Have you dealt with a real life Dr. Cox?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMH2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok people, I like scrubs and I was wondering if any of you have or are dealing with a real life Dr. Cox. If so, please share a story. Share many....I wanna hear them all!! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Ok people, I like scrubs and I was wondering if any of you have or are dealing with a real life Dr. Cox. If so, please share a story. Share many....I wanna hear them all!! ;)

Well, I don't watch scrubs (don't really have time for TV since I'm in the hospital all of the time) but heres some info for you...

Lee A. Burnett: Bit-o-trivia -- when they were writing the pilot for Scrubs, the writers posted on SDN looking for funny stories. There's the belief that "Dr. Cox" is named after a moderator at the time, "Dr. Kimberli Cox"

Last edited:

Nah -- that's actually one of my pet peeves with the show (along with the notion that the janitor could F&^% with the residents so regularly and still have a job). Dr Cox alternates from being a nasty obnoxious SOB to being quite sensitive to his residents' needs. Most often you will find attendings more firmly entrenched in one camp of the other, not folks who dabble in both so schizophrenically. You will have attendings who are verbally abusive and short tempered. You will have attendings who coddle. You rarely find both in the same person, as they try to portray on that show.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok ok, good to know. For future reference, if you have a story...please share...if not...maintain silence.

The reason I say this is because I've seen on THIS site where people get into arguments about shows and the arguments have nothing to do with the original question. I can easily see this happening here. In fact, I've noticed that conserning many subjects on this site.

Thank you

Dr Cox alternates from being a nasty obnoxious SOB to being quite sensitive to his residents' needs. Most often you will find attendings more firmly entrenched in one camp of the other, not folks who dabble in both so schizophrenically. You will have attendings who are verbally abusive and short tempered. You will have attendings who coddle. You rarely find both in the same person, as they try to portray on that show.

Ahem...it may be because I am a bit "mercurial" or schizophrenic if you will.;)

Maybe we're really nice guys but sometimes the stress gets to us and we become obnoxious and sarcastic.

We have a surgeon like that. Complete prick on the ward. Chews out everybody for their mistakes, runs people off the ward for missing pimp questions or wearing scrubs on his round, in third year he told me I was too stupid to exist then proceeded to ignore me for the rest of the rotation. Off the ward he's actually nice. Always smiling and chatting people up, buying us lunch, sneaking us into conferences and getting us swag. I don't know what's his deal, maybe he thinks we learn better if he treats us like crap or he can't control his temper then goes overboard after to make up. It takes some getting used to but if you have a thick skin you can learn to put up with it. A lot of people hate his guts though.

The closest to a Dr. Cox I ran into on rotations was this crotchety old general surgeon who worked at the VA. He would yell at you, but you could only help but laugh at the things he said. I was scrubbed in on 3 or 4 surgeries with him and got comments like (which he never just says):

*grabs retractor* "Hold it like a man!" (I'm a woman)
or
"Retract like you mean it!"

-him: "What is the name of this nerve?"
-me: "Is it the..."
-him: "Don't ask me! I'm asking the questions!"

There were more but it's been a long time. He's intimidating but amusing.

I have and actually she was a lot nicer than the show made her out to be. In fact, she was great.

Maybe they just caught her on a bad day....:laugh:

I myself have been compared to cox on more than one occasion. I have my moods. I sit and look at the endless crap that comes up on my board and I can't help but be frustrated but when people are there for the rare legitimate emergency or if its actually reasonable respectable people, I'm quite nice. To the person who is there requesting dilaudid and is on their third visit today, I'm less than cordial.
I'm very nice to students/residents I've dealt with unless they commit one of the cardinal sins: lying, gross incompetence, laziness, and disrespect of superiors. Once they have crossed one of those lines I make a cox rant look like a nursery rhyme.