Haven't seen an A in med school yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSky

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to complete my first year of med school in what I'm estimating is the third quartile, with a healthy smattering of B's and B+'s. This is depressing me. Will I get into a halfway decent residency? I want to go into IM or peds, and I would like a residency in a respectable location, not in the middle of nowhere. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm about to complete my first year of med school in what I'm estimating is the third quartile, with a healthy smattering of B's and B+'s. This is depressing me. Will I get into a halfway decent residency? I want to go into IM or peds, and I would like a residency in a respectable location, not in the middle of nowhere. Thoughts?

I'd say your prospects of getting a peds or im residency are fine. Your prospects for getting laid? Not looking good.

Haha thanks. Anyone else? Is anyone else in the same or similar boat? Can anyone tell me some stuff to make me feel less depressed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Peds or IM are easy to get into b/c there are so many slots, as well as the low competition for those. Thus, as long as you don't fail any classes or your boards, you will have plenty of residency programs to choose from in those specialties. If OTOH, you decide to switch to derm, that would be more difficult:luck:

As hard as they are to earn at the time, first and second year grades don't really matter that much. Unless if you fail of course or they are so high they bump you into AOA. Third year grades are much more important.

As hard as they are to earn at the time, first and second year grades don't really matter that much. Unless if you fail of course or they are so high they bump you into AOA. Third year grades are much more important.

Yup. 3rd year grades are more important, as are LOR's. Trying your best on your exams is all you can/should ask for during the 1st 2 years (obviously). Remember that your medical school class probably consists of mostly highly motivated people who did well in prior education levels.

I'm about average in every one of my classes as the first year draws to a close. On all the exams, i'm usually within 1 standard deviation above or below the mean. I'm probably the most mediocre person in medschool lol. A little depressing I guess but i'll get over it. :thumbup:

I'm about average in every one of my classes as the first year draws to a close. On all the exams, i'm usually within 1 standard deviation above or below the mean. I'm probably the most mediocre person in medschool lol. A little depressing I guess but i'll get over it. :thumbup:

Most mediocre person in med school is still quite an accomplishment went generalized, you know, outside of med school.

Most mediocre person in med school is still quite an accomplishment went generalized, you know, outside of med school.

so true - don't put yourself down. everyone can't be number 1. be persistent and good luck for boards next year. :)

I got P/F for the first 2 years of school. As far as PD's know, I got 71%'s on all my exams. Knowing this, I think it looks good if you get all A's first two years, but I don't think getting mostly B's necessarily hurts you.

I am also coming to the close of first year and have found it impossible to get anything better than a C in my core classes. The clinical skills and physh classes have been A's and B's but I am still so frustrated. Tried multiple study methods, going to class not going to class, still 75-80 best I can do. Oh well Guess I am just a C student. Hope the ER will still take me one day.

No disrespect to OP, but I don't get the people stressing about grades(I could just be bitter because I'm making B's as well I don't know:p). But I mean it's such a subjective thing, our school doesn't even give letter grades, but pass, HighPass and Honor. The margins for those grades are ******ed (I get the same grade in my neuro class for getting a 84 as the kid who gets a 65 =just plain pass). I think the general consensus from everyone in the higher levels is don't fail your classes, do well on step I and 3rd year. If you get AOA great, if not, lighten up and get a beer.

I got P/F for the first 2 years of school. As far as PD's know, I got 71%'s on all my exams. Knowing this, I think it looks good if you get all A's first two years, but I don't think getting mostly B's necessarily hurts you.

word. I'm in the P/F system too. I'd hate to think that only those .5% with oustanding grades are the only ones to get into their choice specialty.

I am also coming to the close of first year and have found it impossible to get anything better than a C in my core classes. The clinical skills and physh classes have been A's and B's but I am still so frustrated. Tried multiple study methods, going to class not going to class, still 75-80 best I can do. Oh well Guess I am just a C student. Hope the ER will still take me one day.

ok, remind me to never go to St Mary's ER. :scared: (kidding)