have to scramble for prelim year please advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

X.O.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I just found out I match into rads but missed getting a prelim year. I thought the NRMP was supposed to show you the city where you match for an advanced position but I dont see that in my account. I guess that's around tomorrow at noon?

Im just wondering what I need to do to prepare for tomorrow's scramble.

Members don't see this ad.

Call (202) 828-0566 or 1-866-617-5838

Call NRMP to find out the city. Call your deans office/ school admin if they havent contacted you yet. They should help you figure out the rest.

All the best.

I assume this only works for advanced positions with a prelim associated?

IE: Categorical medicine/surgery/etc you can't find out the city?

No, this is a service designed to allow you to find a prelim spot close to or in the city where you matched. It isn't a service to cheat the system and find out where you're going.

Thanks made the call and figured out where Im going to be for rads! I'm still kind of stunned after ranking 8 TY/prelims.

Ugh Im not looking forward tomorrow. The scramble sounds god awful with the way my dean described it. Its like people running into Walmart grabbing whatever they can on Black Friday. And Im going to run into other people that didnt match which also sucks.

Well I just found out I match into rads but missed getting a prelim year. I thought the NRMP was supposed to show you the city where you match for an advanced position but I dont see that in my account. I guess that's around tomorrow at noon?

Im just wondering what I need to do to prepare for tomorrow's scramble.
X.O., this was the scenario I was worried about for my neurology match. Scrambling for a prelim sucks, but I'm sure you'll find something somewhere - good luck! And remember that you just pulled off what many people wish they could - matching into a competitive field like radiology! Congratulations!

Yeah, prelim ain't so bad. That's the least stressful way to scramble. Worse comes to worse, you can get one of the ~460 open prelim surgery spots, as much as that would suck.

I'm in the same situation. Matched into an advanced spot, didn't match prelim. Phoned the NRMP and found out what state I matched into -- which tells me what program I got into.

Would it be wise to contact my advanced program and tell them the situation I am in in the hopes of them providing me some assistance?

Just take a gen surg spot in a location you wouldn't mind too much, you can do anything for a year.

I'm in the same situation. Matched into an advanced spot, didn't match prelim. Phoned the NRMP and found out what state I matched into -- which tells me what program I got into.

Would it be wise to contact my advanced program and tell them the situation I am in in the hopes of them providing me some assistance?

Yes, you can do that from what I understand.

I am in the same position. Matched advanced, now I need to find a prelim spot...

Is this thing about calling the NRMP legit?
I never heard about this and their website doesn't even say anything about it.

You call them and they tell you which city/area you matched?

I am in the same position. Matched advanced, now I need to find a prelim spot...

Is this thing about calling the NRMP legit?
I never heard about this and their website doesn't even say anything about it.

You call them and they tell you which city/area you matched?

Yes, it's legit.

Wish I had known that an hour ago...NRMP is already closed for the day.

yeah you can call to found out both the city and state of where you matched. That was the only upside of today's crappy events.

Ive been reading up on the scramble including the sticky and trying to prepare for tomorrow. I have a few questions:

1. Can i start contacting/emailing programs right now or is that a violation?. Ive been putting out feelers at my home med program but havent contacted the surgery department yet. id really like to just PDF all my stuff with an email plea so I all that is ready and waiting for the PC tomorrow morning right before calling at noon. Just looking at last year's unfilled list, I can pretty much come up with a hit list.

2. What's the biggest bang for the buck for the first 5/20/30/1hr when the scramble opens? I was thinking of hitting ERAS first or should I be calling my top pick right away. Im pretty much on my own tomorrow from the way my school described it and dont want to squander the first crucial moments.

3. Am i going to be pressured to sign a contract? I have a particular program in mind that historically has not filled and is close to my parent's place. Id really like to keep my options open until I hear from them.

Thanks for any info.

yeah you can call to found out both the city and state of where you matched. That was the only upside of today's crappy events.

Ive been reading up on the scramble including the sticky and trying to prepare for tomorrow. I have a few questions:

1. Can i start contacting/emailing programs right now or is that a violation?. Ive been putting out feelers at my home med program but havent contacted the surgery department yet. id really like to just PDF all my stuff with an email plea so I all that is ready and waiting for the PC tomorrow morning right before calling at noon. Just looking at last year's unfilled list, I can pretty much come up with a hit list.

2. What's the biggest bang for the buck for the first 5/20/30/1hr when the scramble opens? I was thinking of hitting ERAS first or should I be calling my top pick right away. Im pretty much on my own tomorrow from the way my school described it and dont want to squander the first crucial moments.

3. Am i going to be pressured to sign a contract? I have a particular program in mind that historically has not filled and is close to my parent's place. Id really like to keep my options open until I hear from them.

Thanks for any info.

1. Violation.
2. ERAS (but remember limits)
3. Call that program first, after/during ERAS submissions.

1. Violation.
2. ERAS (but remember limits)
3. Call that program first, after/during ERAS submissions.

Thanks.

Another quick question. My school told me to prepare docs including a USLME transcript. I have the PDF score reports from Step 2 and CS but no longer have it for Step 1. Where am I supposed to get this before noon tomorrow.

Jeez this process sucks.