Have anyone gotten into Dental School with the following or similar Criteria?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What would you do in my position?

• Retake Science class

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Apply for Dental School

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Master School

Votes: 14 93.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

acegoalgirl123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently at pre-dental student and I'm going to be a senior in the Fall. I haven't taken my DAT yet, but now I am wondering if I need to take a Master's Program.

Here's my situation.

My overall gpa is 3.24 and my science gpa is 2.8. I have previously retaken a biology course. I haven't taken any practice DAT or the actual DAT yet. I am currently doing 3 different types of Research, one in physical therapy, one in cancer and one in clinical psychology. I currently work as a dental assistant. I previously volunteer on a dental service mission, shadowed a general dentist my freshmen year to ensure this is what I want to do and been a volunteer at a Dental School. In addition, I work another job to help pay for tuition and textbooks for each year. I have TA general chemistry and 2 sociology classes. I am a double major in Biology and Sociology with a Chemistry minor. I am really hoping to bring up my gpa and science gpa without courses I'm taking this year. In addition, I have one W on my transcript. The W is because I had to drop a science class in the summer because my grandpa got sick and my mother needed to go take care of him, so she needed me to help out around the house and family business. In addition, I help out at my family business every weekend.

My question is would I have a shot at dental school without a master's program? or Would it be better to retake a few classes. or Should I go to a master's program?

Members don't see this ad.

It would be very difficult to get in without a master's program or post-bac to raise your science GPA. It's possible you could bypass both if you did stellar on your DAT, which you'll want to aim to do very well on regardless. I wouldn't be worried about one W, it's really not a big deal.

Does your GPA have an upward trend?

Reactions: 1 users
It would be very difficult to get in without a master's program or post-bac to raise your science GPA. It's possible you could bypass both if you did stellar on your DAT, which you'll want to aim to do very well on regardless. I wouldn't be worried about one W, it's really not a big deal.

Does your GPA have an upward trend?

My gpa sorts of have an upward trend. It decline last semester for the Spring. I was hoping to increase it this upcoming year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take dats first and see how you do. Then as you do your masters apply to a couple of schools to see where you stand and retake data if needed. If you work toward it... You have the highest chance of getting in the second year of masters.

Too hard to say. If you got an 18 on the DAT I would say get a Masters or at least retake more classes and don't apply for graduation yet untill you've retaken classes. If you got a 23 then I would say just apply and you'll most likely get an interview.