Have I made the right decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naomimiyone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to change my major from pre-med to foreign languages (spanish but I plan on taking at least three different languages). I did this for four reasons, 1. while I like my major it was only because of the name and what it implied, 2. I dreaded the thought of taking all of those science classes that I honestly only held mediocre interest in, 3. I absolutely want to be a doctor but I want to have fun during my college years, and 4. While I love knowing more about the many processes that control our bodily responses, NOW, I just coudn't get into the reading and it made me dread and procrastinate studying or even notetaking ( at the time it seemed way too long).
But when I began stepping things up, I changed my habits to something I like (which is working) and my grades are improving from F's to B's literally. And when I look at things I like being able to just allow the thoughts of all the processes that chemicals and enzymes go through to flow from my mind about why such a thing as lactose intolerance occurs in my body ( meaning it's all making sense now and I'm loving it). And so I'm wondering if I was too hasty in my decision for fear of doing poorly and not getting into med school.
Also, I am a freshman and I just changed my major, I love art, different cultures, and foreign languages (hence my major change) I still want to be a doctor more than anything else though, so I plan to take the prerequisites and a few more science courses as electives. I've never been happy with things that take a long time (or waste my time) and this applies to my current major too. I do believe that the route I changed to allows me more fun rather than boredom, and I know that med school can be far more hard work than what I'm dealing with now, but I believe this will help and keep me from regretting my major later.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you still take all of the science pre-reqs, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Buenas Suerte!

Choose a major that interests you, med schools don't care what you do as long as you excel in what you are learning.

my school didn't have a pre-med major so I don't really know what it includes other than the pre-reqs...

major in what interests you, this will probably be the only opportunity you have to study it in depth so take advantage of that. Although I enjoyed my major (Biological Anthropology and Anatomy...which for me was a bunch of interesting Anatomy classes) and got to take a ton of cool classes I kind of wish I majored or double majored in music. As long as you take what is required for the schools you apply to you won't be at a disadvantage for admissions. Just make sure you know beforehand what some schools require ie. math courses, biochem and/or other upper level bios

Besides, fluency in multiple languages can only be a kick-ass talking point for your interviews. I can't imagine there are that many polyglot doctors out there.

my school didn't have a pre-med major so I don't really know what it includes other than the pre-reqs...

my school too. I am majoring in English. My status, I guess is what I would call it, is pre-med.

when someone replies to the question "whats your major?" with, "pre-med" I just wanna smack em.