Have any of you pre-MD people been asked "why not DO?" during interviews?

bozz

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2007
Status
Just to see if you've considered all the options. Some of the training that DOs undergo seems pretty interesting.

10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Nope.

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I don't think it is common for MD interviews to ask 'why not DO,' but DO interviews will definitely ask 'why DO?' MD and DO are extremely similar and there really isn't any reason to ask why one and not the other when really they are two slightly different paths to one common goal.

PinkLittmann

10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2007
around chicago
Status
Pre-Medical
No. However, I was asked why not nursing during an interview. That really sort of pissed me off. I had to wonder to myself if they asked all the guys who interviewed ... why not nursing? I also agree with JaggerPlate, from what I've heard DO schools will ask why you are interested in pursuing a DO.

Wylde

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
No. However, I was asked why not nursing during an interview. That really sort of pissed me off. I had to wonder to myself if they asked all the guys who interviewed ... why not nursing? I also agree with JaggerPlate, from what I've heard DO schools will ask why you are interested in pursuing a DO.
You probably used a bad answer to: "Why Medicine?"

If you give an incomplete/poor answer (ie "I want to help people"), then the question about nursing is an obvious follow-up!

Because you want to help people, why don't you choose a career in PA/nursing/social work/teaching/volunteer organization/etc.

This is one example^^

doomknight

Bing
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
Status
cuz MD school gives you the title MD, while DO doesn't, they are all the same otherwise, or pretty much so...

bioteach

MSIV
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I applied both MD and DO. I mentioned to an interviewer (MD school) that I also applied to DO schools (he asked "where else have you applied?"). He seemed surprised and asked "why did you choose to apply to both?". I said that I want to be a physician and both DO and MD provide a route to do so. He seemed to really like that answer and proceeded to tell me about how DO's are well respected nowadays and both types of schools prepare excellent physicians. So I think it worked out to my advantage in that interview because he saw that I want to be a physician and I wasn't just caught up on the "prestige" of being an MD.

iluvpuppies

they r so cute
10+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2008
Status
Medical Student
u were there and i wasnt, but they may not have been being sexist in ask "why not nursing?" Nurses have a very very valueable role in the hospital that involves a great deal of patient care. There is also a real shortage. I have noticed that in describing their rationale to be a doctor, the kind of role that many describe wanting to have sometimes is more characteristic of the role of a nurse. at revisit for med school even, when we were asked "what does a doctor do?" the first couple answers people gave described a variety of roles in the healthcare field and not necessarily one specific to a doctor. the physician giving the lecture showed how to shape the responses so u were actually describing a physician instead of a nurse, etc.

--then again, u might ahve had a ratchetty old sexist interviewer who meant to imply women shouldnt be doctors--i dont know.

RySerr21

i aint kinda hot Im sauna
10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
cuz MD school gives you the title MD, while DO doesn't, they are all the same otherwise, or pretty much so...
are the letters behind your name that important to you? a few of my pre med friends are like that. i ask them if they consider applying to DO and they look at me like i'm asking a stupid question... some answering " no, i want the letters MD behind me name" or even worse "no, i want to be a doctor"

but whatever...to each his/her own.

TopperHarley

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
May 4, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Just to see if you've considered all the options. Some of the training that DOs undergo seems pretty interesting.
No, but that question is a slam-dunk: 1) Higher tuition 2) Lower caliber student body (avg gpa 3.3 wtfbbq) 3) More difficult for residency acceptance 4) Fewer connections, poorer networking 5) Less prestige 6) Lower caliber education (compared to good allo schools) 7) Learning some hokey concepts like manipulations, etc

Ooch

10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I wasn't asked, but for me, DO was never an option because I'm interested in practicing internationally and the DO degree isn't universally recognized across the globe. Not a judgment, just a fact.