What has happened since the start of medical school?

• Lost weight

Votes: 80 35.9%
  • Gained weight

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Stayed the same

Votes: 60 26.9%

• Total voters

RoboChicken

now with 80% less sodium
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2009
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I was at a pretty good weight starting med school and maintained that until step I when stress made me lose like 10 lbs in two weeks. Now I'm trying desperately to hold onto that weight loss by working out like a crazy. Maybe the stress of 3rd yr rotations starting in 2 weeks will help with that downward trend...

Lefty Doodle

10+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2010
Status
  1. Medical Student
BMI can be misleading. Woman naturally have more fat vs lean mass than man.

How do you calculate your ideal weight, Use the Lorenz Formula. It takes gender, age and height in consideration.

I was only saying BMI because how big a person is depends on the ratio of their weight and height, I am aware that BMI is not a substitute for body fat %.

About the Ads
Nov 18, 2007
Status
  1. Attending Physician
i was an older med student and being a guy i noticed the derriers (sic) of the young coeds- which got fatter and fatter through the 4 years lol

Jun 1, 2013
Status
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
i was an older med student and being a guy i noticed the derriers (sic) of the young coeds- which got fatter and fatter through the 4 years lol

You say that like it is a bad thing, it's estrogens kicking in. Depends where they started though

Jul 14, 2012
Status
  1. Medical Student
Lost weight during basic sciences, but gained it alllll back and then some while studying for Step 1. Now I'm at the end of MS3 trying to lose it all. Pretty sure I won't fit into my pantsuit for residency interviews unless I do.

Jun 14, 2013
Status
  1. Medical Student
I have lost around 10 lbs studying for Step 1. My mom was freaking out, but I have been eating well since I finished my tests and should put it right back on.

Jun 9, 2014
I have no more weight when i start the school but after that i don't have time for workout. But still i am using my balance scale on daily basis to check that how much weight i gain or lose. which help me in controlling my weight.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2013
Since beginning medical school have you lost, maintained, or gained weight? Is there adequate time to workout and stay fit?

When my mother was pregnant with me, they did an ultrasound and found she was having twins. When they did another ultrasound a few weeks later, they discovered that I had adsorbed the other fetus. Do I regret this? No, I believe his tissue has made me stronger. I now have the strength of a grown man and a little baby.

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 8, 2013
I don't know
Status
  1. Medical Student
So f'ed up. Ive gained 8 pounds in 8 weeks, while simultaneously losing muscle mass. No more pizza I don't care if it is free. No more.

Reactions: FutureDO08
Jul 23, 2013
Status
  1. Medical Student
lose, even sitting on my butts all day long. Too lazy/annoyed by my study to eat real food. I gain ~4 lb during the day slurping pots and pots of tea and coffee on a daily basis. When I get super stressed out or emotional I wash down some sleeping aids with a mix of wine/vodka, which usually lead to a state of stupor and indifference for food, then the catastrophic amount of caffeine makes me restless when I actually get up and relax.

Reactions: kirbymiester
About the Ads
May 17, 2009
Status
  1. Medical Student
Pretty sure I stayed about the same. However, I am far more out of shape than I used to be. I had more stamina and strength before med school, but my diet/sleep/exercise schedule all went out of whack or stopped first year. I really want to start exercising again but it keeps getting put on the back burner for one reason or another. It's gotta happen though.

I thought about this too haha

Last edited:
Reactions: O Grady

calvnandhobbs68

I KNOW NOTHING
May 20, 2010
Status
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
lose, even sitting on my butts all day long. Too lazy/annoyed by my study to eat real food. I gain ~4 lb during the day slurping pots and pots of tea and coffee on a daily basis. When I get super stressed out or emotional I wash down some sleeping aids with a mix of wine/vodka, which usually lead to a state of stupor and indifference for food, then the catastrophic amount of caffeine makes me restless when I actually get up and relax.

wat

Mr.Zero

5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2014
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I've lost about 5 lbs. I graduated from undergrad a semester early and used that time to train for a half marathon. I ended up losing about 35 lbs through, running and just eating a lot healthier. I haven't ran since orientation week but the healthy eating has stuck with me and I avoid excessive snacking my heading to the library to study. If I stay at home, I'll make a trip to the fridge like every time I lose focus studying.

IncognitoGuy

life of leisure
7+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2011
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Gained ~30 while on a bulk and cut 20 of that.

I've heard the real killer is third year.. I was talking to a 4th year who was telling me how so many of her classmates gained crazy amounts of weight then.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
Pretty sure you're going to get scurvy and osteoporosis
Do you even know what's in chili dude? I make a pot with 5 pounds of fresh peppers of different varieties (poblanos, four varieties of bell peppers, jalapeños, serranos, and piquillos), 10 pounds of tomatoes, 2 pounds of onions, 2 heads of garlic, 7 pounds of beans, and 5 pounds of 93% lean ground beef. It's got vitamin C for days, all the protein you could ask for, tons of fiber, and more vegetables than I ever imagined could be fit into a diet of a guy that used to eat nothing but meat. Mix in some sour cream or greek yoghurt and top with cheese, and you've got a perfect meal, calcium and all.

