Have you had a bad interview at DMU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lars1297

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a student interviewer for DMU and I'm concerned with with the fact that there is ANY negative feedback about interviews at my school. Alot of the comments are vague (and understandably bitter) and include adjectives such as strange, weird, uncomfortable, etc.

Can any of you elaborate on your experiences and give more details? As students, we're concerned about the reputation of DMU and would like to work to correct the situation so the rest of you don't have similar "strange" interview experiences. Any feedback would be helpful... and if you help me, I"ll try to help you with any advice that I can provide. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there last Friday (12/2) and felt that the interviewers were awesome. I liked them alot. I just hope I get in now.

USArmyDoc said:
I interviewed there last Friday (12/2) and felt that the interviewers were awesome. I liked them alot. I just hope I get in now.

If you felt your day went well, it probably did. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't have a bad interview, but I did feel like the DMU interview was a bit more confrontational than some of my other interviews. It wasn't anything big, but I did get some pointed questions about my experience and background, which really is fair game.

It seems like some people here have the notion that DMU decides to reject or waitlist some candidates before the interview, and they get this negative vibe during the interview. As a student interviewer, I guess you can share some insight on that one.

exlawgrrl said:
I didn't have a bad interview, but I did feel like the DMU interview was a bit more confrontational than some of my other interviews. It wasn't anything big, but I did get some pointed questions about my experience and background, which really is fair game.

It seems like some people here have the notion that DMU decides to reject or waitlist some candidates before the interview, and they get this negative vibe during the interview. As a student interviewer, I guess you can share some insight on that one.
I felt like my interviewer really didn't want to be there. Several times I thought he was sleeping. He had his head down and his eyes looked closed. Very distracting and made me feel like I was dragging my answers on too long and boring him.

I was pretty clear on my posts, I think. Every question that was asked of me I answered. And then came 20 -30 seconds (no, I'm really not kidding) of the three interviewers staring at me like I said something in Swahili. Blank stony faced staring. I tried being congenial. I tried being plain. I tried anecdotes. Nothing came back... just blank stony faces staring at me. I would ask for clarification of a question, and blank stony faces stared back at me. I think, quite frankly, that a dark room with a single light over my chair would have been a warmer reception.

The problem I had with the experience was the complete 180 turn from the rest of the day. It left me with the feeling that one of those faces of DMU was correct (either the warm friendly one, or the hard unfeeling uncaring brick wall one), and I really couldn't justify either one. So either one of those portrayals of the school was wrong (in which case there's a problem) or both of those portrayals is correct, in which case there's a bigger problem than I wanted to get in the middle of.

Before I went to my DMU interview, DMU was at the very top of my list. After the interview, it went to dead last. I just couldn't reconcile the two faces of the school that were shown to me. I was really quite frankly relieved I was waitlisted.

ShyRem said:
I was pretty clear on my posts, I think. Every question that was asked of me I answered. And then came 20 -30 seconds (no, I'm really not kidding) of the three interviewers staring at me like I said something in Swahili. Blank stony faced staring. I tried being congenial. I tried being plain. I tried anecdotes. Nothing came back... just blank stony faces staring at me. I would ask for clarification of a question, and blank stony faces stared back at me. I think, quite frankly, that a dark room with a single light over my chair would have been a warmer reception.

The problem I had with the experience was the complete 180 turn from the rest of the day. It left me with the feeling that one of those faces of DMU was correct (either the warm friendly one, or the hard unfeeling uncaring brick wall one), and I really couldn't justify either one. So either one of those portrayals of the school was wrong (in which case there's a problem) or both of those portrayals is correct, in which case there's a bigger problem than I wanted to get in the middle of.

