Have I completely ruined my chances for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musicaldee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
<deleted>

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your grades can be forgiven. That is definately a story to tell ADCOMs, and they will surely respect that reason for your performance last semester.

That being said, don't do poorly next semester.

Keep your head up (best you can, nothing is more difficult) and work hard for your goal. You'll be fine. Your other GPA and MCAT score can show the committee your not an idiot. So your chances are still very good.

A bigger question is... "Why medicine?" Especially after switching from such a long haul in Psych, why did you decide to switch. It will be more difficult to convince people that you are serious about medicine, than it will be to convince them that such a devastating loss could affect your academic drive.

I'm really sorry for your loss. Clearly, you have had a rough start but that's okay. It just means that you have used up your three strikes. You need to sort everything out and be on point for the rest of your post bacc. I wouldn't retake a C but if your advisors really push it then just do it & keep moving forward towards your goal. Instead, i would do upper division electives in chemistry (biochem is a good option). Keep your head up, stay strong & you will be fine.

As far as a joke, I suck but did you hear the one about the chicken crossing the road? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't even see the thing about a joke...

Do you want a clean joke or a dirty joke?

No, your chances aren't ruined at all. You have a good excuse, everything else looks good and assuming you do well on the MCAT you should be able to get in somewhere. I'd definitely retake Bio and Chem Lab. Chem lab doesn't involve that much outside work, and it's also important that you get all you can out of Bio for the MCAT. Getting into med school isn't some impossible task; it's hard but you're on the right track. Your boyfriend would have wanted you to keep pushing forward.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't think you've ruined your chances at all. You just have to push forward and continue to work hard. Keep your head up!

Thank you all so much for your words. I have been very worried about how my early performance will look to the ADCOMS, despite the circumstances. I know that I have ALOT of work to do to fix this disaster but I'm confident that I can do it.

Forthegood, to answer your question about "why medicine," I actually intended to be pre-med during undergrad, but at the time, I was young and unsure of whether or not I would succeed in the pursuit...but I never let the idea leave my mind. That said, I decided that I would like a career in a health field, and I chose psychology. I went straight from the BA to the MA in psych, and it wasn't until I started my internship at the hospital, where I was shadowing different types of physicians (I was assigned as a psych consult, essentially, so I was exposed to different departments) that I realized how interested I am in medicine, and that I should pursue my original goal. I mean, that's not the entire story, but I don't want to bore you with the details. I'll save it for the adcoms :) And to answer your next question...the joke can be clean or dirty, I don't judge. haha.

I'm sorry for your loss. I don't think you'll have any problems so long as you show that you're willing to work for it, and express that in your personal statement.

On another note, two muffins are sitting in the oven, baking. One turns to the other and says, "My, it's getting hot in here." The other turns to the first and says "HOLY ****, A TALKING MUFFIN!"

OP- Sounds good to me. I'd say your all set then. BTW... psych is a scary rotation...

So the clean joke is:

A biologist, a physicist, and a chemist all went to the ocean for the first time in their lives....

The biologist saw a dolphin 50 meters out, and said "incredible, if only i could get closer and look at the fin, i could distinguish the species perhaps", and proceeded to walk into the ocean. He couldn't swim, and soon drowned.

The physicist saw waves coming in, and said "incredible, if only i could get closer and measure the period of the waves, i could determine force and volume of the water", and proceeded to walk into the ocean. Like the biologist, he drowned as well.

The chemist saw these events take place and said, "Incredible! The biologist and the physicist were both soluble in ocean water!"

The dirty joke will be a PM in 5 minutes!

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Although it's spilled milk at this point, why didn't you withdraw from your courses last semester? Was it even an option? Did your professors offer any advice?

Regardless, I wouldn't retake C's either. If you look at SDN profiles, many Cs were found in the first year prereq courses. Obviously you got them in a post-bacc, but the situation was extraordinary. If med schools appreciate extenuating circumstances, this is certainly one of them.

I would tough out the program. If money or grieving time is an issue, ask your program if you can withdraw for a semester or two and spend a bit of time working or doing your ECs part time.

When the time comes to apply, know that many secondaries will ask for extra information not found in your AMCAS. If you want to devote your PS to some other topic, you can at least mention your boyfriend on those secondaries.

A letter of rec from a professor who knows about your situation or your advisor can certainly help as well.

I just don't understand why your advisors have lost faith in you. First off, I got Cs in courses for far less substantial reasons and certainly a C is a good grade considering the events.

Can you switch advisors?

Anyway, good luck! It's smart to create a support network to speed your recovery.

Last edited:
I am completely willing to re-take Biology and the chem lab (I had an 88 average in the lab reports but failed the lab final due to my study issues), and take an extra year to take classes like A and P, biochem, and whatever other courses my advisors suggest (although, my advisors have little faith in me at this point). Has anyone had a similar experience (i.e., dealt with a devastating situation, retook some classes/added additional ones, and gotten into med school)? Advice, words of wisdom, or even a funny joke would be appreciated. Thanks :)

:) You'll need to retake bio, but other than that you're good. Do you already have math and physics? O chem, b chem are either required or highly recommended. A/P, genetics, micro could be helpful.

:mad: At your advisors.

I'm still working on my bacc-- hi non trad-- but those other two qualifiers I've got. It's not at all fun, to say the least.

I would definitely get an LOR from someone who knows the situation when the time comes-- musicaldee had a personal setback at 1st term, has done amazing, she's awesome, give her an acceptance.

The other thing is that I don't see non-medical/school ECs....

koko- great comic. no jokes, but if this kitteh can do it so can you:

funny-pictures-kitten-ties-shoes.jpg