Have I reinvented myself? DIY Post-Bacc for GPA Repair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goingincircles

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have been on the road to reinvention for transcript repair and would like some feedback on whether the courses I have taken are sufficient to demonstrate a successful DIY post-bacc.

First, some quick uG stats for context- I graduated back in ’17 with a 3.57 cGPA and a 3.38 sGPA as a Psychology major and completed all pre-reqs.

Since 2019, I have been taking Biology courses at a local University. I have been scrolling through a few SDN posts and have read that post-bac classes must resemble a medical school curriculum and be upper-division courses (which I believe is the 3000-level). Over the semesters, the courses that I was able to take (based on college's offering and pre-reqs limitations) have been a mix of 2000/3000. The breakdown for each semester is as follows:

Fall ’19 semester
(1) A&P I + Lab (4 cr) [2000-lvl]
(2) Microbiology + Lab (4 cr) [3000-lvl]
(3) Medical Informatics (3 cr) [2000-lvl]

Spring ’20 semester
(1) A&P II + Lab (4 cr) [2000-lvl]
(2) Genetics + Lab (4 cr) [2000-lvl]
(3) Nutrition (via Bio department) (2 cr) [3000-lvl]

Fall ’20 Semester
(1) Pathophysiology (3 cr) [3000-lvl]
(2) Molecular & Cell Biology + Lab (4 cr) [3000-lvl]

Spring ’21 Semester
(1) Evolution (3 cr) [2000-lvl]
(2) Physics Principles of Medical Imaging + Lab (3 cr) [2000-lvl]

I have been working and volunteering (not anymore due to COVID) while taking these courses. My post-bacc GPA is 4.0. I am currently preparing for an April/May MCAT. Is my post-bacc sufficient based on the curriculum and course levels to show successful reinvention? Given a good MCAT score, am I on track to apply during the '21 cycle? I'd like to aim for an MD acceptance.

Lastly, if needed, I can take two additional courses during the Summer ’21 semester at a different college but I am hesitant to do that because I'd like to focus on submitting a well-polished and early application. Regardless, those two courses will be:

(1) Developmental Biology (3 cr) [3000]
(2)Disease and History (3 cr) [3000]

Will really appreciate some thoughtful input. Adcoms are especially welcome! :) @Goro @gonnif

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Looks good! Did you take any/all of these at University? Given how well you did I don't think it's a huge issue but you may want to consult individual schools. Some are big on the classes (at least the upper-levels) being taken at Uni. What GPA/sGPA did you end with after the post-bacc? And if you plan to apply 2021 you better get on that MCAT prep, you wanna take it by May to have your scores ready to apply, which means prepping Feb, March, April so you need to start like...yesterday lol. I would take Biochem or Biochem II if you already took Biochem I, and maybe something that hits on critical reading or research reading. You will likely knock Psych/Soc out of the park with your undergrad. But 70% of the MCAT is very technical reading, and lots of biochem, so personally I'd choose classes that hit on those things. Developmental Bio maybe accounts for like 3% of the test, and there's really nothing related to history.

Reactions: 1 user
@8YearsLate

Thanks so much for your reply!

Yes, the classes were taken at a local city college (not CC). Assuming I get As in the two Spring courses, I will finish with a 3.64 cGPA and 3.61 sGPA.

The two potential Summer courses are to further raise my GPA and not for MCAT-related prep. I am studying for a mid-May MCAT and those courses will not start until early June. Also, If I do take those Summer courses and make As in both then I will have a 3.66 cGPA and 3.64 sGPA. I don't know if a 0.02 jump is worth juggling secondaries and classes 4x/wk. Would you agree? I really want to have time to submit well-written essays.

I actually did take Biochem I & II in uG (albeit it was a while ago) so I have a decent background in Biochem and am hoping that during MCAT prep the content will be more of a review rather than totally unfamiliar. I have shifted my focus to MCAT prep and am hoping to do well on my first attempt because I don't even know where I would fit in a retake, if needed.

