• No

Votes: 59 78.7%

• Total voters

feeling_wronged

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Status
fellow sdners,

i need your advice. i was dismissed from my med school weeks ago. now, i have found out what they did was completely wrong. i have shown this new information to my school and they agree with me too. so, i will be coming back shortly. however, i feel like i have experienced a great injustice at the hands of my school. the school swiped my life's dream away from me in an instant and in such a cold fashion. for weeks, i wondered what would happen to me. it was humiliating to tell others that it was all over. and i have lost valuable time. i cannot express enough how angry i am about this experience. i am considering a lawsuit against my school for needless mental anguish and suffering. but should i? i'm afraid that it will hurt me when it comes time to residency, but it seems so unfair to me to just let them get away with this. opinions?

LVDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
Status
I'm sure it was hard to go through that, but let's face it, you're going back to school now. If you end up filing a lawsuit on your school, I bet it's going to be big news - plus, it is fairly pointless considering they relooked it over and agreed with you. If you had been kicked out for good for no just reason, then yes, you should def. get a lawyer & take it up against them. My feeling is that, if you file a lawsuit against your school, your experiences there for the remainder of your training are not going to be very rosy (from professors to administrators). Plus, my guess is...the residency directors would probably come to find this out about you. Would you be a liability to their program if you decide to file a case against them as well?

Forget about it and move on...

patelakshar

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Status
Pre-Medical
The important thing is that they've let you back in. This was just one of those bumps on the way to your dream. I'm sure it seems horrible, but 'smile and keep walking'.
As Sir Winston Churchill once said: "If your walking through hell, keep walking."

Disclaimer: I don't know your situation and I am not a lawyer. Take my advice with a grain of salt.

typeB-md

Be more like McCain!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2005
Status
why don't you tell us what you did? you know, so that we can better assist you.

OP
F

feeling_wronged

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Status
the school had this policy and i had violated it because the penalty for doing so was not serious. btw, many students were violating the policy. when the school dismissed me, they did not realize what penalty they originally told us. they dismissed me because it would mean extra work for some profs, not because what i did was heinous. they were hoping if they got rid of me that the profs wouldn't have to do the extra work. they basically dismissed me out of convenience -- and this is what really angers me. if the school had told us the correct information in the first place, none of these problems would have happened.

btw, the school was initially reluctant to correct its own mistake. they originally wanted to give me a deal that was extremely against my favor. i had to threaten them with a lawsuit before they would agree with my very reasonabl position.

LVDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
Status
I feel like re-editing my post all over again.

That is seriously a trivial issue. Don't file a lawsuit. It sounds pretty petty to want to go after something like that.

OP
F

feeling_wronged

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Status
yeah, it's clear that the school is at fault. i don't expect them to go to trial with this. it would be a huge embarrassment for the school. they would settle out of court i'm sure.

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
Status
if you sue the school, you will not get one ounce of support from them down the road, esp. when it comes time to apply for residency. Not to mention the fact that you'll establish a reputation as being a major pain in the a--. Given that they've let you back in, you don't have much of a case anyway...at least not one with merit.

OP
F

feeling_wronged

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Status
getting back in is not a reward. it should never have happened in the first place. it's just correcting their mistake.

even if they do let me back in, i do have a legal case for a civil suit to seek damages. i have retained a lawyer.

Milo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
the school had this policy and i had violated it
So, exactly what policy did you violate?

because the penalty for doing so was not serious.
Minimization

btw, many students were violating the policy.
Rationalization

they dismissed me because it would mean extra work for some profs, not because what i did was heinous... they basically dismissed me out of convenience
I'm a little dubious.

i had to threaten them with a lawsuit before they would agree with my very reasonabl position.
Are they just placating you now because they realize you're so litigious?

fang

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2003
Purgatory
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What's with all these vague posts lately about cheating and dismissal? If you have an issue like this and want to discuss it here, let's hear all the facts! This board is anonymous for a reason. Otherwise it sounds like this:

"I didn't do anything wrong but someone thinks I did and now my school is throwing me out/letting me back in. Should I sue? Can I still match into derm?"

Please describe:
1. what you actually did
2. what the policy at your school is for that offense
3. what your school's response was
4. why they changed their mind
5. whether you'll be able to complete the curriculum with your classmates. If not, how has this harmed you in the end?

