1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Have any DO students applied to Wayne State this year?

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by futuredo32, Dec 19, 2008.

1. futuredo32

futuredo32 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have heard/read that in the past, that Wayne State required DO students applying to their psychiatry program to do an osteopathic intern year and then reapply to the Wayne State program to start all over as a PGY-1 the following year. I was just wondering if this was still the case with the ease in getting a waiver for Michigan 's osteopathic intern year requirements that have come about lately.

My interview at Wayne State isn't until February, AFTER the DO rank list is due. Would it be inappropriate to email the program directors secretary and ask her about this prior to my interview?

#1 futuredo32, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. colleezfascia

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sounds like a load of crap to me. NO program is worth an extra year residency. This DO student has interviewed at a number of top tier programs, and not a single one requires such garbage. If this is true, why would you even bother ranking this program when there are so many other excellent programs that don't require that extra year?

4. futuredo32

futuredo32 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Michigan is one of the five states that still has the rule about osteopathic graduates having to do a DO intern year (though they are now very generous with the waiver:D ).
    I need to stay in Michigan for my residency, so that limits my choices quite a bit.

5. billypilgrim37

billypilgrim37 Unstuck in Time
    Physician Faculty 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician

6. colleezfascia

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have interviewed at programs in 2 of those 5 states, and both programs tailor the intern year a bit, so it satisfies the AOA requirements. At neither of these programs do DOs have to do an extra year.

7. futuredo32

futuredo32 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician

8. futuredo32

futuredo32 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Here's hoping that Wayne State would be willing to do that as well this year.

9. NJWxMan

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    West Virginia University requires the intern year OR to have the petition completed prior to the rank date. Only one major problem with their requirement is that it is impossible to get the petition completed prior to starting residency. In short, I won't be making the trek down to Morgantown.

10. Doc Samson

Doc Samson gamma irradiated
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just for my own edificiation - what's different about an osteopathic intern year?

11. futuredo32

futuredo32 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not that Wayne State or any other allopathic program in one of the five states will do things the exact same way, but out of curiousity, did W.Virginia University let you know this after responding to your ERAS application or did you hear it from other people who interviewed there?

12. futuredo32

futuredo32 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    In the past, the DO intern year included one month of general surgery and one month of OB/Gyn. Currently, I don't think there's much difference. The dually accredited program where I interviewed had the same rotations for both DOs and MDs. (4 months of primary care of some sort, two months of neuro, a few electives and the remaining months are psych). I also applied for a dually accredited internship year with a psychiatry focus and again, the rotations were the same for MDs and DOs- here it was four months of inpatient IM, two months of neuro, and six months of psychiatry.

DOs have a small OMM component for which something like a presentation/paper or two from the DOs satisfies the OMM component.(I'm not sure about the specifics, but it's something really close to what I stated and not difficult to accomodate from what I've been told from DOs currently doing an MD residency.)

#11 futuredo32, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  13. futuredo32

futuredo32 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Any opinions about whether or not it would be appropriate for me to email the program's secretary prior to my interview to ask about whether or not Wayne State requires DOs to do an osteopathic intern year?

14. billypilgrim37

billypilgrim37 Unstuck in Time
    Physician Faculty 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    That would be entirely appropriate. While it ain't far from you, there's no reason to go interview at a place you would not consider ranking because of inane rules that are out of your hands. And that's the sort of info that would justify you ranking them or not.