About the Ads

jakeislove

MS IV
Oct 29, 2012
Upstate, New York
Status
  1. Medical Student
Mine is relatively constant due to working out 5-6 days/week. I need to eat and drink more, though. Would be nice to put on 10-15 lbs. I feel a lot better over 200 than 190ish but with a fast metabolism it takes eating all freaking day to maintain the additional muscle.

5+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2013
Status
  1. Medical Student
Do you even know what's in chili dude? I make a pot with 5 pounds of fresh peppers of different varieties (poblanos, four varieties of bell peppers, jalapeños, serranos, and piquillos), 10 pounds of tomatoes, 2 pounds of onions, 2 heads of garlic, 7 pounds of beans, and 5 pounds of 93% lean ground beef. It's got vitamin C for days, all the protein you could ask for, tons of fiber, and more vegetables than I ever imagined could be fit into a diet of a guy that used to eat nothing but meat. Mix in some sour cream or greek yoghurt and top with cheese, and you've got a perfect meal, calcium and all.

Hands-down the best defense of chili ever written. Bravo.

CyberMaxx

Doing math in pen
Dec 6, 2008
Carrel 118
Status
  1. Medical Student
What I've found since I've been here is that I am eating much better and spending more time in the gym. Its just too much stress and pressure to perform for me to not take care of myself. I also find that I'm sleeping much more than I did in undergrad. I've realized by staying up a couple extra hours I'm making myself as much as 50% less productive the next day. Better to just get my sleep and start fresh in the morning. :yawn:

jakeislove

MS IV
Oct 29, 2012
Upstate, New York
Status
  1. Medical Student
I like to think of it as liquid bread.

"Beer has no calories when drank from a bottle" is my mantra, LOL!

Initially; I wouldn't pour beer into a glass and avoided cans because they seem to affect the flavor.

I noticed no fatness associated with beer loving and wondered if there was a reason. Lacking both a common-sense reason and desire for proper research, I've adopted the more amusing theory that cans and transfer to another glass must activate the calories. I've enjoyed beer for years without getting fat simply through avoiding too much from a can and generally refusing to drink it from glasses.

It's entirely possible that a solid diet, fast metabolism, great genetics, and regular exercise may play small roles but the whole calorie/glass thing is far more enjoyable. :)

I also avoid lite beer and generally feel it is something for women or guys who really aren't much into beer.

Banned

7+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2013
Status
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Wow. 29+ lbs pot of chili? That's not even a pot. More like a cauldron. Upload a pic.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
Wow. 29+ lbs pot of chili? That's not even a pot. More like a cauldron. Upload a pic.
I use a 22 liter crab pot similar to this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-Style-22-Quart-Covered-Stockpot/19581118

Usually it's full to the brim, which is around 6 gallons of chili. I make huge batches since it's a pretty time consuming process- each batch takes about 2 hours to make, start to finish, but increasing the batch size doesn't add a whole lot of time, so it's better to make one six gallon batch in two hours than six one gallon batches in 12 hours.

I'll upload pics next time I make a batch though, start to finish so you guys can see the ridiculous amount of veggies and spices that go into a good batch of chili.

Reactions: sinombre

sinombre

surviving
May 20, 2012
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I use a 22 liter crab pot similar to this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-Style-22-Quart-Covered-Stockpot/19581118

Usually it's full to the brim, which is around 6 gallons of chili. I make huge batches since it's a pretty time consuming process- each batch takes about 2 hours to make, start to finish, but increasing the batch size doesn't add a whole lot of time, so it's better to make one six gallon batch in two hours than six one gallon batches in 12 hours.

I'll upload pics next time I make a batch though, start to finish so you guys can see the ridiculous amount of veggies and spices that go into a good batch of chili.

That's awesome, I kind of want to give this a go some time soon.

Reactions: Mad Jack

calvnandhobbs68

I KNOW NOTHING
May 20, 2010
Status
  1. Fellow [Any Field]

This is awesome, definitely upload pics when you make the next batch. A man after my own heart, content with consistency. I'd love to do this but the woman would probably kill me if I ate chili every day for a week...

Roxas

Giggity!
Jul 5, 2012
Twilight Town
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]

Damn dude now I want some chili

Banned

7+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2013
Status
  1. Fellow [Any Field]

Cool. Sounds like a variation of the popular "meat slop" recipe.
http://www.silverhydra.com/2011/10/meat-slop/

I tried it for a couple months. Only clogged the toilet 6 times.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads