshman year which was 3.267.

Should I explain that the family death affected the semester in which I got a C+ in Orgo and withdrew from another class or should I just leave it since the gpa is higher than my freshman year's fall semester gpa?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should answer "no" to this question. 12 credits is still full time. If anything, your interviewers may ask you about your GPA and withdrawal. I would just explain it then.

Ultimately, whether you choose to mention this on your application should depend on your overall And science GPA's and your DAT scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similar situation. I was taking a 23 credit course load (don't recommend it) in my third semester and I got a C+ in orgo 1 and withdrew from another class - my semester GPA was around a 3.2, but it was lower than my GPA freshman year. This was the same time that my parents were going through a nasty divorce and it caused a ton of family problems, yada yada. I didn't mention any of this on AADSAS and don't plan to mention it if I'm asked during an interview. I don't have much advice on your situation though since a death is much more tragic than divorce, and 12 credits is a pretty light course load (but still full time). I'd look around for more advice though.

I think you should answer "no" to this question. 12 credits is still full time. If anything, your interviewers may ask you about your GPA and withdrawal. I would just explain it then.

Ultimately, whether you choose to mention this on your application should depend on your overall And science GPA's and your DAT scores.

Would it be worth mentioning if I had a huge upward trend in grades and now have a 3.7 overall and sci gpa?

I'm in a similar situation. I was taking a 23 credit course load (don't recommend it) in my third semester and I got a C+ in orgo 1 and withdrew from another class - my semester GPA was around a 3.2, but it was lower than my GPA freshman year. This was the same time that my parents were going through a nasty divorce and it caused a ton of family problems, yada yada. I didn't mention any of this on AADSAS and don't plan to mention it if I'm asked during an interview. I don't have much advice on your situation though since a death is much more tragic than divorce, and 12 credits is a pretty light course load (but still full time). I'd look around for more advice though.

I think if asked during your interview at the very least you should answer with what you just said

Well, I'm applying this cycle too, so I'm definitely not an expert. But if you have an upward trend and a 3.7 overall and science GPA, your grades aren't all that bad in the first place! ;) It sounds like you made some B's your first semester and the only C that you made was in Orgo I. I still wouldn't mention it. How did you do on the organic subsection on the DAT?

I wouldn't mention it. Not to sound apathetic towards your situation, but many deal with death around this time/age and it didn't seem to affect you too negatively gradewise, just mention it if it is brought up during interviews.

Well, I'm applying this cycle too, so I'm definitely not an expert. But if you have an upward trend and a 3.7 overall and science GPA, your grades aren't all that bad in the first place! ;) It sounds like you made some B's your first semester and the only C that you made was in Orgo I. I still wouldn't mention it. How did you do on the organic subsection on the DAT?

I got a 26 on the Organic section so I really worked hard in that class after my C+. My other individual scores aren't all that hot (19 bio, 19 chem, 18 PAT, 19 RC, 21 QR) though

I wouldn't mention it. Not to sound apathetic towards your situation, but many deal with death around this time/age and it didn't seem to affect you too negatively gradewise, just mention it if it is brought up during interviews.

Oh no I totally understand the point you're trying to make!

I am on the same boat, debating whether I should explain about my particularly pathetic semester during which I didn't do so hot in Orgo I. My grandmother, who raised me like a mother would, passed away, and this was the first time I had ever experienced a loss of someone so close. I overcame in the end, and grades went up the next academic year (THANK GOD). I also pulled a 29 on OC to show that I can conquer Orgo. But still, that entire year was full of struggles for me -- do you think I should fill out that section on the application or no?

I am on the same boat, debating whether I should explain about my particularly pathetic semester during which I didn't do so hot in Orgo I. My grandmother, who raised me like a mother would, passed away, and this was the first time I had ever experienced a loss of someone so close. I overcame in the end, and grades went up the next academic year (THANK GOD). I also pulled a 29 on OC to show that I can conquer Orgo. But still, that entire year was full of struggles for me -- do you think I should fill out that section on the application or no?

For myself I'm leaning towards not putting it because I was able to get my grades up to a 3.7. So it depends on how you're gpa is looking right now

Reactions: 1 user
For myself I'm leaning towards not putting it because I was able to get my grades up to a 3.7. So it depends on how you're gpa is looking right now
Oh why were you even worrying about this in the first place?! 3.7? Come onnn :arghh: (good job by the way!)

Why wouldn't you mention it? The question asks you if anything happened in your life that affected your education. You got a C+ in orgo and even dropped a class because of a death in a family. This is the time to explain any poor grades if the reasons are good, such as yours.

Plus you did well on the DAT orgo section. I would think mentioning it would even emphasized how you overcame this obstacle.

*shrug* I'm mentioning my particular situations, one for a semester I did poorly in and one for a semester that I did perfectly fine in.

Last edited: