Hate to ask but bad semester chances...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pc0898

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore at FSU and am having a really bad semester. Right now i am only taking three classes, reason being i just transferred for in state tuition but i missed the deadline and its all my family could afford for this semester, which is one thing I'm worried about. Another thing is my grades dropped very low compared to my freshman year, I had a rough time with the transfer and then pledged and was just kind of a lazy mess. I am taking Orgo I, Precalc, and an evolution class (sort of a gen ed). I am expecting either a c+ or b- in the evolution class and also in precalc unless the final gets curved, and right now have a B+ in orgo but am unsure of how well i will do on the final. Pretty much i wanted to ask am i screwed from predent at this point, i had a light semester and still messed up big time my eyes. My freshman year GPA was a 3.53 (A in bio 1, b+ in bio 2, b in chem 1 and b+ in chem 2). so will this dip cause issues?

Members don't see this ad.

One bad semester/quarter will not completely ruin your chances. I had a really bad quarter just last year where I got one F, two withdraws, and one pass. I still got accepted on Dec 1st this year. Just make sure you do well from now on. You still have time to work hard to ace the final so you can get a good grade in orgo, which is the most important class out of the three you are taking.

Reactions: 1 user
you are absolutely fine as long as you keep working hard! just refocus and you'll be set :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can refocus you will be fine. One semester with a sub 3.0 and especially only 12 credits will not kill you. Try to focus in and kill the next 2.5 years!

You’re fine for now, but start taking your education seriously. I also joined a fraternity my first year and ended up with a 2.78 gpa. I took some leadership roles for a few semester and managed to raise it up to 2.87 by the end of my sophomore year. I slowly had to phase out Greek life my junior year to get a 3.29 overall gpa by graduation.

Overall, I don’t regret pledging since it did force me out of my social comfort zone, met some lifelong friends, and plenty of girls. Although I had more obstacles to overcome to compensate for my below average gpa to get into a dental school. You should start focusing now before it is too late.