SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Haven't taken anatomy.. what should I do?

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by sashagrl259, May 13, 2008.

1. sashagrl259

sashagrl259 5+ Year Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I haven't yet taken General Anatomy and Physiology, but I have taken General Biology. I want to take the PCATs this August, and I am starting to study for the PCATs very soon - any suggestions on what I should study to make up for this? Any books?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Farcus

Farcus 10+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2007
    My Bed
    if you did a search you'd have known that anatomy isn't required...
  4. samfromVA

samfromVA 5+ Year Member

Aug 18, 2007
    I would not take it that way. There will be questions from Anatomy &Phy, but I would suggest u to look at the outlines provided by Pcat web site on what things that you would need for the exam.

There is a point though, that u don't need to completely know Ana &Phy coz you get required information from regular Biology books. I am talking about Embryo info, Joints info, Organ system info and infos' like that.

What I would also say is that, you look into only things that u might not know or you think are important. Still, you have enough time to start now and finish by Aug. Best of luck!!!

Mine is on June.
  5. PharmApp2008

PharmApp2008 2+ Year Member

Mar 9, 2008
    I thought the test was heavy on Physiology!! I suggest getting the Schaums Outlines for any subjects that you need a crash course on. They are really helpful books!
  6. Farcus

Farcus 10+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2007
    My Bed
    ehh what? What test are you guys talking about...
  7. omnione

omnione SDN Pharmoderator Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

General anatomy and physiology is tested on the PCAT. However, the questions will not be nearly as in-depth as the courses treat the topics. Taking those courses will help, but not absolutely necessary IMO if you can get a good anatomy & physiology review guide.

Many of the questions I encountered tested basic knowledge. That was two years ago though.
  8. ffpickle

ffpickle Thread Killer 2+ Year Member

May 7, 2008
    The breakdown for Bio, according to the Candidate Info Booklet is:

20% Anatomy&Phys
    20% Microbio
    60% General Bio

You should be prepared for all above areas with a PCAT prep book such as Kaplan but you may also want to purchase an MCAT book for Biology which tend to be excellent (albeit, detailed) for learning Physiology
  9. kygal20006

kygal20006 7+ Year Member

Nov 18, 2007
    In my opinion taking anatomy and phys really helped me on the PCAT
  10. laimyours

laimyours like my hat? 7+ Year Member

Dec 1, 2006
    New York, NY
    I took the PCAT before taking physiology, have yet to take anatomy. I had taken a year of Gen Bio, and Cell Bio. I scored in the 90s. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I just used the Kaplan book to study.