Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Have any of you medical students started in a community college?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sk8hendrix19, Jan 2, 2009.

1. sk8hendrix19

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Sorry, I know this question gets asked a lot, but it is usually in the pre-medical forum. I want to hear from the ones who actually made it, the ones who have facts, not speculation on the subject. So here is my story. I was a terrible high school student, one that did not care about grades. I did graduate, but only with a GPA of 2.2. Because of my terrible high school years, I could not get acceptance into any university, so I had to start in a community college. I am 100% dedicated to school now, and have a GPA of 3.8/4.0. My community college has a transfer connection with Indiana University, and as long as I leave community college with a 3.5, I will surely get accepted to IU. Once there, I plan to get a bachelor's in an area of science, either biology or cognitive science. My question is, even if I do great at IU, take all of my pre-med pre-reqs at IU, volunteer, and do pretty good on the M-CAT, will the fact that I had to start at Community College ruin my chances of Medical School? Sorry I am asking you guys, but you are the ones with the true experience. Do I have a chance?

2. OddNath

OddNath Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    No. Many people start out in community college to save some money while getting credit for intro classes. Lucky for you, no one gives a rat's @ss about high school gpa. Just keep your head up, do well in college, and don't look back.

3. scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My UCLA interviewer started at community college before transferring to UCLA and getting his MD/PhD there. He only JUST finished his fellowship training (phew!) By all accounts he is an amazing teacher and clinician. Sorry I don't have any specifics, but thought you could use an inspirational story. :D

4. 236116

doesn't matter at all.

5. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Most schools do not care.

I am sure the upper tier would to some extent.

Just do the best you can once you get to the university to back up your CC GPA.

I did and have no problems when asked so far.

6. 236116

some dude did all his science at a cc and got into stanford.

7. Forthegood

Forthegood ProcrastinationAficionado
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ^^^ Probably a 44T as well...

It only matters if they think you did it to find an easy way out of hard classes. If you didn't, it doesn't matter.

8. turkeyjerky

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    several of my classmates initially attended community colleges

9. NAVYLABTECH08

NAVYLABTECH08 DA DOCTOR IS HERE
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I started at a CC. Not recommended though. If not for my mcat BS & PS both being >12, I may not have gotten in. I took all science pre-reqs at a CC and only O. chem at a university. Even with A's, This topic was brought up in all my interviews.

10. NAVYLABTECH08

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

11. 236116

What'd you get in 4 yr?

It's generally the case that CC does not mess up your application.

Scare tactics?

12. NAVYLABTECH08

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

Sorry friend, you are wrong. During the interview, my interviewer told me about a scale that they use. This scale distinguishes School A class from School B class, since certain schools have difficult curriculums.

Example: Student A took Physics at Berry College and got a A-
    Student B took Physics at MIT and got a B-

Since the course at MIT ia harder, student B gets more points than student A, even though student A had the higher score.

The problem is that this scale does value CCs. There is no way for adcom to determine how hard the CC class was compared to a 4 yr university. This is a small impact, but if 1 seat remains and its between a CC & 4yr student, these extra points could be the difference. As for me, I got my BS in biology and many of my lower biology classes were overlooked because of my upper level science classes. (i.e human cadaever) My stats were 3.7 BCPM & 34R MCAT

13. MedMan25

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My GPA in high school was probably lower than yours. I did almost all of my pre-reqs at a community college. I'll be starting my second semester of medical school on Monday.

14. MedMan25

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think this just depends on the school. There are plenty of med schools who could care less about some science classes being taken at a CC

15. JuliaGulia2789

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You can do well with cc credits as long as you do well at your transfer institution.

#15 JuliaGulia2789, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  16. Handy388

Removed

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Went to 7 Interviews, 4 of them being top 20 schools, my CC years were never brought up. I have acceptance as well.

17. 236116

Every single adcom member on this board disagrees with you. Nice try.

18. NAVYLABTECH08

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

Okay, let me restate my claim, since you obviously have no idea what I am saying.

#1: I did not say that all CCs are bad. I started at CC. The issue is with taking 100% of pre-med science classes (bio, physics, o. chem, chem) at a CC.

Adcom in medicine, dental, and pharmacy are picky about where pre-med sciences are taken. I personally know someone retaking some CC pre-pharm classes that he aced at a CC, now at a 4-yr university. Not my rule.

*I did not think that CC was a issue either, until Emory spelled it out for me!

19. 236116

And you. are. still. wrong.

Regardless of your experience at Emory-- which is not supported by anything I can find on their website-- no adcom is going to dock a student who took up-to-and-including-all of their science basics at a CC (those being, 1 yr bio, g chem, calc, o chem, physics).

Why? Because these days CC is a viable alternative to spending 8k for the first 2 years of gen ed reqs. The quality tends to be on-par with at least the mid-range uni out there-- they wouldn't survive otherwise. Because more and more and more people are delaying matriculation to a 4yr by going to CC. It's not "junior" college anymore, you can't major in beer and girls. It is just one more school.

I don't know what you did, but people on this board are intelligent enough to realise that adcoms have not always caught up with the real world. We back up our stats with classes in 4yr (upper bio. b chem. etc).

It's about more than numbers and locations and I suspect that is where you were lacking.

20. closer23

closer23 Liberal
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I agree, and so does everyone else. This is why the typical response to this question is:

No one will care as long as you take the pre-reqs at the 4 year and you have no noticeable drop in average GPA at the 4 year in comparison to the CC.

21. exoslimjim

2+ Year Member

you don't have to go to emory to know this... plenty of schools will tell you CCs are not the same. Not even on par... talk to a a graduate adviser or your dep head.

22. FrickenhugeMD

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I did my first 2 years at a CC and I can't complain about the process one bit. I even F'ed up my first semester at CC and still got in....

My advice is to take about 1/2 of the pre-recs at your CC and when you transfer take the other 1/2. Just make sure you do well once you transfer, as that is the key here. Also make sure that ALL of the credits you are taking at this CC will transfer into REAL credits once you are at IU. I almost made the mistake of taking some fun sounding classes to fill up my schedule, only to realize right before I did that they didnt transfer. Keep that in mind and you should be fine

23. 236116

:D I love that my system has an articulated gen ed system, and a computer database you can look in to see how it goes.

24. FrickenhugeMD

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just as 4 year universities, there are more reputable CC than others. Just make sure the 4 year institution you want to go recognizes the credits you have earned. This is something that looking up on a schools website will tell you. If all the credits are directly transferable you are fine.

Every single credit I took my first 2 years at a CC transferred to my 4 yr school MSU. I could have just as easily have gone to U of M with and had the same results, as they would have taken all the same credits.

I saved a TON of money by going to a CC, don't let haters who haven't been bring you down. Do you research and do well once you get to the 4 yr and you're golden.