Havent received my degree certificate. can i write NBDE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_nandana

better 'HOT' than 'COLD'!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone..

i want to write NBDE part 1 this year. But i havent received my degree certificate yet though i have applied for it. Am i eligible to write the exam? Can the ECE evaluation be done without the degree certificate? I do have my provisional certificate.

thanks a lot for your help...

nandana.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes U can get your credentials evaluated by ECE and apply for part 1 without ur degree certificate.

yep. :thumbup: dr Nandana u can go ahead with youe evaluation process even with a provissional degree, and you can sit for your NBDE part 1. You should be needing the original degree certificate only when you wish to apply to the dental schools with your part 1 scores and toefl scores. So there's much to be done before u can actually worry about getting your original degree.

VBR

Members don't see this ad :)
drbask said:
yep. :thumbup: dr Nandana u can go ahead with youe evaluation process even with a provissional degree, and you can sit for your NBDE part 1. You should be needing the original degree certificate only when you wish to apply to the dental schools with your part 1 scores and toefl scores. So there's much to be done before u can actually worry about getting your original degree.

VBR

get going buddy.

drbask said:

VBR
hi
i m mohit doing my 2nd BDS from india and i want to apply for NBDE part 1 this year after my 2nd BDS
could u pls tell me if i can appear for it?
i m eager yo give it

Hi Mohit,

- That was good a question, coz i really do not know the answer.
- But let me ask u some Q's-it is very true that u have to answer Q's related to ur 1st and 2nd BDS subjects except pharmacology in NBDE part1.By the way which college are u from.I'm happy that u are thinking well ahead about ur future.
- To write NBDE - U have to apply to ETS [prometric]
- ETS will ask u to get a authorization letter from ada first
- And to get that as we are foriegn students we have to get our course ( i.e our BDS in India ) evaluated by some institutions here in US, the most common ones being ECE-(education credentials evaluation) and WES- (world education services)
-Thats the first step any indian [read foriegn]dental student/graduate wishing to do dentistry in USA should take.
-NBDE can only be written in USA and Canada. How do u think u can write it if u are in India or do u plan to come over here and write those exams {In the first place u can think of writing the exam IF ECE or WES gives u ur GPA-grade point average and i am not sure :confused: if ECE or WES gives GPA even if u havent completed the course-u have to do some research on that by going to ece/wes websites.}

if u can come up with answers to these Q's or with any other doubts i will further elaborate on it. just fell free to ask any thing, coz only then can u move forward

Remember "INFORMATION is the KEY"
vbr

drbask said:
Hi Mohit,
I beg to differ on that point.
Prometric takes care of the TOEFL. And that, I took after taking up my part 1
They never asked me for any letter from ADA. All I had to do was register myself on the web and take the receipt to the exam centre.
Regarding your question about taking part 1 after 2 yrs, I want to ask you 'why?'
If you want to join a College as an advanced standing student, they will insist on checking out your 4 year's mark card and your degree certificate. Now if you want to join as a fresher instead and do all the years, you don't need part 1. You need to clear DAT .
What you CAN do is to take up part 1 during your internship and save one year.

i have a doubt ajay,
1. will ADA allow anyone to take part 1 with out getting an wes / ece report ? How does one prove to ADA that u are eligiabile to take part 1 with out wes/ece. and 2.putting the matter of joining a dental school aside ( which will ask for a marks certificate /degree ) .If a dental student wishes, can he/she take part 1, with out completing his/her final year.

thanks in advance for ur time.
VBR

hi drbask and ajay..
my sister gave her part 1 when she was in 2nd year.she did send her transcripts to ece but the only diff. is that it had the marks till 2nd year only.and then the usual way as everyone goes.send the app.form to ada and so on.
when she gave her exams she dint have the CBT so she gave the written test in july.
so the bottom line is one can give the exam even if ur in 2nd year cause the subjects u need to know for part1 are already covered in first 2 years..
correct me if I am wrong..
tanuj :luck:

hey ajay..
are u from SDM dharwad denTAL COLLEGE
TANUJ :confused:

Hi guys..
Drbask, I think that you had got Prometrics and ECE/WES mixed up. Prometrics just test your proficiency in English and that can be done when you want to apply to the colleges. Anyways regarding your question, DrTanuj has told us something which we never knew :D Thankx for the info DrTanuj
Boy am I glad that I used the word "Why" and not "Cannot" hehe
But I am still curious why would you want to take up part 1 after 2'nd year. My personal experience tells me that the 3'rd year [read oral pathology] helps a lot in answering many questions. And since you CANNOT apply till you get permanent degree certificate, what's the point? You get one whole year during your internship to prepare for your part 1.
And Drbask, plz don't be so formal yaar. I got all the time in this world. All I am doing right now is working part time and going through each and every page of NYU[going for an interview :p}
Drtanuj, yeah am from SDMCDS ..err you too?

hey ajay..
no I am from bvp pune.but I guess I met u in a college fest i dy patil,mumbai.long time ago when I was in 2nd year and u probably in 3rd.
but I have been to sdm a couple of times.I had fren's in that coll..doing their PG.
and now about my sister taking the exam in 2nd year,she had come to US with family and so she just took the exam to see wat it is exactly.
P.S- well....I remember u were a great singer :laugh:
take care
tanuj

drbask said:
Hi Mohit,

- That was good a question, coz i really do not know the answer.
- But let me ask u some Q's-it is very true that u have to answer Q's related to ur 1st and 2nd BDS subjects except pharmacology in NBDE part1.By the way which college are u from.I'm happy that u are thinking well ahead about ur future.
- And to get that as we are foriegn students we have to get our course ( i.e our BDS in India ) evaluated by some institutions here in US, the most common ones being ECE-(education credentials evaluation) and WES- (world education services)
-Thats the first step any indian [read foriegn]dental student/graduate wishing to do dentistry in USA should take.
-NBDE can only be written in USA and Canada. How do u think u can write it if u are in India or do u plan to come over here and write those exams {In the first place u can think of writing the exam IF ECE or WES gives u ur GPA-grade point average and i am not sure :confused: if ECE or WES gives GPA even if u havent completed the course-u have to do some research on that by going to ece/wes websites.}

if u can come up with answers to these Q's or with any other doubts i will further elaborate on it. just fell free to ask any thing, coz only then can u move forward

Remember "INFORMATION is the KEY"
vbr

hi...
i think u guys are a little mixed up... to clear the confusion.
im not sure whether u can give ure exam i.e. part1 after 2nd BDS.. confirm with ECE .
ADA needs ECE general report to allow u to sit for the exam . ECE needs a list of documents like mark sheets, degree syllabus etc...
if u want to give CBT which is offered only in US and canada , u have to apply to ADA and then they send a confirmation to prometric to let u giev the exam , u then have to call up prometric and register ,
prometric conducts TOEFL too but for that u can apply directly to prometric .
hope this helps..
toothie