Have there been changes in Federal Funding for Australia 2019?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allosteopath

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not certain that FAFSA eligibility has changed, I am wondering if it has shown differences from previous years. While looking through eligibility requirements I had found the following:

University of Sydney:
Students commencing in the Doctor of Medicine after March 1, 2019 will not be able to receive U.S. Federal Student Aid and will need to seek funding through personal means or Sallie Mae. If you would like further information, please contact the International Loans Team at [email protected] (By mentioning the date this seems like a new requirement)

University of Western Australia
Ineligible programs are Master of Nursing, Medicine (Doctor of Medicine) and any Graduate Diploma or Graduate Certificate offered by UWA.

University of Melbourne
Please note, you are not eligible to receive any (further) Direct Loans, if:
  • you wish to undertake the Doctor of Medicine and all Nursing programs
Griffith
Private loans only.

James Cook
Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery is ineligible for US Federal loans.

Macquarie University
not be enrolled in the MBBS or BMed/MD programs (ie. not eligible)

Monash
no mention of medicine program as being disqualifying as far as I could see.

Queensland
Nursing programs ineligible.
  • To comply with US Department of Education Regulations, MD applicants who are US citizens, permanent residents, or nationals must submit MCAT results with their UQ application (maybe this suggests Queensland might be eligible, but still questionable.

I feel as if this is strange because I thought most people were able to attend these in the past with federal funding, but now you are limited to private loans (and probably a co-signer). I could be wrong, but I would love if someone could validate my suspicions of a change.

If I am wrong, please enjoy this compiled list of eligibility for US Federal Funding.

Members don't see this ad.