Have you heard of this measure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I have recently read two (terrible) autism assessments by a psychologist who used a measure called the ASSI. He didn’t bother to write out what those initials stand for and I’ve never heard of it. Google doesn’t come up with anything. Anyone have any ideas? What do you know about the measure? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This is the best I could find: Attributional Style Structured Interview, although I don't know if there's actually a specific measure named that. I did see the Attributional Style Questionnaire. Maybe it's based off that...?

Edit: This is the article that mentioned the ASSI

This is the best I could find: Attributional Style Structured Interview, although I don't know if there's actually a specific measure named that. I did see the Attributional Style Questionnaire. Maybe it's based off that...?

Thank you! That makes sense. These reports were truly awful. One of them was for a 2.5 yr old. He gave this ASSI and the Vineland and then dx’d autism and ID!!! The report itself was only two pages long, with a full half page being taken up by a chart of Vineland scores. Psychologists like this do more harm than good. Grrrr!

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! That makes sense. These reports were truly awful. One of them was for a 2.5 yr old. He gave this ASSI and the Vineland and then dx’d autism and ID!!! The report itself was only two pages long, with a full half page being taken up by a chart of Vineland scores. Psychologists like this do more harm than good. Grrrr!
:bang: Awful clinical behavior. In regards to the "ASSI" I have never heard of such a measure, used in the context of an ASD eval or otherwise (and pretty much all I do is assess 2.5 year olds for autism!).

Reactions: 1 user
:bang: Awful clinical behavior. In regards to the "ASSI" I have never heard of such a measure, used in the context of an ASD eval or otherwise (and pretty much all I do is assess 2.5 year olds for autism!).

Thanks for your reply! I looked up the psychologist and he went to an Ivy for UG and Baylor for grad school! I was fully expecting a diploma mill!

While I wouldn't put it past someone who make such an important diagnosis based on questionnaire data, I'm guessing it wasn't this measure or something similar, at least with the 2.5 y.o.- those look like written either written questionnaires or structured interview stuff with language way beyond 30 month level. I'm guessing that the "SSI" in ASSI stands for "social skills inventory" or something like that. There is also a "ASSQ" (Autism Spectrum Screening Questionnaire). It's kinda bad and has questionable discriminatory validity, but it's free online (https://psychology-tools.com/test/autism-spectrum-screening-questionnaire)- in other words, just the kind of think a hack like that would use!

Just curious @Doctor Eliza - does there seem to be any validity to the ASD dx?

While I wouldn't put it past someone who make such an important diagnosis based on questionnaire data, I'm guessing it wasn't this measure or something similar, at least with the 2.5 y.o.- those look like written either written questionnaires or structured interview stuff with language way beyond 30 month level. I'm guessing that the "SSI" in ASSI stands for "social skills inventory" or something like that. There is also a "ASSQ" (Autism Spectrum Screening Questionnaire). It's kinda bad and has questionable discriminatory validity, but it's free online (https://psychology-tools.com/test/autism-spectrum-screening-questionnaire)- in other words, just the kind of think a hack like that would use!

Just curious @Doctor Eliza - does there seem to be any validity to the ASD dx?

Your guess is as good as mine on validity of ASD. There was sooooo little information in the report. There was also no assessment of or discussion of speech/language skills, which I find troubling, particularly with such a young age.

Your guess is as good as mine on validity of ASD. There was sooooo little information in the report. There was also no assessment of or discussion of speech/language skills, which I find troubling, particularly with such a young age.
Sorry- I though you observed/assessed the kiddos yourself.

Yes- speech/language assessment is key at that age- IME, most speech delays are the most common symptom I see, and language disorders are my most common dx other than ASD. Every toddler I see gets an ADOS (to identify presence and nature of ASD symptoms), formal standardized cog and language assessment (to identify or rule out "not better accounted for" dx), a parent rating scale related to ASD symptoms (SRS-2 if old 30+ months, BASC-3 if 24-29 mos, and nothing if under 24 mos 'cause there really is nothing appropriate), and a Vineland-3 (used to see to identify any ability-vs.-use discrepancies, such as with language, as well as to determine extent to which symptoms cause difficulties in day-to-day functioning). Of all those, the Vineland (the only one that your guy actually did!) is the one I could most do without, as far as making a diagnosis is concerned.