Haven't taken any ochem yet, apply this year or wait until next??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grubb

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have not taken OChem yet but plan to take OChem I in the Fall and II in the Spring. Should I try to apply to enter D-school in 2004 or am I wasting my time? I fear that schools will not take my application seriously until they see my OChem grades, what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Go for it?
The DAT is going to be tough but it is doable.
Good luck.

Hey Grubb:

I know exactly what you are feeling. I sent you a Private Message. PM me back if you have more questions.

DesiDentist

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Grubb,
Definitely apply this year! I only take one biology course at the time I submit the application and plan to take four more fefore I marticulate. I asked many (about 20) dental schools and ALL of them said that is fine as long as I finish all the requirements before register. So, don't worry too much. If you want to make sure, email your question to the dental schools that you are most interested in. I will apply for 2004 admission, too!:)

You have a great question. If it were talking about any other classes, I would tell you to go for it. But OChem is different. Since you wouldn't be taking O-Chem until the fall, it would be hard to do well in the OChem section of the DAT. I think you would need that foundation before you can take the DAT. If you plan on applying for the fall of 2004 you would need to take your DAT no later than November this year (admissions people really want that asap).

I would advice you to take OChem over the summer. Study for the DAT at the same time and take the test at the end of the summer. If you don't like your scores you can take it 3 months later and still be able to apply for fall 2004. Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies and support! I would take my OChem series this summer but my schedule won't allow it, therefore I am stuck with the Fall and Spring semesters.

So, say I go ahead and apply for 2004 and take the DAT later in the Fall semester (just so I will have some OChem exposure). When and how do I submit my OChem scores? Is it as simple as sending them an updated transcript or what? Has anyone been through this that can shed some light?

Is it not true that I will be overlooked or set a side, so to speak, until they see what I can do with OChem?

Thanks.

I would suggest taking the DAT at the end of the summer (no later than mid September) because you have to wait 90 days to retake the DAT if you blow it or blow one section? You then can retake the DAT in December/early January, which puts you in the hunt for the second round. If you take the DAT in late fall, first round interviews will be in full swing and you might miss out on the first round. You will then be able to retake the DAT again in Feb, which put you in the third round, and the classes are pretty full in March. The first time I took the DAT (last September) I got a 15 on the Ochem section because I was in your same situation? I retook it in January and scored a 17 after my Community College Ochem I class. You will have to work hard but you can do it. You can look at it this way? a monkey can get statistically 25% correct? so all you have to do is beat the monkey :rolleyes: