Have you ever written an essay that amazed yourself?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wrote a secondary essay with an average prompt. It certainly didn't strike me as unique, as it's a common interview question. What came out, however, was amazing in my own words. Just reading it made me feel revitalized.

I could not believe that I wrote this essay considering how my normal stuff is useless blather that receives such sarcastic remarks from professors as "Is English your second language?" in reference to writing skills. I'm NOT kidding. I received that as one of my comments.

Members don't see this ad.

Way to go, I love that feeling! That's how I used to feel with every essay I wrote until I met my high school english teacher who returned each of my papers blood red with ink :(. But I still amaze myself once in a while. I hate writing essays but I usually feel good about it when I'm done.

I just wrote a secondary essay with an average prompt. It certainly didn't strike me as unique, as it's a common interview question. What came out, however, was amazing in my own words. Just reading it made me feel revitalized.

I could not believe that I wrote this essay considering how my normal stuff is useless blather that receives such sarcastic remarks from professors as "Is English your second language?" in reference to writing skills. I'm NOT kidding. I received that as one of my comments.

OK great, but you can't just talk about how great it is without showing it. Put up or shut up, that's my motto. If you're going to make these wild unsubstantiated claims, just talk about how great you are in bed or how good-looking you are while you're at it.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be honest, it usually works the other way for me.

While writing it, I think the essay is awesome, then after reading it a few days/weeks later, I realize it was actually pretty crappy.

OK great, but you can't just talk about how great it is without showing it. Put up or shut up, that's my motto. If you're going to make these wild unsubstantiated claims, just talk about how great you are in bed or how good-looking you are while you're at it.

Agreed, lets see it

:eyebrow:

Wouldn't that be a violation of being Anon, considering it IS a secondary essay?

Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to show what I was writing about:

Compassghost_-_Painting_-_Koi_in_the_Pond.jpg

Painted this a few years back. Still enjoy looking at it.

Basically I compared painting to watching open heart surgery when I was shadowing.

Wouldn't that be a violation of being Anon, considering it IS a secondary essay?

Basically I compared painting to watching open heart surgery when I was shadowing.

oh god cheeeeeeeeeeeeesy. i wrote a variation of that for college apps. I compared painting to my grandfather's passing away and how it affected my life and how it helped me see things in a whole new perspective and blah blah.

cheeeeeeeeeesy

oh god cheeeeeeeeeeeeesy. i wrote a variation of that for college apps. I compared painting to my grandfather's passing away and how it affected my life and how it helped me see things in a whole new perspective and blah blah.

cheeeeeeeeeesy

I wouldn't consider painting that influential on life. It certainly was better than my friends telling me I should document how I got S ranks in Trauma Center.

Painting =/= surgery

Nobody dies from a brushstroke. Also, painting is boring. How many surgeons do you know who spends his or her free time painting?

That's kinda mean... It seems to me that the OP is speaking in relative terms. Obviously an award-winning writer wouldn't think that MOST of our writing is all that special.

dang there are some negative nancy-s around here.

I think I'm a decent writer in general but i love when you read through an essay you're like "dang I'm good". I mean who really knows whether the adcoms agree but its a nice feeling when you can submit your essay feeling like it is everything it should be.

Good for you. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

Yea, it would probably reveal more about you than you would like. Nonetheless, why would you start a thread about it if you don't want to post it? At the bare minimum you should send it to at least a few other people (including myself), and we can comment on whether you speak the truth or are just another delusional pre-med.

Nice picture. I like colors.

I was discussing the feeling. I rarely write an essay that I feel good about. Words like... epiphany, inspiration. I'd prefer not to think of myself as an essay mill, yet that's what I was feeling like for these past 20 secondary essays until this one. Euphoria?

I'm a horrible writer, but I wrote my MD/PhD essay after reading "Les Misérables"... and for some reason I think it was outstanding. My friend even said "this is much better than your MD personal statement."

Yea, it would probably reveal more about you than you would like. Nonetheless, why would you start a thread about it if you don't want to post it? At the bare minimum you should send it to at least a few other people (including myself), and we can comment on whether you speak the truth or are just another delusional pre-med.

Nice picture. I like colors.

Why not?

I'm a horrible writer, but I wrote my MD/PhD essay after reading "Les Misérables"... and for some reason I think it was outstanding. My friend even said "this is much better than your MD personal statement."

Nice. I liked that book too ^.^

hahaha i love the *******s on this thread.

compass, i was kidding. i'm sure you wrote a good essay and i'm hope it shows when the adcom reads it.

i love that feeling too.

I feel the same way every time I look in the mirror.

The few times I actually though I wrote pretty damn well content wise and language wise for classes, I got the lowest grades. Go figure.

The few times I actually though I wrote pretty damn well content wise and language wise for classes, I got the lowest grades. Go figure.

At least your professor didn't account for your bad writing by trying to offer you a way out by accounting for being an ESOL student, which I was not.

And this wasn't K-12, this was a 300-level college course...

Last edited:
Somehow my MCAT essays ended up falling in this category. It was total luck but I ended up with an S despite never having practiced it.

Somehow only the opposite seems to happen to me. I'm writing an essay and I think it's going to be brilliant and will win a Pulitzer and get published. When I come back a week later to edit it, I realize that what I wrote is basically crap.

I feel the same way every time I look in the mirror.

:laugh:

I think my writing skills are alright. My engl 101/102 classes were cake. But my mcat writing score was M, which was a definite :eek:! Didn't study for writing but I thought I wrote pretty good prompts and I feel as if there must be some grading error. Alas poor Rosencrantz, it seems I will never know how good my writing is :lame: