Have I messed up my chances of becoming a veterinarian?

Kimlulz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am graduating this year and lets just say im not the top of my class. I goofed around alot. I will graduate with a 2.5 GPA. I have allways wanted to be a vet but my faith had died when I got into my who care teen years. Anyway I have recently did a senior project where i went job shadow a vet. I had attended this in 8th grade as well. I can't imagine not working with animals. My question now is Do you think it is to late?

I am willing to try my best...no beyond that 150% to my highest ability. I am starting at a community college this year to help my highschool grades. I made a 20 on my ACT by the way. So do yall think I should not waste the money and just go for vet tech?

Sorry if I make no sense. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Like med school, highschool grades do not matter when it comes to professional schools. Figure out what study and organizational habits work best for you and put your nose to the grindstone. Don't follow your old habits and you should be fine.

Never give up on your dreams. If you want it, you will get it. Make sure to focus on why you did bad on school and don't just give it all to "not trying." You might have a bit of a harder path ahead of you than someone who started on a slightly better footing, but you can make it. Good luck! and welcome to the forums.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am graduating this year and lets just say im not the top of my class. I goofed around alot. I will graduate with a 2.5 GPA. I have allways wanted to be a vet but my faith had died when I got into my who care teen years. Anyway I have recently did a senior project where i went job shadow a vet. I had attended this in 8th grade as well. I can't imagine not working with animals. My question now is Do you think it is to late?

I am willing to try my best...no beyond that 150% to my highest ability. I am starting at a community college this year to help my highschool grades. I made a 20 on my ACT by the way. So do yall think I should not waste the money and just go for vet tech?

You didn't screw up that badly, so don't worry.

Do VERY well, like as well as you can, in Community College in whatever gen-ed classes you take there. When you have a solid GPA, apply to a state school or whatever school you'd like, and transfer. When you transfer, then take your vet school pre-reqs, and finish up all of your classes.

It isn't too late, so don't get down on yourself. You can change things easily by just hitting the books hard and getting good grades from here on out :)

No.

obama_mail_500px.jpg

It makes absolutely no difference to graduate schools what you did in high school.

Obviously, with a 2.5, it is going to be tough to get into a good college, but go to community college and try to transfer to a good school. That should be your short term goal.

Think of college as a brand new start, but don't make the same mistakes you made in high school. Graduate schools only care about your college GPA, they won't ask for your high school grades. Anyone who has told you otherwise is either ignorant or lying.

So in summary, yes, you still have just as much chance as anyone else to become a vet...it just all depends on how hard you work in college.

In essence, you have the opportunity to begin a fresh new academic career once you get to college. No school cares to look at your high school record once you're doing undergrad. As long as you keep your goal in mind and not get influenced by partying and what have you, you'll do fine. You have all the potential in the world to become a vet, but don't get distracted!

As the ones before me said, high school grades only matter when applying to undergraduate institutions, not veterinary schools. Use your high school experience to learn how to do better in the future. Figure out what kind of studying works for you. I personally slacked a bit in undergraduate because I didn't study in high school very much. Make sure to always read the assigned chapters in books! I never did and looking at it after the test, I realized it would've helped. Don't be afraid to talk to your professors (I was). Most teachers genuinely want you to do well and they welcome students into their office. If you show that you really want to do good and are determined to do so, they will admire that. Having a teacher recognize your name goes a long way when your grade comes down to a borderline A/B. Just small things like keeping up with your schoolwork are also good. It's good experience for vet school when if you skip just a day of work, you fall behind very fast. Don't forget to have a social life! Everyone needs some stress relief. And also, look around for job opportunities in different areas (large, small, exotic, volunteer, research). You have a few years and might as well start sooner than later!

Good luck! PM me if you need any more pointers, I'm glad to help. :thumbup: