Have complaints about MCAT Administration? Read this.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A bunch of you have expressed your opinions about things that went wrong during the test administration for Aug. My contact at AAMC has given me the following information that I have to disclose to you:

Write a letter to this address (below), regarding your complaint. These guys do the hiring/firing, test site picking, etc etc for the MCAT.

Info needed in your letter: your name (ofcourse!), test site name/perhaps room name??, date you took the mcat, and your problem. Please use your discretion when writing these letters. The MCAT program office does heed to such letters, especially if it was also documented by the proctor that "such and such" happened. If a bunch of students have complained about the same thing, for the same test site, you will see action taken. Unfortunately, it may not help you directly, but it will help those people who take the test after you.

In the case of exceptionally bad situations (let's say proctor came half an hour late or something like that; again USE YOUR JUDGEMENT) especially if there's documentation by the proctor, and a bunch of letters from you students, the MCAT Program office will offer to send you a letter to your home describing the
situation for the examinee to provide to the medical schools to which you apply. It is your choice if you want to send the letter to medical schools or not, in order to explain the test conditions for your MCAT day.

Hope this helps you!

MCAT Program Office
P.O. Box 4056
Iowa City, IA 52243
(319) 337-1357

I have attached a phone number too, just in case you need it. But calling won't help; a letter will.

Members don't see this ad.

are any of you guys doing any of this????

I hope the work is not going in waste! :)
Tweetie

Thank you for posting the address. I was one of the students taking the MCAT in the sauna at UCONN. I will be writing a letter. I don't plan to use the heat as an excuse if my score is not what I hope; however, MCAT needs to know about the problems we encountered in order to fix them for next years administration.

Members don't see this ad :)
i wrote them to notify them of the inadequate lighting in some parts of the room. they wrote back saying they had confirmed with the test supervisor that some parts of the room did not have adequate lighting but that accomodations were made for those students who asked to be moved. then they said the supervisor told them that no students asked to be moved during the august mcat. what bullsh*t! i can't believe the test supervisor lied about it. i was totally over it, but now i'm more angry about it than ever. i was told that i could not move, because the tests would get out of order! aaaah!!! who would lie to save their stupid job as an mcat test supervisor anyway? so lame.

well,
I have a contact person at AAMC that I can speak to directly about this. I want to keep them anonymous but if you guys are serious, send me a PM and I will forward it to the person and have an answer ready for you within a few days.

Again, this is for serious inquiries. IF more than one student claims what you guys are mentioning, perhaps the proctor really needs changed or something. I am not comfortable with giving the name/number of this person (because they are really *that* busy) but I don't mind speaking to them about your inquiries.

So, PM me away. :)

I had a guy at my test site who would come and stand at my elbow for long periods and it freaked me out. He was the test proctor and you know how they are supposed to walk around and watch everyone well, he would walk around but then come and stand by my side (I was at the end of the bench) and just stand there. Man, it made me mental and I was too freaked by the test to say: hey! stop standing next to me buddy!

I am a woman and maybe other women will identify with this, but it was an older guy and he kept staring at me ... you guys might get the idea. Great, just what I need, some old guy mooning at me. :p

I figured afterwards I would next time just let him know to cut it out, but when you're so nervous to begin with...besides, I know plenty of people who were in saunas/had construction outside (!!) or a million other complaints so what the heck. It really upset me tho, and the test was so difficult as it was. Next time, I hope to be more aggressive and confident and assert myself if there's weirdness.

I know, you're right. I guess am just freaked about not having done very well I guess ... :eek: I assume I'll have to do it again :rolleyes:

Yeah, I just took my MCATS and the computer I used was awful!! Everytime I clicked next it took 5 to 10 seconds for it to load. Trying to triage passages wasnt easy and whatever time it took to load was chopped off my time remaining. I was pretty mad. I mean, I dont see how its fair that I should have 3 to 5 minutes taken off each section!! Who can I complain to so maybe next time I take it I wont have to pay? Also my friend is taking the test at the same center and I dont want him to have the same problem! What can I do???

-Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.