Before I went to my DMU interview, DMU was at the very top of my list. After the interview, it went to dead last. I just couldn't reconcile the two faces of the school that were shown to me. I was really quite frankly relieved I was waitlisted.
Shy, where else will you go if you don't get into VCU or CU? Just curious. I loved DMU and its too bad you didn't. It would be cool to have ya in my class. Just curious. :oops:

I got into UNE. Turned down my MSUCOM and PCOM-Ga interview... MSUCOM due to money issues (their oos tuition is HIGH) and PCOM-Ga since my husband isn't too keen on Georgia. Interestingly enough, UNE was near last on my list until the interview. My interviewer was tough, congenial, a consummate questioner, blunt and to the point. My kind of person - I am definitely a WYSIWYG. I like straight honest open questions and dialog. DMUs interview is definitely NOT my kind of place... it seemed.... dishonest almost. Like they were hiding something. Or lying about something. Just 'off'. y'know? Anyway, after my UNE interview, UNE hit darn near the top of the list based solely on the interview. Funny how the interview day makes such an impression, isn't it?

Oh, and lars? I'm not bitter about DMU. Relieved if anything. But not bitter. I'm just grateful beyond belief that I got into somewhere else that seems to fit me better, and not at all concerned I didn't get into DMU. Not at ALL concerned. :)

ShyRem said:
I got into UNE. Turned down my MSUCOM and PCOM-Ga interview... MSUCOM due to money issues (their oos tuition is HIGH) and PCOM-Ga since my husband isn't too keen on Georgia. Interestingly enough, UNE was near last on my list until the interview. My interviewer was tough, congenial, a consummate questioner, blunt and to the point. My kind of person - I am definitely a WYSIWYG. I like straight honest open questions and dialog. DMUs interview is definitely NOT my kind of place... it seemed.... dishonest almost. Like they were hiding something. Or lying about something. Just 'off'. y'know? Anyway, after my UNE interview, UNE hit darn near the top of the list based solely on the interview. Funny how the interview day makes such an impression, isn't it?

Oh, and lars? I'm not bitter about DMU. Relieved if anything. But not bitter. I'm just grateful beyond belief that I got into somewhere else that seems to fit me better, and not at all concerned I didn't get into DMU. Not at ALL concerned. :)

JBONE and Shyrem,

We will all get into VCU and go together since we all loved that school. :D

JBONE, what part of Utah are you from? What other schools have you been accepted to?

exlawgrrl said:

You're right... pointed questions are fair game... AND, more importantly, are often nothing more than to see how you will handle stress and/or criticism... and to assess your maturity of character.

I can assure everyone that DMU DOES NOT make any prior decisions about acceptance of a candidate before the interview takes place. In my experience- both during the year I applied and subsequent years, an outright rejection is not very common. Waitlisting usually takes place for one of three reasons:
1. Interviewers question the candidates ability to handle the workload- whether that be evidenced by their performance in science courses or their performance on the mcat. One or two bad grades will not hurt you, but multiple bad grades in SCIENCE courses will make them question your ability to handle the workload of medical school.
2. Interviewers may question the candiate's maturity in general. This is remedied by nothing more than just having more life experience... cut your losses and apply again the next year and work hard to participate in many new and varied experiences during the year to improve your application.
3. Interviewers question the candiates motivation for OSTEOPATHIC medicine. I noticed on another thread that people mentioned DMU's obsession with OMM and osteopathy. Frankly, I'm curious why people are complaining about this when they chose to apply to an osteopathic school in the first place. IF you apply to an osteopathic school, you are expected to have a passion for the philosophy and distinguishing features (i.e. Osteopathic Manipulative medicine)... and if it is detected in your interview that you do not possess this passion, interviewers will have issues with this.

I hope this helps people. Obviously my answers are not absolute but they are what I have seen in the last few years. As for other experiences, such as disinterested interviewers, etc... I know how you feel. I got the same feel at CCOM- and although I was accepted, this experience completely ruined my opinion of that school. So.. I sympathize. I really have no explanation- especially since I don't know who specifically has given each of your interviews... knowing that info would make alot of difference... with that being said, I apologize for any uncomfortable experiences and hope that people continue to the great amounts of praises that DMU receives on this website.