LSUwannabe

Just vomicked...
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
NOLA
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Milo offers a pretty compelling post.

In synopsis given the only facts you're willing to divulge, you:

-intentionally broke some rule
-the punishment was worse than you anticipated/should have been
-the excessive punishment has been rectified
-you are angry

...and you want some money?

While the school is in the wrong you've admitted you intentionally broke a rule and are thusly wrong as well.

You've also stated they "corrected their mistake" so do you just want some payback?

ColoMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2004
Status
First of all, you should not be taking advice on a legal course of action from SDN.

Lawsuits for "pain and suffering" alone are also incredibly difficult to win...any good lawyer who isn't just trying to collect billable hours from you would likely tell you the same.

However, if you were to file suit against your school, there is no doubt that you would win the complete resentment, hostility, and animosity of your institution. Keep this in mind: regardless of whether or not you feel your school is "getting away with it", a lawsuit won't help you at all. You can't sue your school when you get a condemnation for a Dean's Letter when you start to look for a residency.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
feeling_wronged said:
fellow sdners,

i need your advice. i was dismissed from my med school weeks ago. now, i have found out what they did was completely wrong. i have shown this new information to my school and they agree with me too. so, i will be coming back shortly. however, i feel like i have experienced a great injustice at the hands of my school. the school swiped my life's dream away from me in an instant and in such a cold fashion. for weeks, i wondered what would happen to me. it was humiliating to tell others that it was all over. and i have lost valuable time. i cannot express enough how angry i am about this experience. i am considering a lawsuit against my school for needless mental anguish and suffering. but should i? i'm afraid that it will hurt me when it comes time to residency, but it seems so unfair to me to just let them get away with this. opinions?
I can't believe you a both complaining about being kicked out of school for breaking the rules (yet you still haven't told us what it was) AND you want money for it.

Maybe we should pay everyone in prison for their troubles as well, since we took away their time at work.

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
feeling_wronged said:
however, i feel like i have experienced a great injustice at the hands of my school. the school swiped my life's dream away from me in an instant and in such a cold fashion. for weeks, i wondered what would happen to me. it was humiliating to tell others that it was all over. and i have lost valuable time.
You screwed yourself over. Take responsiblty for whatever you did and be thankful the school is taking you back.

P

Pterion

Milo's got it covered. The other respondents are also right. If you are going to sue the school every time you feel wronged, deeply inconvenienced or emotionally wounded your clinical years are going to be spent in a courtroom. I won't even get into that attitude's affect on your personal relationships.

Yes, this situation sucked. Sometimes you're the winshield, sometimes you're the bug. Sounds like you got to be both this time.

Paws

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2003
Visit site
Status
Say a prayer of thanks that they let you back in, write a list of "stupid things I have done and do not want to do again in the future," memorize that list. Then forget the lawyer and do your best to be a good student, a decent member of the class and try and find a way to make nice with the administration.

Time can heal all, but sometimes first we need to get our butts whipped to learn a lesson. Be mad, but don't sue. Learn from the situation and be a bigger person and move on.

velo

bottom of the food chain
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
He's just a damn troll, ignore him! ...jeez... :rolleyes:

anamarylee

A la grande le puse Cuca
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
Treasure Coast, FL
anamarylee.livejournal.com
Status
Attending Physician
feeling_wronged said:
i am considering a lawsuit against my school for needless mental anguish and suffering.
Were you hospitalized in a psychiatric hospital because of this? Did you undergo phychiatric treatment of any kind?

Why haven't you said exactly what it was that you did? Your lack of response makes me think you are simply venting. You didn't need to create a poll or retain a lawyer to vent your frustration.

Count your lucky starts they let you back in.

orion1978

15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2002
Visit site
Status
feeling_wronged said:
fellow sdners,

Seems a bit interesting that once the whole forum goes against you, you disappear.

ptolemy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2004
Status
why has noone mentioned that as doctors, we bitch about lawyers all the time, don't go running to one because you GOT BACK INTO medical school because YOU broke the rules. If you want to sue, I would recommend reconsidering your decision to enter med school, and pay the school some $$ for helping you figure this out.

azzarah

sleepy!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
I wouldn't sue as long as nothing showed on my record. Unfair things happen....this is life.