1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

have to make payments on grad plus during dschool?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by Stephie3, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Stephie3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i was wondering if you have to start making payments back on your GRAD plus loans while you are in dental school.

i am wondering this because for undergraduate plus loans, one time i took out one and you had to start making monthly payments for it like a few months down the road.

this worries me if you do have to start making payments on your loans WHILE you're in dental school, b/c that kind of defeats the purpose of a loan anyway, unless you like needed an emergency one. plus, i don't plan on working my first two years in dschool (which i think is completely reasonable..righttt :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Katalyst

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I take about 18,000 in just GRADplus loans per year and do not need to make payments. However, if that were the case, just take out more money to pay the loan payments with :). Usually the amount of the loan is determined by the school.

4. loved

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You do not make payments while you are in school.

5. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    http://studentaid.ed.gov/students/attachments/funding/PlusLoansQA.pdf

(page 2, questions 18 & 19)

"When do I have to begin repaying a Direct PLUS Loan?

The first payment on a Direct PLUS Loan is due within 60 days after the loan is fully disbursed. There is no grace period for Direct PLUS Loans. However, you can postpone payments on your Direct PLUS Loan while you are in school."

"Can I postpone payments while I am in school?

Yes. While you are enrolled in school on at least a half-time basis, you are
    eligible for an in-school deferment that allows you to postpone payments onyour Direct PLUS Loan until you graduate or drop below half-time status."