have applicants noticed that despite getting good scores on AAMC practice exams, that actual scores were much lower with the shorter format?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedMissteps

The Great West Coast
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m seeing a local trend of applicants greatly disappointed with their recent score results because their AAMC practice MCAT exams were scoring in the 510-515 range but their newly released scores of the newly-shortened exams are in the 498-505 range.

Are any of you noticing a similar trend? And if so, what are you attributing it to? Do you think that prepping for the 2015 version MCAT was not adequate preparation for the shortened 2020 Covid version?

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Personally, I’m not noticing any trend. Whether it’s shortened or not, the MCAT is scored using percentiles, so the average should be 500 with the usual bell curve. Also, most people who do well on the MCAT don’t post here because they don’t need to retake within the next few weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
I think people who are surprised (good or bad) are more likely to post. There’s probably a lot of people who got exactly what they expected but they just don’t talk about it.

Reactions: 4 users
My AAMC FL scores ranged between 517-522. I took the shortened exam on 6/20. Subjectively, I found the test harder, and definitely felt more pressed for time, especially on CARS and B/B. I also missed the lack of the full 30 minute break. However, I scored the highest I ever scored on the actual test (523), so take what I have said with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My AAMC FL scores ranged between 517-522. I took the shortened exam on 6/20. Subjectively, I found the test harder, and definitely felt more pressed for time, especially on CARS and B/B. I also missed the lack of the full 30 minute break. However, I scored the highest I ever scored on the actual test (523), so take what I have said with a grain of salt.

Did you have a consistent upward trend in your AAMC FLs over time?

I work full-time (ICU RN, caring for sick COVIDs), so I started in January, and I originally was supposed to take my test on 5/19.

Jan-Feb - read through/completed TBR book set except CARS (which I did a few from every couple of days) and Kaplan biochem.

March-April - Continued TBR CARS, Started/finished Uworld. Marked difficult problems from Uworld to drill and learn.

April-May - Started AAMC content. Found out my test was postponed. Read through MCAT Bros 300 pg. KA psych document. Carefully reviewed FL/SB wrong answers, which I kept in an Excel document. Got NS since I wanted more FLs.

May-June - Took the 3 weeks before the test off. Read through the 300 of doc again. Took the last two AAMC FLs. Reviewed wrong answers/drilled weak areas.

I used Anki, which I found helpful, but I wasn't super diligent about it. My one bit of advice is to not forget to re-review your strong areas - I underperformed B/B because I focused so much on C/P & P/S.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you. I was just asking for the student of a friend of mine. Her daughter had been scoring in the 514-517 range all year but scored MUCH lower on the real deal. They were totally shocked, of course.

While I haven't noticed a trend, I'd think a shortened test would have a larger margin of error. If you look on reddit mcat threads on score release day, you'll see actual scores above and below their FL average with no clear trend. And since they post their thoughts before the release, and update afterwards, there's no selection towards extra disappointed/elated people. N=1 but my real score was 5 points higher than my FL average as well.

Not really. I ended up doing better though, largely cuz of P/S

505, 506, 508, 508, to a 513 on the real thing

Folks who scored above or below their anticipated score tend to post much more frequently than those who score as expected. Due to nerves and the high stakes of the exam, this group tends to skew towards folks who score below their average. The vast majority of test takers that I have worked with score within 2-3 points of their practice average. It is very rare that someone scores 4+ points higher but much more likely that someone scores 4+ points lower.

My last AAMC practice test (FL4) I took 10 days before my exam and got a 516. Got a 516 on the real thing.

Last edited: