Have you ever heard of a Pharmacist that makes $100 an hour?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmBoy90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This kid at my school says his uncle is a Pharmacist and makes $100 an hour. I forgot to ask what kind of Pharmacist of where he works, but have you ever heard of such a thing? Is this possible?

Members don't see this ad.

I got an e-mail a while back regarding a hospital in rural Kansas (not critical access) that was offering temps $85 an hour plus mileage reimbursement, which included airfare if necessary. They would even make arrangements for a provisional Kansas license for someone who didn't already have one.

What was the catch?

They also had to be fluent in Spanish and Vietnamese.

Very possible indeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
The highest I've heard in my state is almost 190K, which would be about $95/hr if you worked 2000 hours a year. But with overtime, I think the average hourly rate could go over $100/hr.

The highest I've heard in my state is almost 190K, which would be about $95/hr if you worked 2000 hours a year. But with overtime, I think the average hourly rate could go over $100/hr.

Wow, what line of work?

Retail, but it's not at a location where I would want to work.

When I was in school in the early 1990s, one colleague found out about a retail job in very rural West Virginia that paid $110,000 a year, which was about twice the going rate at the time. Don't recall which chain it was, but it was the only way they could get anyone to work and live there.

And then there was the hospital in my region that had the $30,000 sign on bonus. How terrible a place must THAT be to work at if they have to do that?

When I was in school in the early 1990s, one colleague found out about a retail job in very rural West Virginia that paid $110,000 a year, which was about twice the going rate at the time. Don't recall which chain it was, but it was the only way they could get anyone to work and live there.

And then there was the hospital in my region that had the $30,000 sign on bonus. How terrible a place must THAT be to work at if they have to do that?

I say undesirable because of the crime rate, and not because it's a fairly small town. I'll find some big enough town and commute to work, even if I have to drive 20~30 minutes.

I don't mind working at an independent or a chain or a hospital in a small town if I feel safe there.

Are the people who makes $100 an hour, typically Pharmacists that own their own Pharmacy? Or could people who work in hospitals, retail, etc be making this?

I say undesirable because of the crime rate, and not because it's a fairly small town. I'll find some big enough town and commute to work, even if I have to drive 20~30 minutes.

I don't mind working at an independent or a chain or a hospital in a small town if I feel safe there.

It's common knowledge here that I'm job hunting, and a couple months ago, I stopped by a hospital in a nearby large city that in addition to being in a really bad neighborhood, seemed to be on lockdown. Nobody at the front desk, all the windows shuttered, bulletproof glass everywhere, people not walking around........no, I won't apply here, TYVM.

Are the people who makes $100 an hour, typically Pharmacists that own their own Pharmacy? Or could people who work in hospitals, retail, etc be making this?

Pharmacists at some of the local major retail chains make between 50-60 an hour, and I doubt an independent (for the most part) could afford for the owner to pocket 100/hr, unless it's insanely busy or has a heck of a hookup in the form of government contracts, etc.