Hate Neuro... a lot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ubengi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In Neuro II right now at my school, focusing more on pathology and clinical aspect of Neuro this year. I hated last year because I didn't like Neurophysiology, but honestly hate it even more this year cause I'm just not really interested in Neuropharmacology or the neuro exam. I know its a really important field that I can't just totally neglect in the future, but are there any specialties that aren't very heavily neuro based that I might enjoy more so than others? Most other systems I'm pretty interested in for the most part but Neuro is easily my least favorite and worst subject area. Not a great student either so I probably won't have the luxury of matching something really competitive like Derm or Ortho. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Nursing might fit the bill

Seriously tho, OB maybe...

Reactions: 4 users
Nursing might fit the bill

Seriously tho, OB maybe...

OB I imagine has a good deal of neuro and endo associated with it. Pt not hitting puberty? what's wrong. Pt not having contractions? What's wrong. Pt has bladder issues? Is it neuro or is it muscular.

Members don't see this ad :)
General surgery?

Also a basic neuro exam is rather simple, run through cranial nerves, dermatomes, sensation, proprioception, reflexes, and motor/muscle strength. That's probably basic stuff everyone needs to know how to do.

OB I imagine has a good deal of neuro and endo associated with it. Pt not hitting puberty? what's wrong. Pt not having contractions? What's wrong. Pt has bladder issues? Is it neuro or is it muscular.
They said minimal neuro and not extremely competitive.

I'd still say OB is lighter compared to many other fields. All medicine has neuro in it which again, the OP noted.

They said minimal neuro and not extremely competitive.

I'd still say OB is lighter compared to many other fields. All medicine has neuro in it which again, the OP noted.

What competitive ones have minimal neuro?

What competitive ones have minimal neuro?
I'd say Celty's suggestion of General Surgery is a good start. I mean I don't think GS is Uber competitive, but you're heading into the realm of more competitive. Then there's one you mentioned yourself in Derm. You could make radiology non neuro specific if you wanted to after residency- I know docs that do purely MSK or breast imaging etc

The title of this thread breaks my heart :(

Reactions: 2 users
Send them to the neurologist if you suspect a neuro problem.

Reactions: 1 user
Your brain hates learning about itself.

Reactions: 1 users
In Neuro II right now at my school, focusing more on pathology and clinical aspect of Neuro this year. I hated last year because I didn't like Neurophysiology, but honestly hate it even more this year cause I'm just not really interested in Neuropharmacology or the neuro exam. I know its a really important field that I can't just totally neglect in the future, but are there any specialties that aren't very heavily neuro based that I might enjoy more so than others? Most other systems I'm pretty interested in for the most part but Neuro is easily my least favorite and worst subject area. Not a great student either so I probably won't have the luxury of matching something really competitive like Derm or Ortho. Thanks.

Family med is surface level. The moment you spot neuro issue just refer to a neurologist.

I second obgyn.

If you're a poor DO student, nothing surgical will be possible so basically you're stuck with FM, OB, and can maybe get away with IM and pass all your exams with missing every neuro question by getting everything else correct and with the same idea as above, refer if neuro comes along. You would just be a sh** internist tho if neuro symptoms are associated symptoms.

Honestly I hated neuro too, but pretend someone is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to learn neuro or else... Or just imagine doing Rural medicine in northern Nevada for bombing the boards from all the neuro questions. That's pretty good motivation when you tell someone imagine the cow smells, horrible seasonal allergies, chick-fil-a everyday for lunch, and fat white folks who will talk about how amazing trump is all day.

Motivated yet?

Neuro itself is very interesting. However, Neuroanatomy is pissing me off w/ the way some Anatomist masturbating over some useless tract like the rubrospinal tract in which there have been researchs shown that it has been useless in primates and humans.

Neuro itself is very interesting. However, Neuroanatomy is pissing me off w/ the way some Anatomist masturbating over some useless tract like the rubrospinal tract in which there have been researchs shown that it has been useless in primates and humans.

Neuroanatomy gets more valid when you start learning about things like strokes, tumors, and degenerative diseases.