Have only heard back from 6 out of 22 schools. Normal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Camerla

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent in most of my secondaries by the end of July, and as of right now I have heard:

2 rejections
2 holds
2 II

I am absolutely *not* complaining. I'm simply curious because I thought that I would have heard something from most schools by now. Even many schools that give "hold" statuses haven't updated my status in 2-3 months.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat. 4 rejctions, 1 hold, 2 II, silence from 20 others.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've got silence from 23 schools and have gotten some IIs last week as well as today.

@Boolean I would assume silent rejection from many if I hadn't seen so many people put on hold/outright rejected.

I've got silence from 23 schools and have gotten some IIs last week as well as today.

II on a Sunday! Good for you :)

I would assume silent rejection from many if I hadn't seen so many people put on hold/outright rejected.
Same here. I'm guessing that our apps were initially reviewed and put in the "maybe" pile for now. With a high gpa/low mcat combo myself, I feel like that's fair and to be expected. Hopefully we'll hear more good news as the cycle continues! :)

Reactions: 4 users
@Boolean I would assume silent rejection from many if I hadn't seen so many people put on hold/outright rejected.

II on a Sunday! Good for you :)
Hmm. Maybe something was incomplete with your app at those schools? Have you phoned to verify everything is in correctly?

Same here. I'm guessing that our apps were initially reviewed and put in the "maybe" pile for now. With a high gpa/low mcat combo myself, I feel like that's fair and to be expected. Hopefully we'll hear more good news as the cycle continues! :)
Zelda I am in the exact same boat! I've been trying to convince myself that a lot of schools put me in between the II and hold categories. Helps me to sleep at night :rolleyes:

Hmm. Maybe something was incomplete with your app at those schools? Have you phoned to verify everything is in correctly?
I have received complete emails from most schools, but maybe its worth investigating for the others. Thanks!

Reactions: 2 users
Relax, its perfectly normal... applied to 22 i ve heard 3 II but silence on all others...

same! applied to 15, portal rejection from 1, email rejection from 1, 2 acceptances, 6 interviews total, nada from others.

same! applied to 15, portal rejection from 1, email rejection from 1, 2 acceptances, 6 interviews total, nada from others.

2 acceptances! And you've heard from 8/15? Sorry, but that's not a fair comparison. You already know you get to be a doctor. Congrats, though.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in almost the exact same situation as you, OP. 27 schools, 2 IIs, 2 holds, 1 rejection, and silence from the rest. Here's hoping we'll get some more good news in the coming weeks!

Members don't see this ad :)
is everyone's 1 rejection from ATSU-KCOM?

Same boat. It's so annoying! 4 IIs, 1 rejection, 0 acceptances, 0 WL, 20 silences.

Ha, I've only heard from two schools out of about the same number...I'd say six is pretty good!

Zelda I am in the exact same boat! I've been trying to convince myself that a lot of schools put me in between the II and hold categories. Helps me to sleep at night :rolleyes:

A very realistic assessment. Too good to reject outright; not impressive enough to 'get off the fence' so far.

If you need to do something, then plan your 'update campaign'. Plan on sending each 'silent' school two updates timed strategically to get you that interview. What newsworthy events can you come up with? What salient points will convince the decision-maker that this school is the one you really, really care about and not just some random school you sent an application to?

Reactions: 2 users
Is two updates too many?

@Goro @gyngyn . I'm trying to use the bat-signal wisely here as this will probably pop up. I was under the impression that schools should be sent just one update in the fall. I have enough to send one now, but was hoping to add more things to it so was going to wait. If it's fine to send multiples, I'd consider sending one now and another in 1-2 months time depending on what's going on.

Guessing others might be in a similar boat.

Thanks so much!

Quality is better than quantity.

Is two updates too many?

@Goro @gyngyn . I'm trying to use the bat-signal wisely here as this will probably pop up. I was under the impression that schools should be sent just one update in the fall. I have enough to send one now, but was hoping to add more things to it so was going to wait. If it's fine to send multiples, I'd consider sending one now and another in 1-2 months time depending on what's going on.

Thanks so much!

Reactions: 3 users
Is two updates too many?

Thanks so much!
If a particular school is open to updates (and many are not), a single substantive missive would be well timed in early November.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks, all! I'm thinking of sending some (receptive) schools updates in November, as I've begun a new volunteer experience. I really appreciate all of the input!

