Have you ever had a kidney stone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLOSS UR TEETH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This **** hurts (pardon me for my language) but DAMN!!!!

My urologist took a CT-scan about a month ago when I noticed coca cola urine and it showed a 4mm stone. 2 days ago (month later) when I was shadowing a dentist, I suddenly felt pain in my groin and it began to radiate around my lower back and flank region. When I got home, I was on the floor vomiting and then passed out on the couch for an hour since the pain was so unbearable.

THEN, yesterday I had another attack and this time it lasted for ~20 hours. It was the worst pain in my life, it hurt so damn bad! I was vomiting all throughout the day and night. I believe it was bile b/c it tasted bitter and was yellow :confused:. I'm on prescribed pain killers and rapaflo. I hope none of u ever have to experience this and if you did, I feel your pain!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

So how does this relate to dentistry in any way? This isn't a website to complain about personal problems.

This **** hurts (pardon me for my language) but DAMN!!!!

My urologist took a CT-scan about a month ago when I noticed coca cola urine and it showed a 4mm stone. 2 days ago (month later) when I was shadowing a dentist, I suddenly felt pain in my groin and it began to radiate around my lower back and flank region. When I got home, I was on the floor vomiting and then passed out on the couch for an hour since the pain was so unbearable.

THEN, yesterday I had another attack and this time it lasted for ~20 hours. It was the worst pain in my life, it hurt so damn bad! I was vomiting all throughout the day and night. I believe it was bile b/c it tasted bitter and was yellow :confused:. I'm on prescribed pain killers and rapaflo. I hope none of u ever have to experience this and if you did, I feel your pain!!!!!

Yeah, I had a similar experience second year of dschool. It was also terribly unbearable pain, much worse than orthognathic surgery (the only thing I have to compare it to).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I had a similar experience second year of dschool. It was also terribly unbearable pain, much worse than orthognathic surgery (the only thing I have to compare it to).

I don't want to have to experience this in dental school. How do you study with all that pain? I don't even want to imagine that.

Sorry to hear man... i have had some good friends go through it. Sounds super painful.

Are you going to try and pass it or get it lasered out?

So how does this relate to dentistry in any way? This isn't a website to complain about personal problems.

WHOA, WE GOT A MOD OVER HERE.

People regularly post stuff like this, breaks the tension... and it did happen to him while shadowing.

Get lost.

Sorry to hear man... i have had some good friends go through it. Sounds super painful.

Are you going to try and pass it or get it lasered out?

No, I'm going to try and pass it out. The doc said that it most likely should pass on its own because it's pretty small. There's just no telling when it will though, but hopefully soon! :scared:

WHOA, WE GOT A MOD OVER HERE.

People regularly post stuff like this, breaks the tension... and it did happen to him while shadowing.

Get lost.

Regularly? I can't seem to find a lot of posts about people's health issues and I didn't know we were breaking tension on SDN. I thought we were here to gain and provide advice about getting into dental school, of which this post has nothing to do.

Regularly? I can't seem to find a lot of posts about people's health issues and I didn't know we were breaking tension on SDN. I thought we were here to gain and provide advice about getting into dental school, of which this post has nothing to do.

You are not a regular poster, nor have you added anything whatsoever to this thread.

For us regulars, it is nice to break the monotony and talk about something other than answering the million "what are my chances", "postbac vs masters", "which school", and "need advice" threads.

You are not a regular poster, nor have you added anything whatsoever to this thread.

For us regulars, it is nice to break the monotony and talk about something other than answering the million "what are my chances", "postbac vs masters", "which school", and "need advice" threads.

:)

No, I'm going to try and pass it out. The doc said that it most likely should pass on its own because it's pretty small. There's just no telling when it will though, but hopefully soon! :scared:

Times like this make one spiteful to be well endowed or thankful to have a little buddy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your going to pass a 4mm stone?! 2mm sure, but a 4 would be rough lol. I would get that bad boy laser'd and then pass the fragments lol. Sorry to hear man!! :(

I don't want to have to experience this in dental school. How do you study with all that pain? I don't even want to imagine that.

