Medical Haven't heard back since secondaries. Should I hear back soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to 5 DO schools for the class of 2020 and got secondaries for all of them. At this point I have only heard back about an interview from 2 (both denied an interview). Since the application cycle for the class of 2021 opens again tomorrow and I would like to apply early to bolster my chances, I'm wondering if not hearing back about an interview this late is normal. I saw that the interview cycle for MWU-COM usually runs through April so I emailed them asking if I could set up a meeting with an admissions counselor in case I need to reapply, but they said they cannot discuss anything with me since my application is still under consideration. Should I hear back soon? I feel like I'm being blocked from the opportunity to apply early for this next cycle.
Thanks for any input or clarification!!
The DO cycle is nearly over. If you never received an II, there is something lacking in your app.

The DO cycle is also longer than MD. You could apply as late as Oct/Nov and still be fine.

What were your stats? Did you have a DO LOR? Do shadowing? Any IAs?

Secondaries are often a tax on the hopelessly naive.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied very late in the cycle, but I did receive and complete secondary applications for all of the schools. I just have not heard back about an interview. I did not have a lot of DO specific references but did fix that during my gap year. In addition I have continued working as an EMT and started volunteering with the Red Cross as a Disaster Action Response Team in my county.
I had a 3.29 science GPA and a 508 on my MCAT. I have over 200 hours of volunteering (about 100 hours in the medical field) and about 200 hours of medical shadowing across 7 specialties (1 DO and 6 MD).
Apply early cycle

Yes I understand and I only applied to a few schools because I wanted to get some feedback from them for this cycle. My question remains, is it odd for them to still have my application in consideration for an interview in May?
No. Many med schools will not send rejection notices out until the end of the cycle. It saves them grief from outraged parents and lawyers. Some schools don't even bother sending them out at all, even after the end of the cycle.

You should always consider yourself rejected until you get that accept email in your Inbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.