What is considered substantive and worthy of an update? Transcripts? Poster presentation? New job? What else? I don't want to be annoying, but also want to be sure I've provided updates that are worthy of attention. Are schools that accept updates, expecting an update?

What is considered substantive and worthy of an update? Transcripts? Poster presentation? New job? What else? I don't want to be annoying, but also want to be sure I've provided updates that are worthy of attention. Are schools that accept updates, expecting an update?
Maybe an admissions officer at one of these schools could be invited to explain their expectations.
None of the admissions folks I know want them. This could be regional...

Reactions: 1 users
A transcript showing your latest round of excellence might be a good thing; I can't see an Admissions dean jumping up out of his/her seat and screaming "We HAVE to invite this kid!!" just because you're presented a poster. A Nature publication might get some interest, though.

And a new job? What does that prove?

Really, think this through and try not to be superficial.

Hahaha at least you're not sitting on 6 rejections and 3 holds :thumbup:

:sorry::bag:

A transcript showing your latest round of excellence might be a good thing; I can't see an Admissions dean jumping up out of his/her seat and screaming "We HAVE to invite this kid!!" just because you're presented a poster. A Nature publication might get some interest, though.

And a new job? What does that prove?

Really, think this through and try not to be superficial.

I mentioned above that I started a new volunteer experience (Planned Parenthood). Before this, I had spent all of my time working (research), and so I assumed they may have some interest to see that I'm volunteering again. Note: This is for a school down the block from said Planned Parenthood, and they are open to update letters.

Also, what kind of students do make ADCOMs jump out of their seats?
Maybe an admissions officer at one of these schools could be invited to explain their expectations.
None of the admissions folks I know want them. This could be regional...

Do @LizzyM @Catalystik or @Winged Scapula represent any of the schools open to update letters?

I'd be more interested in what you've done, not what're going to do. Words are easy, doing is hard.
Publications, a semester of high grades, and some honors (like a scholarship) get attention. One more LOR is snooze time.

I mentioned above that I started a new volunteer experience (Planned Parenthood). Before this, I had spent all of my time working (research), and so I assumed they may have some interest to see that I'm volunteering again. Note: This is for a school down the block from said Planned Parenthood, and they are open to update letters.

Do @LizzyM @Catalystik or @Winged Scapula represent any of the schools open to update letters?

I really don't know what happens to update letters that arrive other than having them uploaded to the application. If the application has been reviewed already, it will not be reviewed again. I'm not sure that someone not recommended for interview would be interviewed based on an update letter. We have 5000+ applications and at least 4000+ are not recommended for interview. We really don't have time to re-review those 4000 applicants when one or more update letters come in.

I really don't know what happens to update letters that arrive other than having them uploaded to the application. If the application has been reviewed already, it will not be reviewed again. I'm not sure that someone not recommended for interview would be interviewed based on an update letter. We have 5000+ applications and at least 4000+ are not recommended for interview. We really don't have time to re-review those 4000 applicants when one or more update letters come in.

If someone is on the 'hold' or 'maybe' pile, then it could potentially swing things given that these apps are often looked at again with new batches, right? Or is this incorrect information.

If someone is on the 'hold' or 'maybe' pile, then it could potentially swing things given that these apps are often looked at again with new batches, right? Or is this incorrect information.

I have no first hand knowledge of what happens once a reviewed application gets passed to the person who makes the decisions to send an interview invite.

My strong recommendation is to hold off applying until your application is as strong as it can be. Don't be a "box checker" but don't apply with the hope than an update letter will fill in the gaps in the initial application.

I have no first hand knowledge of what happens once a reviewed application gets passed to the person who makes the decisions to send an interview invite.

My strong recommendation is to hold off applying until your application is as strong as it can be. Don't be a "box checker" but don't apply with the hope than an update letter will fill in the gaps in the initial application.

Ah, good advice, but not really the case for me. I've had a few publications I talked about submitting in my initial application and one got accepted and I gave a talk. Have a few other things close to submission that I want to submit and put in an update letter as well. Have a few exciting new studies that we're starting at work as well!

I've had a few publications I talked about submitting in my initial application and one got accepted and I gave a talk. Have a few other things close to submission that I want to submit and put in an update letter as well. Have a few exciting new studies that we're starting at work as well!
Listen to @Goro's words. The accepted manuscript and the talk already given are worth including. A manuscript close to submission or just-started new studies won't have an impact on decision-making.
I'd be more interested in what you've done, not what're going to do.