ShyRem said:

Whether or not I agree with your comment about being "relieved" is beside the point...the excellent point that you did make, however, is what many other people need to realize... everyone needs to find the school that is the right fit for them. Oftentimes, that is what the interviewers are saying through their waitlisting/rejection, etc... I myself have waitlisted a candidate because I didnt' believe they were the BEST fit for DMU... they may have been ok...but we're looking for the best students for us... and you all should be doing the same.

I interviewed at DMU and I liked the school, but the interview really turned me off. I was the in the last set of interviews for the day and my interviewers looked like they really wanted to be somewhere else. One kept looking at the clock and I caught another staring at the wall. This really distracted me and compromised the quality of my interview. They also seemed to be very bias against my research. I got the vibe that they werent interested in people with research experience. Its too bad because the admissions staff was the most friendly group of people I have met, and if it werent for the interview I might have considered going there.

I had a completely different experience with DMU and the interview but still ended up with a bad taste in my mouth about the school. I loved every minute of the day that I was there. The school was amazing and I felt as though it was definitely the school for me. I really liked Des Moines also. Seeing the facillities and meeting so many wonderful people really made the day great. DMU quickly became my top choice during my day there. Then I got to the interview and everything went great. The questions were very straightforward and it was more of a conversation than really a hard hitting question session. I got wonderful feedback from all three interviewers and was sure that I had nailed it. One thing that was made very clear throughout the day was that if you were there for the interview, they already were happy with your grades and MCAT scores. They made a big point of saying that they really just wanted to get to know you and see your personality. I think I showed them this in the interview and made it very clear that DMU would be the perfect fit. The interviewers made me feel like I had just nailed the interview and I felt that I would easily be accepted if I had already made it past my grades and MCAT. Then a week later I got the email telling me I was put on the waitlist. How could that have happened? what would cause an interviewer to tell a person how they seemed to fit so well and then not reccomend them for the school. This really made me feel that the interviewers were being completely fake in the interview and not true to the school and what I felt the school was all about. The other two interviews I have had at other schools did not go nearly as well as it did at DMU and I got acceptances to both of these. Oh well. I guess it is DMU's loss, not mine. I will be a DO wherever I go.

Any feedback for me LARS as to why this may have happened this way? Are you the student interviewer who attended university of nebraska, because if you are than you were my interviewer and I would really appreciate anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I had my interview...there was big 30 second pauses after my answers where the interviewers just looked around at eachother and at me. I think it had something to do with no prepared interview questions, however, it was pretty unnerving. The person who was the most awkward and impersonable during the interview was the student.

The highlights of the day was the tour, and some of the faculty. I am very excited to attend next year.

kumark13 said:
Any feedback for me LARS as to why this may have happened this way? Are you the student interviewer who attended university of nebraska, because if you are than you were my interviewer and I would really appreciate anything.

That's an interesting question, and I guess calls into play how much imput the interviewers actually have in the admissions process. Is it possible that the interviewers all gave positive feedback, and someone on the committee later had some qualms about your application. Even so, I can see your frustration.

Guys,
Not for nothing but what do we all expect? They can't sit there and hold our hands. A tough interview is good, regardless of the outcome. However, tough does not equate to nasty, disinterested, etc. I felt my interviewers asked me questions that required thought and I loved it.

** I am sure some of the complaints mentioned above are justified and in no way am I trying to discredit anyone. I am just giving my perspective. BTW, Lars I was accepted. :)

In Portland, i had a local doc, a prof., and a student. The whole interview was just so disorganized. The old prof. kept cutting people off in the middle of their question and even cut me off twice while I was answering the Doc.'s question so that he could ask one of his own. The student had about one minute to ask the dumbest question I have heard in 8 interviews and it took her at least five minutes to find where she had written it down. All the while there was obvious disinterest on the part of the physician, it looked like he had to be somewhere, yet he still had two more candidats to interview after me.

goinverted said:
All the while there was obvious disinterest on the part of the physician, it looked like he had to be somewhere, yet he still had two more candidats to interview after me.

