Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Havard

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BushBaby, Jan 30, 2002.

1. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I emailed Harvard yesterday regarding my application status and they emailed me back this morning saying:
    "Your application is ready for review. If you are invited for an interview,
    you will hear from us by early February."

I don't know if this is good news/bad news but at least it's news. At least he didn't say I was flat out rejected. Please wish me luck guys. I have no acceptances yet but getting an interview at this school would make my year. Acceptance can come later :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. mma

mma Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Good luck, Mellow!

The person who answers the e-mails at Harvard is not someone who makes people feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

There's still time!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you...

mma

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. UCLA2000

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Don't even get me started on the rude, pretentious, and haughty attitude that I got from one person in particular (who will remain nameless) that works in the Haaaavvad admissions office.

I've been calling in for months to check on my letter of rec. I called numerous times and ,even though I called between the hours of 3:05 and 3:06 on the third day of the year of the lunar eclipse covering the blue moon,the person still didn't take the time to find out if my letters of rec were received. I even went so far as to contact the UCLA letter of rec office who also called and spoke to the same person, and he flat out told them that he had better things to do than try and find the letters for just some random applicant.

As a result of his lazyness I didn't find out that my letters were missing until the day before the deadline. I had to resubmit the damn things because they lost the freaking things.
    How do I know that they lost them? Well I had them tracked and they were signed for at Haaavaaad by somebody in their office...yet they never got into my file.

I cannot believe how rude that person has been, and am astonished that he could single handedly sabatoge my application to that school. It is soooo late in the process that they probably won't even review my application before they stop handing out interviews.

4. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sorry to hear about your experience UCLA2000. You should try emailing them if you have further questions. They replied pretty quickly to my request regarding my status. Maybe it was someone else who replied my email. I hope the person really looked into my application instead of giving the "your file is coming up for review" chatter. I always include my social security number and AMCAS ID number when ever I write these schools, some have a computer system and having some ID number helps cut down the work....something a lot of admission office personnel don't want to do!

5. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

I've had good luck with Jason Graff. I mean, he responds rather curtly, but he always gets back to me very quickly. I suppose if you get hundreds of emails a day then it gets annoying to be polite to every one. :D

But he gets back to me quickly, and he answers my questions pretty quickly...

6. mma

mma Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think I have complained about this before. This same guy almost sabotaged my application as well. How? He would not send me a secondary application because he did not have a preprinted address label for me. He had my address--I had him read it to me over the phone, but without the label, he said he could do nothing. I told him I would send him a label. He got mad. He gave me the website address for the secondary, but told me "I would suggest that you not do anything until you receive the instruction booklet. There is nothing so unimpressive to an admissions committee as an applicant who does not follow directions."

After 2 months of fighting with him, I sicked higher powers on him. The same day I got am e-mail from him saying he had mailed the secondary. Two weeks later, my boss's secretary told me that I had received an envelope from Harvard, but that because the address was HANDWRITTEN, she did not think it was important and put it in my work mailbox. So, I finally got my hands on the secondary and completed it in 6 minutes. Follow instructions? Please. I know that when it says name you are supposed to write your name.

So, what ticks me off about this guy, aside from his general demeanor, is:
    a) He would not send me the secondary because he did not have a preprinted address label and he ended up hand-writing the address any way. Had he done this oh-so-simple task 2 months prior, I would not have had to exchange words with him and complain about him to higher-ups.

b) He completely ignored the fact that my preferred address is not my work address. The smug little man was simply trying to get me in trouble with my boss. Fortunately for me my boss was waiting for this envelope just as anxiously as I was. Heh, heh, heh.

UCLA2000--I am so sorry that you also have had a hard time with him. Sadly, he is the first contact that students have with the admissions office. He does respond quickly, but is typically rude and often unhelpful. I know Harvard is Harvard and many people will pay zillions of dollars to go there even if their interviewers throw mud at them, but I still believe that the adcom would like for students to have a pleasant application process from beginning to end. This guy is not a good representative for such an amazing school.

I hope the rest of you have not had to exchange words with him! And, really, he is the anomaly--everyone else that I met and have dealt with at HMS have been friendly, accomodating people.

Good luck, everyone, with this guy and everything else...

mma

7. Original

Original Ogori-Magongo Warrior
    7+ Year Member

I saw that dude when I interviewed there. He looked like a spoiled little mean brat. He was wearing a tie and sucking on some christmas candy behind his desk. The students were great and my interviewer was very nice as well. What didn't go down too well with me was a statement I heard at orientation... "the new masters in biomedical research program gives physicians an opportunity to tag-on a Harvard credential behind their names". I was thinking: what a waste! an entire program just for such a flimsy end.