You can't study with the pain or pain meds. You just have to take time off until it passes (fortunately a day for me). Mine was also about ~4mm and to my understanding that size is usually passed naturally pending it is not "stuck". The pain will be ok once you are medicated but you will not be able to function well if you are on the doses I was on. After this you'll learn to drink water like its your job, and of course make sure you analyze the stone to see if you can avoid its contributing factors. Also in case you don't know, having one at this age means you are extremely likely to have many more. Be prepared.

You can't study with the pain or pain meds. You just have to take time off until it passes (fortunately a day for me). Mine was also about ~4mm and to my understanding that size is usually passed naturally pending it is not "stuck". The pain will be ok once you are medicated but you will not be able to function well if you are on the doses I was on. After this you'll learn to drink water like its your job, and of course make sure you analyze the stone to see if you can avoid its contributing factors. Also in case you don't know, having one at this age means you are extremely likely to have many more. Be prepared.

I had a friend who had a stone that was only 3mm (If I remember correctly), and had it broken up. I am unaware if it was lodged or not. It probably was from what you say. Either way, it was a painful thing to watch, which makes me think a 4mm stone would be unbearable!

Once again OP, I really hope this goes quickly for you!! :(

All I can say is WATER, WATER, WATER! Chug 2-3 gallons of water per day and make sure you stay by the bathroom, lol. Oh, and don't forget cranberry pills or cranberry juice. It acidifies the kidney stone to help break it up. It's painful but after this experience you'll remember never to do that to yourself ever again!

My friend had a stone and she was in pain for about a week. But the pain tapered off and she didn't know exactly when she passed it.

defly do not drink cranberry juice. u dont need more acid in your body.

I'm drinking water as I type lol. I knew/heard about them, but I didn't really ever come across someone who had it. I just googled it and it just sounds so painful. Hope you get better quick.

Thanks everyone, I'm feeling much better today. I found drinking a lot of water and soup to help with the loss of appetite and I ate a couple of ginger chews which made my stomach feel better.

Let's say you're a dentist, and you're working on a patient, when you suddenly get one of these terrible pains. What do you do?

Seriously, if you've got some sort of chronic, painful, interferes-with-your-ability-to-do-life, conditions, how will you deal with it while having a career as a dentist? Are you just going to stop working in the middle of a procedure? Reschedule your patient? Take a crap ton of pain killers? What happens if you're up all night vomiting and in pain the night before you have to be up early for day of work? Won't this affect your performance?

How DO dentists (and other health professionals) deal with these sort of situations?

Serious question.

Haha, I had them. The most painful experience of my life. I just laid on the floor with my eyes rolled back until the pain passed. After that I started drinking more water and I drink a cup of tea everyday and haven't had them since. Prior to that I barely drank water during the day. This was around my 21st birthday. If it happens during your board exams or while you're drilling, you're well out of luck!

Let's say you're a dentist, and you're working on a patient, when you suddenly get one of these terrible pains. What do you do?

Seriously, if you've got some sort of chronic, painful, interferes-with-your-ability-to-do-life, conditions, how will you deal with it while having a career as a dentist? Are you just going to stop working in the middle of a procedure? Reschedule your patient? Take a crap ton of pain killers? What happens if you're up all night vomiting and in pain the night before you have to be up early for day of work? Won't this affect your performance?

How DO dentists (and other health professionals) deal with these sort of situations?

Serious question.

I think the answer is pretty obvious lol. If you're in so much pain, you can't work, you take off work. Then refer your patients to other dentists/hospital in case of emergencies. What other possibility would you have?

I'm sorry to hear about the kidney stone. It really is quite awful. You know what though, you end up in clinic for hours seeing patients without being able to take one sip of water. Get a note from your doctor and bring a bottle with you to clinic. It's a medical condition that requires you to frequently drink water.

Reminds me an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm but I digress. Please feel better soon.

I think the answer is pretty obvious lol. If you're in so much pain, you can't work, you take off work. Then refer your patients to other dentists/hospital in case of emergencies. What other possibility would you have?

Ok...but what if it's a chronic problem? How the hell are you going to perform your job regularly, and have your patients depend on you to be there for them, if at any moment you can get a kidney stone or a migrain or what have you...