Yea, same in my interview. I guess the wall was more interesting.

kumark13 said:
One thing that was made very clear throughout the day was that if you were there for the interview, they already were happy with your grades and MCAT scores. They made a big point of saying that they really just wanted to get to know you and see your personality. I think I showed them this in the interview and made it very clear that DMU would be the perfect fit. The interviewers made me feel like I had just nailed the interview and I felt that I would easily be accepted if I had already made it past my grades and MCAT. Then a week later I got the email telling me I was put on the waitlist. How could that have happened? what would cause an interviewer to tell a person how they seemed to fit so well and then not reccomend them for the school. This really made me feel that the interviewers were being completely fake in the interview and not true to the school and what I felt the school was all about. The other two interviews I have had at other schools did not go nearly as well as it did at DMU and I got acceptances to both of these. Oh well. I guess it is DMU's loss, not mine. I will be a DO wherever I go.

While I agree that it sucks your interviewers gave you the impression that you were a candidate they really liked, and yet you didn't get in. You must understand and accept a few truths about nearly all interview processes. While it is true you passed the initial screening to make it to the interview, receiving an interview does not guarantee a spot (no matter what your interviewers tell you). The admissions committee will still take into account all aspects of your application (i.e. grades, mcat, ECs, interview, and i'm sure various other intangibles). Every school I interviewed at gave me the same spiel about how they were just getting to know us at this point, yadda, yadda, yadda. I would always take that with a grain of salt, because if it were fact, then nearly 95% of all interviewees would receive acceptances. I'm assuming that there are roughly 5% of individuals who are either socially awkward, caught in a lie, or whatever else during the course of their interview day. The one positive thing that everyone should keep in mind is that most D.O. schools do rely fairly heavily on the interview, which gives a lot of students the chance to shine if they're lacking in other departments.

My 3 cents.

laboholic said:
Yea, same in my interview. I guess the wall was more interesting.

I also hate when an interviewer takes this stance, but I've just come to assume that it's a ploy of sorts (whether it is or isn't really is completely irrelevant). I hate to say this (i'm actually cringing while I write it), but maybe it's a test to see how we react to the situation. As physicians, each of us will run into patients on a regular basis who either don't give 2 sh1ts about what we have to say, or who even make every effort possible to treat us like something they just scraped off their shoe earlier that day. At every single interview I had, there was one d1ckhead interviewer. I found the best thing to do was keep smiling, answer their questions, and focus most of my attention on the interviewer showing me the greatest degree of kindness. If there was no such "kind" interviewer, then just keep smiling and create as much conversation as possible. Even if they continue to look bored, don't worry, because I have heard numerous stories of individuals receiving acceptances from schools they had the worst interview experiences. It's very possible that the interviewers were impressed with their ability to roll with the punches, or maybe I'm just full of **** and making this all up. Either way, it's not bad advice.

On a side note, how come no one remarks on my signature?? I think I'm going to post a link that "educates" everyone on where it came from. Speaking of, can anyone explain to me why my signature doesn't appear in all of my posts?? What am I doing wrong exactly?

It'sElectric said:
I also hate when an interviewer takes this stance, but I've just come to assume that it's a ploy of sorts (whether it is or isn't really is completely irrelevant). I hate to say this (i'm actually cringing while I write it), but maybe it's a test to see how we react to the situation. As physicians, each of us will run into patients on a regular basis who either don't give 2 sh1ts about what we have to say, or who even make every effort possible to treat us like something they just scraped off their shoe earlier that day. At every single interview I had, there was one d1ckhead interviewer. I found the best thing to do was keep smiling, answer their questions, and focus most of my attention on the interviewer showing me the greatest degree of kindness. If there was no such "kind" interviewer, then just keep smiling and create as much conversation as possible. Even if they continue to look bored, don't worry, because I have heard numerous stories of individuals receiving acceptances from schools they had the worst interview experiences. It's very possible that the interviewers were impressed with their ability to roll with the punches, or maybe I'm just full of **** and making this all up. Either way, it's not bad advice.

