have any older nontrads taken advantage of student hosting during interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stolen_biscuit

MS3
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am debating doing this, but I am wondering if it's too odd. I am well into my 30's and assume the student hosts are mostly young single people. I don't really care, but might they?

I don't mind getting a hotel, but I have heard that student hosts can provide some insight into the school that might be valuable in both interview comfort and in decision-making.

Also, would it be wrong to ask what sleeping arrangements are? There's no way I'm going to sleep on a couch and then be all perky for my interview in the a.m. :laugh: If they have a spare bed or a pull-out couch, I'm golden!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, would it be wrong to ask what sleeping arrangements are? There's no way I'm going to sleep on a couch and then be all perky for my interview in the a.m. :laugh: If they have a spare bed or a pull-out couch, I'm golden!

I would never assume that students would have a spare bed, unless they specifically find lucky ones for the hosting service. Most pull-out couches are less comfortable in bed form than a regular couch anyway!

I would never assume that students would have a spare bed, unless they specifically find lucky ones for the hosting service.

Me either. That's why I was wondering if it was okay to ask. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
What I did when I was interviewing was stay two nights. I'd spend the night before the interview in a hotel, and the night of my interview day with a student. Best of both worlds, and I also didn't have to stress about trying to catch a post-interview flight. :cool:

I'm 30 and stayed with student hosts at most of my interviews last year. It was never a big deal. Most of my hosts were 22 year old MS1s and I slept on everything from couches to spare beds. My last few interviews I was getting a little tired of crashing on couches so I started staying at hotels.

I thought it was pretty fun to stay with students. Usually they can tell you a lot more about the school than you'll learn from presentations on interview day. Also nice to have a contact person to ask questions about the school down the road when you have to make a decision.

What I did when I was interviewing was stay two nights. I'd spend the night before the interview in a hotel, and the night of my interview day with a student. Best of both worlds, and I also didn't have to stress about trying to catch a post-interview flight. :cool:

That's a great idea! I had thought to do the opposite (I think because 1 of my interviews specified student hosting the night before), but this works out well.

I thought it was pretty fun to stay with students. Usually they can tell you a lot more about the school than you'll learn from presentations on interview day. Also nice to have a contact person to ask questions about the school down the road when you have to make a decision.

Thank you for the specific benefits. I think I will try it. :)

I havent made it that far (hopefully next year!!) but I plan on doing both. Or at least getting a hotel and staying late with the students. I will be be 34. But I figure its important, I'm older but many of these students will be my "mentors" and colleagues.

Q's idea is a good one, if you have time. Because of work and class schedules I ended up doing most of my interview trips in two days/one night. (fly out the day before, stay the night, fly back the evening after the interview) I stayed with very nice, very young student hosts for my first two interviews and stuck to hotels thereafter. My thinking was that A) if I was spending $700+ on flights then another hundred for a hotel was worth a good night's sleep and B) while the students could be a great resource, that would mostly come into play once (if?) I was actually accepted. If you can stay two nights I'd definitely try the hotel-->student option, though. Good luck!

edited to add: This was as a 32 year old, sleep-deprived brand new parent.