Have MCAT scores, where to apply??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghgi8

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Race: Caucasian

Residency: FL

College: University of Florida

Major: Biology

GPA - Cumulative: 3.86
BCPM: 3.80
Nonscience: 3.95

MCAT: 28Q (11BS, 9PS, 8VR)

Extracurriculars: Gene Therapy Research, Prebiotic RNA World Hypothesis Research, President of Honors Tutoring Frat, volunteered at hospitals, shadowed 2 doctors, intramural sports, volunteered at animal hospital, worked as a lifeguard for the past 4 summers, bright futures scholarship, presidents honor roll for 4 semesters.

LOR's: Expected to be good.

Let me know if I left anything out. Please don't hesitate to critique my credentials and offer any helpful advice (ie. retaking the mcat in august). I'll definitely be applying to the Florida schools. What else do you all recommend? Thank you very much in advance for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, try to bump the MCAT up to a 30 this August while the material is still fresh on your mind. Better now than next April. That way you can still apply this cycle and *definitely* get in somewhere. I think the average for Miami is 30 or 31, so it might be good to try to raise the MCAT.

I want your GPA though.

Do you have a particular program in mind? If you are only trying to 'get in' your stats are pretty decent, especially applying early. If you want more places for extra assurance, I would apply to the private schools (south and east coast). Your extracurriculars look good and your GPA is strong, best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a very good shot at the Florida schools, especially UF where they don't care as much about a 30+ MCAT score as USF and Miami do. Your GPA puts you in a great position for any of the programs, and your ECs are good as well. Submit your AMCAS by the end of the month and you'll be good to go :thumbup:

I seriously do not think that you need to retake the exam in August, unless you want to go to a top ten school.

you might might want to seriously consider retaking the mcat.
a totally huge pain, but unfortunately many many applicants score above a 28. (maybe the admission committees may overlook this?)
if you decide not to retake it, can you briefly and adequately explain if the mcat score was a fluke? was it taken on a bad day?
also: remember to consider how the august MCAT may negatively affect the TIMING and consideration of your application if you are applying this 2004 cycle (do a search on this topic in SDN for the pros and cons as well as talk to your premed advisor). even if you take it in august, you might want to wait a year to be in sync with the new cycle. one point of view is that you want to have everything in place at a certain time to put you on the best possible footing for that year.

your gpa and extracurrics seem great (nice job!!!),
to this end, in your self-reflection... ask yourself, "did I do all these great things because I enjoyed something special within them, or was it just to pad my credentials?"
if there was something that you really had passion for, WRITE ABOUT IT, make it known to the adcom in a sophisticated way throughout your AMCAS application/essay! The committees love passion, drive, maturity, intellect, sensitivity, unique achievement, committment. show these things throughout your application and you'll be off to a real good start with them.

don't forget as well: when all is said and done, you must answer the 3 parts to this question: WHY do I want to be a DOCTOR?
1) WHY= Why pick me?
2) I = Tell them about yourself as a person.
3) DOCTOR= Why specifically a doctor vs. a PA or social worker or public health or paramedic or something equally honorable?

hope this provides something to think about.

best of luck.

Honestly, try to bump the MCAT up to a 30 this August while the material is still fresh on your mind. Better now than next April. That way you can still apply this cycle and *definitely* get in somewhere. I think the average for Miami is 30 or 31, so it might be good to try to raise the MCAT.

Here's the thing. I didnt really study for the MCAT so I know that if I did studied I would be able to do a bit better. However, the material is not still fresh in my head for this same reason and I am also taking a semi-heavy course load this summer; which makes retaking somewhat doubtful. My prediction is that if I do study hard I will achieve around a 30. However, at the same time my application will be delayed and I will forfeit my early application advantage. My major goal is to get into any florida school but I know that I am not guaranteed this with my MCAT score. Another option would be to only apply to the Florida schools because these are my best chances of acceptance (I would be saving a lotta money). What do you all think of this? Do you all have any more specific suggestions on private schools (or publics that accept out-of-staters) that I can apply to. Thanks again.

take it from me man, go with the 28 and apply right now, dont waste any time! theres no difference really between a 28, 29 or 30. If you feel you can get a 32 or above, go for it, but still apply now with what you have

As a resident of Florida who has been at this medical school admissions game for some time, I know a thing or two about what our state schools look for. You can retake in August if you want to, but I strongly feel that a 28 is good enough to get in with your strong GPA. Seriously.

Best thing would be to call Robyn Sheppard at UF and Mr. Robert Larkin at USF and speak to them about it.

Great advice, thanks guys!

reading others' posts:

if you do the necessary inquiries and learn that 28,29,30 is looked upon as pretty much the same thing in the schools you're interested in, then as others have recommended, go for it this year!

Columbia22 said:
take it from me man, go with the 28 and apply right now, dont waste any time! theres no difference really between a 28, 29 or 30. If you feel you can get a 32 or above, go for it, but still apply now with what you have

Same advice here!!!!

OK here is a prelim list of out-of-state schools I have in mind...

Creighton
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
Jefferson
George Washington
NYMC
Tufts
Pritzker
Wake Forest
University of Vermont
Brown University

ghgi8 said:
OK here is a prelim list of out-of-state schools I have in mind...

Creighton
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
Jefferson
George Washington
NYMC
Tufts
Pritzker
Wake Forest
University of Vermont
Brown University

I don't think you can apply to Brown, so cross that off of your list. If you read the MSAR, they may tell you more about that. Unless... has something changed with them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll also speak as a FL resident and applicant from last year. Your score is SOLID, do NOT retake in August. You have a very solid chance of getting in at the FL schools, but just apply early (submit now, and get the secondaries out of the door quickly) and you should have some interviews by late fall.

Your section break downs are not skewed, which is good, and even with your lowest (8 in VR) the score is solid, really.

I agree with what Fusion said, call both Robyn Sheppard at UF and Dr. Robert Larkin at USF - they will help you and answer questions you may still have.

Cheers dude! Just apply ASAP and don't delay with secondaries or LORs and you should be fine. Best of luck in the roller coaster of admissions!

this is great news guys, have any of you had any success with the out-of-state schools listed above?

I'd apply to a broad number of schools including your state school. I wouldn't retake with your stats.

With retaking, you risk:

1) scoring lower (proof that you can't take the test)

or

2) scoring about the same (suggests that you can't take the test)

Both are very bad. Your stats are good enough to get in. Some will give you the benefit of the doubt. ;)

Columbia22 said:

Ditto

brother, don't sweat it. You're fine. A 28 is not a deal breaker. It's not going to open doors, but it won't close them for you either.

Good luck and apply. Don't retake on a 28.

My only reservation concerns the money I suppose (as it does for many of us). I don't exactly have massive amounts of money to throw around and I want to be sure that betting on my credentials is not a poor investment. Do you all think that the northeastern private schools listed above will give me as much consideration as the FL schools? Just how many schools would be optimal? Which schools would consider me that do not have astronomically priced secondaries? Does anyone have any personal/friends' success stories that will help motivate me to undertake this expensive ordeal?

Why did you take the MCAT w/o prepping properly for it? I really do not understand that line of thinking.

Mainly personal reasons. In retrospect, sure I wish I had prepared adequately; but this is the score that I am stuck with. I don't want to mull over my past mistakes.

If you can afford it then apply and see what happens. It seems that your summer is full and studying for it will not be the most productive. I would apply this year to as many schools as possible see what happens you never know.

I was in your position last year. My score was a little better but not much. As a Florida resident, I worried about all those things. I applied to all of the Flroida schools, and got in, but also took a shot in the dark with a Northern private. The shot in the dark hit and I came north. My thinking was that in the future, if it was not a benefit, oh well, but if I went to a Florida school, I would wonder what if, so here I am. Looking back, to this point I do not think it makes a hill of beans difference, except for the name on the sheepskin. Do what you want. My main reason for not attending UF (I graduated undergrad there) was the way in which they handled the process. They seemed at the time to put students they thought were shooins to come there (due to being UF graduates) on the wait list and go after the students from Harvard etc. When those people started dropping out, then they accepted the others. It was not just me, but about 7 of my friends too, and it was plain to see from their acceptance board. Just left me with a sour taste in my mouth.
On the other hand, Miami and USF impressed the heck out of me....although the USF interview day was too long and drawn out.

All in all, you have to go with your gut. Do the standard...four back ups, four that you think you really have a shot, and a couple of shots in the dark that you would really llike to attend, but may be on the cusp as far as stats on paper. The school that I came to was in competition with Miami and that was it, after 6 interviews. Nothing against the other schools, but they did not feel like a fit.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me...will be as helpful as I can

I think I would add Emory to your list. I know that they give some preferences to people from the southeastern states such as FL. With your stats and great activities, I think that you would have a shot. Good luck with the application process!

This is from Mr. Larkin at USF. I also emailed UF, UM, FSU, and NYMC.

Thank you for your inquiry. You have done well and appear to have
attended to all the factors for getting into medical school.
Presumably your academic loads have been good and you have had some
challenging semesters represented by your GPA's. Your MCAT score is
strong and well within the reach of the matriculating class average of
29.5 and your GPA is above the matriculating class averages.
Translation - you are competitive for an interview this year. I tend
to agree that retaking the MCAT might not be beneficial to you this
year. If for some reason you dont get into med school this year, that
would be an area to strengthen for a second run. I hope this helps.

REL Larkin

General consensus from other deans of admissions are that I should go ahead and apply with my 28 and high GPA. Does anyone know if med schools require you to update your grades as they come during the application process or is this just an optional practice done to show that you are doing well? For example, if I interview at a school in October and get waitlisted, is there a procedure that requires me to submit my fall grades in to them?