On a side note, how come no one remarks on my signature?? I think I'm going to post a link that "educates" everyone on where it came from. Speaking of, can anyone explain to me why my signature doesn't appear in all of my posts?? What am I doing wrong exactly?

Great post! I agree, you totally have to be relaxed and ready for anything. I interviewed at an MD school and they were very interested in my research (they are a big research school). I felt so much more "at home" for that one. When I got to DMU, I felt like I couldnt be myself because of the schools small research department and the fact that they were drilling me about my research interest. Luckily, I have 2 more interviews at more research oriented DO schools. I think they will be better fits and I will be more relaxed. I just hope they will be accepting of a student who likes research, but really wants to learn the DO philosophy and do manipulative medicine.

Also, I would like to say that DMU is a great school. I has a top-notch OMM program, excellent facilities, and great professors. Anyone who goes there will receive an unbeatable education.

laboholic said:
Great post! I agree, you totally have to be relaxed and ready for anything. I interviewed at an MD school and they were very interested in my research (they are a big research school). I felt so much more "at home" for that one. When I got to DMU, I felt like I couldnt be myself because of the schools small research department and the fact that they were drilling me about my research interest. Luckily, I have 2 more interviews at more research oriented DO schools. I think they will be better fits and I will be more relaxed. I just hope they will be accepting of a student who likes research, but really wants to learn the DO philosophy and do manipulative medicine.

Also, I would like to say that DMU is a great school. I has a top-notch OMM program, excellent facilities, and great professors. Anyone who goes there will receive an unbeatable education.

I just got back from interviewing on 12/9/05. I loved the school and even though it sounds like some of you had a bad experience... I must say that I had an awesome experience. I have interviewed and been accepted at several other schools, but this was by far the best experience that I had. All of my interviewers were very polite, and interested in what I was saying. I got the feeling they really wanted me to come to there school and weren't just trying to weed me out. It has moved up to number one for me! I also found out today that I was accepted
:)

As many others have said the facilities really are the best, but more than that I really liked all of the people there. I also loved Des Moines! In any case I hope that more of you will have better experiences like I had.

Also about research... I got the feeling the school was not that big into research until I went into my interview and the topic came up. I was lucky enough to have one of the Dr.'s involved in reasearch and he told me that they have been increasing their research at the school and that it was actually a lot bigger part of the school than what I was initially led to believe. He told me that it depends on who does the orientation and that some don't really emphasize the research part of it if they don't like reasearch.

Congrats to those who have gotten in... I hope those that were wait listed get in too because it really is an AWESOME school. :)

kumark13 said:
I had a completely different experience with DMU and the interview but still ended up with a bad taste in my mouth about the school. I loved every minute of the day that I was there. The school was amazing and I felt as though it was definitely the school for me. I really liked Des Moines also. Seeing the facillities and meeting so many wonderful people really made the day great. DMU quickly became my top choice during my day there. Then I got to the interview and everything went great. The questions were very straightforward and it was more of a conversation than really a hard hitting question session. I got wonderful feedback from all three interviewers and was sure that I had nailed it. One thing that was made very clear throughout the day was that if you were there for the interview, they already were happy with your grades and MCAT scores. They made a big point of saying that they really just wanted to get to know you and see your personality. I think I showed them this in the interview and made it very clear that DMU would be the perfect fit. The interviewers made me feel like I had just nailed the interview and I felt that I would easily be accepted if I had already made it past my grades and MCAT. Then a week later I got the email telling me I was put on the waitlist. How could that have happened? what would cause an interviewer to tell a person how they seemed to fit so well and then not reccomend them for the school. This really made me feel that the interviewers were being completely fake in the interview and not true to the school and what I felt the school was all about. The other two interviews I have had at other schools did not go nearly as well as it did at DMU and I got acceptances to both of these. Oh well. I guess it is DMU's loss, not mine. I will be a DO wherever I go.