And just to go back to the original point- the entire premise for my post was to gauge whether my post-bacc courses were rigorous enough to offset my poor uG performance.

Members don't see this ad :)
@8YearsLate

Thanks so much for your reply!

Yes, the classes were taken at a local city college (not CC). Assuming I get As in the two Spring courses, I will finish with a 3.64 cGPA and 3.61 sGPA.

The two potential Summer courses are to further raise my GPA and not for MCAT-related prep. I am studying for a mid-May MCAT and those courses will not start until early June. Also, If I do take those Summer courses and make As in both then I will have a 3.66 cGPA and 3.64 sGPA. I don't know if a 0.02 jump is worth juggling secondaries and classes 4x/wk. Would you agree? I really want to have time to submit well-written essays.

I actually did take Biochem I & II in uG (albeit it was a while ago) so I have a decent background in Biochem and am hoping that during MCAT prep the content will be more of a review rather than totally unfamiliar. I have shifted my focus to MCAT prep and am hoping to do well on my first attempt because I don't even know where I would fit in a retake, if needed.

And just to go back to the original point- the entire premise for my post was to gauge whether my post-bacc courses were rigorous enough to offset my poor uG performance.
Yeah, I'm not sure if that small jump in GPA is worth it if that's your only motivation. I was super stressed during the application process but I also applied to over 30 schools. If you prewrite and feel you can handle a lot of writing you might be the type to swing it. Personally, between secondary essays, work, and the country falling to pieces around me, I'm quite surprised that I was able to muster enough optimism to sway adcoms in those essays. If I had been honest it would have probably looked something like: "What do you feel you bring to our school?" Me: The type of desperation that prohibits failure. HELP ME.

Hi all!

I have been on the road to reinvention for transcript repair and would like some feedback on whether the courses I have taken are sufficient to demonstrate a successful DIY post-bacc.

First, some quick uG stats for context- I graduated back in ’17 with a 3.57 cGPA and a 3.38 sGPA as a Psychology major and completed all pre-reqs.

Since 2019, I have been taking Biology courses at a local University. I have been scrolling through a few SDN posts and have read that post-bac classes must resemble a medical school curriculum and be upper-division courses (which I believe is the 3000-level). Over the semesters, the courses that I was able to take (based on college's offering and pre-reqs limitations) have been a mix of 2000/3000. The breakdown for each semester is as follows:

Fall ’19 semester
(1) A&P I + Lab (4 cr) [2000-lvl]
(2) Microbiology + Lab (4 cr) [3000-lvl]
(3) Medical Informatics (3 cr) [2000-lvl]

Spring ’20 semester
(1) A&P II + Lab (4 cr) [2000-lvl]
(2) Genetics + Lab (4 cr) [2000-lvl]
(3) Nutrition (via Bio department) (2 cr) [3000-lvl]

Fall ’20 Semester
(1) Pathophysiology (3 cr) [3000-lvl]
(2) Molecular & Cell Biology + Lab (4 cr) [3000-lvl]

Spring ’21 Semester
(1) Evolution (3 cr) [2000-lvl]
(2) Physics Principles of Medical Imaging + Lab (3 cr) [2000-lvl]

I have been working and volunteering (not anymore due to COVID) while taking these courses. My post-bacc GPA is 4.0. I am currently preparing for an April/May MCAT. Is my post-bacc sufficient based on the curriculum and course levels to show successful reinvention? Given a good MCAT score, am I on track to apply during the '21 cycle? I'd like to aim for an MD acceptance.

Lastly, if needed, I can take two additional courses during the Summer ’21 semester at a different college but I am hesitant to do that because I'd like to focus on submitting a well-polished and early application. Regardless, those two courses will be:

(1) Developmental Biology (3 cr) [3000]
(2)Disease and History (3 cr) [3000]

Will really appreciate some thoughtful input. Adcoms are especially welcome! :) @Goro @gonnif
I'd say you've done the job!