This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girlyMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT: N/A
cGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.8

Medical volunteer hours: ~150
Other volunteer hours: ~100
Shadowing: 12
Research: 0

I work both as a tutor and as a desk assistant for ~20 hours per week. I've played the violin for 11 years. I'm a psychology major with minors in chemistry and biology, if that's relevant. I plan on applying to both DO and MD in about a year. Just looking for some advice on where I can improve.

Members don't see this ad.

You need at least another 50 shadowing hours in more than one specialty. If you can score at least 508 on the MCAT you have a chance for some MD schools and that score would be good for all DO schools. A MCAT of at least 500 would be fine for some DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stats are great; ECs are barest minimum.

MCAT: N/A
cGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.8

Medical volunteer hours: ~150
Other volunteer hours: ~100
Shadowing: 12
Research: 0

I work both as a tutor and as a desk assistant for ~20 hours per week. I've played the violin for 11 years. I'm a psychology major with minors in chemistry and biology, if that's relevant. I plan on applying to both DO and MD in about a year. Just looking for some advice on where I can improve.

If you can, I recommend getting involved in some form of research. While not every accepted applicant to every MD or DO school has research, most successful applicants have some form of research experience. It would benefit your application to explore research, bolster your volunteering (try and get above 200 hrs in both clinical and non-clinical), and increase your shadowing.

The MCAT can make or break your application, so make sure you give yourself ample time to study for it and make sure you only take it when you're scoring consistently well on practice exams.

PM me if you have any questions, good luck! :)