Sorry... I didn't attend the U of Neb so I couldn't have been the student who interviewed you.
One thing that stood out to me in your post is that you said you made it very clear that DMU would be the perfect fit...and this may have been the case to you, but perhaps your interviewers didn't see it the same way? I know I once interviewed someone who continually kept saying.. "I can see myself here next year, DMU seems like the perfect fit for me"... Now, don't get me wrong... stating these things once may be good... but more than once can start to look like you're trying to hard.
AND... to hopefully raise your spirits...just because you're waitlisted...you don't know where you're at on the list... you could be #1 or #2 for all you know!
The other thing to keep in mind is that at this point in the game... applicants need to remember that schools are on rolling admissions... your application/interview are considered relative to all other applicants. Interviewers are playing the game if they are on the fence.. is this the best? Will we see better applicants later on? I hate to be the one to tell you this...but as an applicant (and me, as a former applicant) you know that admissions to medical school is a confusing thing... and there may be no rhyme or reason. Keep your hopes up... you don't know what might happen in the end! Hope this helps.

lars1297 said:
One thing that stood out to me in your post is that you said you made it very clear that DMU would be the perfect fit...and this may have been the case to you, but perhaps your interviewers didn't see it the same way? I know I once interviewed someone who continually kept saying.. "I can see myself here next year, DMU seems like the perfect fit for me"... Now, don't get me wrong... stating these things once may be good... but more than once can start to look like you're trying to hard.

just curious -- what do interviewers look for in terms of a good fit for dmu? what type of person is a good fit? i'm seriously debating attending dmu versus two other schools and am trying to figure out the whole fit thing. what type of person do you think would be happy/success at dmu?

exlawgrrl said:
just curious -- what do interviewers look for in terms of a good fit for dmu? what type of person is a good fit? i'm seriously debating attending dmu versus two other schools and am trying to figure out the whole fit thing. what type of person do you think would be happy/success at dmu?
I think they are looking for ex-law girls. :thumbup: :laugh:

ShyRem said:

So cool about UNE; it's in my home state. It's definitely a good school; some classmates of mine go there and they love it. I've heard that the students are great-- really friendly and laid back. Good luck Shyrem!!

lars1297 said:
I am a student interviewer for DMU and I'm concerned with with the fact that there is ANY negative feedback about interviews at my school. Alot of the comments are vague (and understandably bitter) and include adjectives such as strange, weird, uncomfortable, etc.

Can any of you elaborate on your experiences and give more details? As students, we're concerned about the reputation of DMU and would like to work to correct the situation so the rest of you don't have similar "strange" interview experiences. Any feedback would be helpful... and if you help me, I"ll try to help you with any advice that I can provide. Thanks!

I loved my interview at DMU, it was half the reason I'am choosing to attend DMU for the class of 2006.

exlawgrrl said:

In the same way that you, the applicant, can "have a feeling" about a school... I suppose interviewers could do the same?
I don't have a straight up answer for you...there is no cookie cutter applicant. Its all about variety. What I can tell you is that I know DMU is proud of its students...when I've interviewed with faculty, they have told me more than once that they are so proud of what our student body is like- friendly, helpful to each other, outgoing, HAPPY... the cohesiveness of the student body here is unexplainable. I think that if you've interviewed here you know what I'm referring too... students here are friendly and HAPPY... they know how to study hard but also know how to relax and have fun.

lars1297 said:
In the same way that you, the applicant, can "have a feeling" about a school... I suppose interviewers could do the same?
I don't have a straight up answer for you...there is no cookie cutter applicant. Its all about variety. What I can tell you is that I know DMU is proud of its students...when I've interviewed with faculty, they have told me more than once that they are so proud of what our student body is like- friendly, helpful to each other, outgoing, HAPPY... the cohesiveness of the student body here is unexplainable. I think that if you've interviewed here you know what I'm referring too... students here are friendly and HAPPY... they know how to study hard but also know how to relax and have fun.

DMU rocks!! I put down my initial deposit today.

USArmyDoc said:
DMU rocks!! I put down my initial deposit today.
About freakin time. :smuggrin: ;)
It is going to be a sweet class ladies and gents!! :D