Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic violation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veritas79

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone with certainty post the names of schools that ask that all-encompassing question about crimes or criminal offenses other than minor motor vehicle violations on their secondaries? I am posting in this forum b/c you guys have already gone through the process once. I have a disorderly conduct conviction that is classified as a violation (in my state, NY), but I rather not speak of it. It doesn't matter if the application asks about misdemeanors since I won't be technically lying. I'm more interested in knowing about schools that asks the blanket statement so I could save my $$ by not applying to them through AMCAS or AACOM . I already know of two allopathic schools for certain by looking at their secondaries for last year's applicants, online:

1) Dartmouth - "Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense other than minor motor vehicle violations?"

2) AECOM - "Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic violation?"

Thanks in advance

PS - Please reply regardless of whether the school is allopathic or osteopathic . Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Wouldn't be easier to list the schools where you plan to apply? Next easiest would be too list schools that don't ask...

Tulane doesn't ask. Texas schools ask...Are you currently under charge or have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, other than minor traffic violations?

Thanks 2tall for your input. It is appreciated. I would list the schools that I do plan to apply, but I have a long list since I don't know my MCAT score yet from this April's testing. I also suspect the list would be shorter if it was limited to school's that ask since the majority of schools seems to want to know about felonies only.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please be aware that when you apply for state licensure after medical school this question pops up again. I remember reading online about one young doc who was denied North Carolina licensure after they found out he lied on his medical school application about a one time drug misdemeanor which he denied. There have been residents thrown out of residencies in the middle of their residencies in California because there licenses were denied (California requires state licensure in order to enter second year of residency). Just a word of warning to all to behave yourselves and be more careful and not do something stupid! BE THE PERFECT CITIZEN! Think twice about driving home after having that ONE glass of wine during a summer barbecue with family (yes, one glass of wine can give you a DUI- just ask Tracy Gold) or getting caught with some joints in the airport (ask Whitney Houston) or sleeping with that prostitute (ask Hugh Grant) or engaging in public lewdness (ask George Michael) or inside trading on that stock tip (ask Martha Stewart- convicted felon). Yes, Tracy, Whitney, Hugh, George and Martha will all have heck to pay if they were applying to be medical professionals. Think twice about illegally downloading that new hit song from the Black Eyed peas. Think twice about going fourty in a thirty mile zone and you accidently hit a girl who runs in front of your car to get a ball. Think twice about sneaking that grape in Stop N Shop! Think twice about hiring that illegal alien from Mexico to clean your house or do yardwork. Think twice about stealing those hubcaps off your neighbors cars to sell on EBAY to pay your tuition. Think twice about commenting on how nice the file clerk's skirt looks. Ok, maybe I am getting carried away but I am just trying to hammer away a point here- THINK THINK THINK!!! In America we love to relish in seeing other people get busted- just visit thesmokinggun website and see for yourself. Once a felon- always a felon! The system has very little sympathy and shows no mercy to such offendors. In a competitive society such as ours, we will claw each other's eyes out to get ahead of one another. Except the competition clawed their own eyes out in these situations without bloodying our own hands. And worst of all, NEVER NEVER NEVER lie on an application!!! This is the kiss of death and will guarantee censure- background checks will find you and in the future when you apply to other states you will have to declare rejections from other states and how come. This is how one little cover up on your part can snowball. State medical boards need to protect themselves from the sue crazy public and will treat all physicians as potential convicts until proven not so (guilty until proven innocent to get that medical license).

DISCLAIMER: I do not have a criminal record but am aware of the process as I am a resident soon to be applying for licensure.

nradsoit3 said:
Please be aware that when you apply for state licensure after medical school this question pops up again. I remember reading online about one young doc who was denied North Carolina licensure after they found out he lied on his medical school application about a one time drug misdemeanor which he denied. There have been residents thrown out of residencies in the middle of their residencies in California because there licenses were denied (California requires state licensure in order to enter second year of residency). Just a word of warning to all to behave yourselves and be more careful and not do something stupid! BE THE PERFECT CITIZEN! Think twice about driving home after having that ONE glass of wine during a summer barbecue with family (yes, one glass of wine can give you a DUI- just ask Tracy Gold) or getting caught with some joints in the airport (ask Whitney Houston) or sleeping with that prostitute (ask Hugh Grant) or engaging in public lewdness (ask George Michael) or inside trading on that stock tip (ask Martha Stewart- convicted felon). Yes, Tracy, Whitney, Hugh, George and Martha will all have heck to pay if they were applying to be medical professionals. Think twice about illegally downloading that new hit song from the Black Eyed peas. Think twice about going fourty in a thirty mile zone and you accidently hit a girl who runs in front of your car to get a ball. Think twice about sneaking that grape in Stop N Shop! Think twice about hiring that illegal alien from Mexico to clean your house or do yardwork. Think twice about stealing those hubcaps off your neighbors cars to sell on EBAY to pay your tuition. Think twice about commenting on how nice the file clerk's skirt looks. Ok, maybe I am getting carried away but I am just trying to hammer away a point here- THINK THINK THINK!!! In America we love to relish in seeing other people get busted- just visit thesmokinggun website and see for yourself. Once a felon- always a felon! The system has very little sympathy and shows no mercy to such offendors. In a competitive society such as ours, we will claw each other's eyes out to get ahead of one another. Except the competition clawed their own eyes out in these situations without bloodying our own hands. And worst of all, NEVER NEVER NEVER lie on an application!!! This is the kiss of death and will guarantee censure- background checks will find you and in the future when you apply to other states you will have to declare rejections from other states and how come. This is how one little cover up on your part can snowball. State medical boards need to protect themselves from the sue crazy public and will treat all physicians as potential convicts until proven not so (guilty until proven innocent to get that medical license).

DISCLAIMER: I do not have a criminal record but am aware of the process as I am a resident soon to be applying for licensure.

oh my goodness nradsoit3, you are too funny. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.