Hate mandatory classes...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

welp18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I kind of despise mandatory classes. I don't hate anyone but I'd rather not see most people in my class if I don't have to. Is that bad? I think I've realized I just don't click with most of my class and if I don't have to spend lots of time with them that's kind of where my sweet spot is. I know a lot of med students love medical school and everything that comes with being a med student but I'm definitely not that person. Is that bad?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So I kind of despise mandatory classes. I don't hate anyone but I'd rather not see most people in my class if I don't have to. Is that bad? I think I've realized I just don't click with most of my class and if I don't have to spend lots of time with them that's kind of where my sweet spot is. I know a lot of med students love medical school and everything that comes with being a med student but I'm definitely not that person. Is that bad?
Nah, just make sure you don't let the mandatory classes get in the way of you doing what you need to do to succeed. Do anki during class or something if live lectures are a problem for you. Just don't let it get your psyche down (speaking from experience).

Reactions: 2 users
Mandatory lectures? Or TBL/PBL and their ilk? Mandatory labs are needed, because you do have to learn where to put the stethoscope and listen to different sounds...and take histories etc.

IF mandatory lectures...can you name what penal colony you're at? PM if needed.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Right there with you. I literally don’t leave my apartment if I don’t have to.

I know you’re just venting and I’m right there with you, most everything mandatory in MS1-2 feels like a total waste and likely is. Regularly requiring attendance to lecture is pretty much a deal breaker.

However I’ll just add this warning, don’t blow that stuff off and give administration a reason to be interested in you. Professionalism issues can be really killer come residency app time and they can sneak up on you out of no where if you piss off the wrong person or make a habit out of blowing things off. They’re way more flexible and understanding once you start having clinical duties so just suck it up for now.

Reactions: 1 users
You are not alone. I also do not like mandatory lectures. We have just enough (>=1 per day) to make it impossible to go to something like a wedding without getting permission weeks in advance. I think they do it to ensure that they can keep track of us daily (professionalism as Southplains mentioned).

Reactions: 1 user
Ahhh professionalism. The medschool synonym of ‘because I said so’

Reactions: 12 users