Have to use of institutional email for internship apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroWise

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like many, I'm sure, I pipe my grad school institution email into my gmail account so I don't have to check two accounts. But gmail often doesn't "check" the other account for a while so I receive some emails up to hour later than they were sent. As I am applying to internship this cycle and replying to interview offers quickly is important to securing a preferred date, would it be appropriate to use my personal gmail account as my contact for this process? (And yes, it's an appropriate handle.)

Members don't see this ad.

as long as is an appropriate handle, then yes, gmail is fine. But you can prob also set up your institutational email to forward to your phone just like your gmail does and then set alerts when you get a new email. I don't recommend that though because then you get jumpy a gazillion times a day when you get email notifications on your phone. Or maybe that's just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
One hour or less isn't that much of a delay; if it was several hours or a day late that'd be more of an issue. I recall not being able to respond immediately for some of them anyway due to work/class/etc., but if so inclined, gmail is fine.

One hour or less isn't that much of a delay; if it was several hours or a day late that'd be more of an issue. I recall not being able to respond immediately for some of them anyway due to work/class/etc., but if so inclined, gmail is fine.
I've definitely seen sites fill up their interview days within an hour leading to scheduling difficulties if sites overlap on days. This is probably because of the conscientiousness (thats the nice way of saying obsessive-compulsive style) of grad students.

If I could avoid an hour delay by having it go to my gmail, I would.

Reactions: 1 user
I've definitely seen sites fill up their interview days within an hour leading to scheduling difficulties if sites overlap on days. This is probably because of the conscientiousness (thats the nice way of saying obsessive-compulsive style) of grad students.

If I could avoid an hour delay by having it go to my gmail, I would.

Yes, this. Happened to me multiple times. Many retroactive thanks to the kind professors who let me use their laptops at a conference to email sites back instead of my cell phone.

If you don't already have a good Gmail/etc email name, now is as good a time as any to lock one down.

Oh yeah, at my old site, we offered up some early interviews in December. After invites went out, they were taken within 30 minutes, every year. It matters at some sites, not so much at others. It's good to get that in as soon as you can, better chance of getting preferable dates and maybe stacking up regions for efficiency.

Ditto. I responded sometimes in <30 mins, especially to my top sites, and definitely front-ended interviews (my earliest was 12/4). Most of my heavy hitters had interviews in January, and I wanted to make sure I had dates available for them.