1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Have a question about NSU-COM Rotations

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by dradams, Apr 11, 2004.

1. dradams

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm a nontrad applicant applying for this next year and I live in Stuart, FL. I would like to know from anyone attending NSU or anyone else who knows whether it is possible to live in Stuart during the 3rd and 4th years while doing rotations. I have seen that NSU has rotation sites in Palm Beach, which is not much of a commute from where I currently live. Are these decent sites? Can one do all of the rotations in Palm Beach? I am trying to figure out how to go back to med school with a wife and kids.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dradams

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Where are all the NSU people to help me out.

4. bgibney

bgibney Member
    10+ Year Member

Only an M1, so I'll answer as best as I can:

The West Palm rotation is set where you do your core rotations at three hospitals - the main one (JFK I think), the VA, and a peds hospital. Is it good, I don't know, but it would seem that this set up would work out well for a student.

Your 3rd year you do all your core rotations at that hospital or system. The core rotations are IM (3 mo), GS (2 mo), OB/gyn (1 mo), FP (2 mo), Geriatrics (1 mo), Psych (1 mo), Peds (2 mo), and EM (1 mo) - EM is done during your fourth year. The rest of fourth year you have 3 mo of rural/underserved rotation, 1 mo of that being elective; 5 mo of electives, 3 must be in primary care (the umbrella of primary care is large - gas and rads fall under it), and 1 month of vacation.

Hope that helps

5. dradams

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks a lot. Great info.

6. Heeed!

Heeed! On target, On time!
    10+ Year Member

BGibney is so smart! He just knows things! :horns: