Have not heard from PD? I just sent an email.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pegasus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of my friends have been contacted by their new PD..but not me?? Was wondering if it was up to me to call/email, so I just sent an email. It kinda freaks me out a bit that they did not call???

Pegasus

Members don't see this ad.

Yah, it kinda worries me a bit, too. I haven't gotten a call or email. I guess they are sending everything via snail mail?? But still, it would be nice to have gotten a phone call (like "congrats! we're so happy/looking forward to having you with us...and so forth) from a place I will be spending the next three years at! :p Is that asking too much? :)

I guess if I don't hear from them by Monday afternoon, I will give them a call. I need to know the start dates because I am planning to go to Italy early June.

Yeah, i havent gotten my e-mail either & I think its cause they're shocked to have me / I actually came, cause my #1 program was such a long shot, I think. I feel like I got away with something. Can they take this away from me???

Don't be surprised if it takes weeks to hear from the PD. They assume that once you've matched, everyone can relax for awhile. Don't worry, you'll be getting your phone calls and mail about contracts and whatnot, probably from the program secretary/coordinator not the PD.

look out for the old-fashioned mail....

Originally posted by beyond all hope
Don't be surprised if it takes weeks to hear from the PD. They assume that once you've matched, everyone can relax for awhile. Don't worry, you'll be getting your phone calls and mail about contracts and whatnot, probably from the program secretary/coordinator not the PD.

If you don't hear anything within the next couple of days, I'd still probably e-mail within the next week just to be sure. My program wanted us to pick electives and vacation time on their website, and it was on a first come/first serve basis. The orders for white coats and scrubs are due on April 1st for my program too. I would hate to think that an e-mail got lost and someone would miss those deadlines.

If you are leaving the country I would definitely contact the program as there may be some paperwork that needs to be filled out in the next few weeks for employment, etc.

On a related note I think it's sad that some programs don't bother to contact their new interns on Match Day or at least the day after. Anything from a call from a resident to a chief or the PD is great. One of my friends got a care package from her Peds program including some snacks, ID holder/lanyard, maps of the city to which she is moving, etc. What a nice idea!

I got an email from the program coordinator entitled "Woooo Hooo!!" which was cool.

But a caveat is that they probably shouldn't call on the night of Match Day, where I unwisely answered my cell phone drunk as a skunk to meet my new chief resident. At least it wasn't the PD.

MadC

take it from someone who has been through all of this twice now. (matched in 2002 and switched specialities...went back through the match this year) they normally don't call post match and most programs don't email either. The first time I heard from my program in 2002 was when they sent the paperwork and contract 1 month later all via snail mail. This year however, my new RC sent an email and told us that we will get everything by email (except for the most important thing--the contract.) Remember, bottom line--THIS IS A JOB...so they are not always as "warm and fuzzy" as they appear during the interview process. But by all means..go to Italy...it's a great country...eat drink and be merry...intern year is rough and you'll need the memories next year...hahahaha. Good luck

Madcadaver; I got called Friday afternoon by the PD of my prelim medicine program offering congratulations. I was on an outdoor patio in Austin, Tx, listening to a live band and working on beer #5. Definitely not the best idea to have answered my cell at that time! :laugh:

I emailed my PD and she emailed back today...I felt so much better after it and we are going to meet this weekend when Im heading to Chicago...whooo hooo

Pegasus

Don't worry - some programs call or write and some don't. Its no reflection on their "feelings" for you but rather they are simply getting on with the business of getting work done.

They WILL send you a packet - you'll get stuff about when and where to show up, stuff from the GME office, housing office etc. If you matched at Hershey you'll even get some candy in the mail! :D