having a bachelors versus only 90 credits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheikha9

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading up on a couple dental schools' requirements for admission and noticed that UMDNJ, Temple, and my state school UMD-Baltimore all don't require you to have a bachelor's degree. I noticed that they all said that a bachelor's would be preferred but as long as you take the pre-req's you can apply to dental school having 90 credits.

So what do you guys think about applying after I have 90 credits? I'm already a year ahead because of AP classes, so instead of being a freshman right now I have sophmore standing, and it wouldn't be hard for me to finish all my pre-req's within the next year by the time I have 90 credits. ALSO...my GPA is only a 3.3 with a sci GPA of 3.42...(considering the fact that I've only been here one semester) I'll start working for a dentist in a couple weeks but havent taken the DAT.

I could take the DAT this summer and apply to dental schools for 2006. Would dental schools look down on me because I finished all my pre-dental req's within two years of undergraduate? Is my age an issue, if I apply now, I'd only be 21 going into dental school? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

sheikha9 said:
I was reading up on a couple dental schools' requirements for admission and noticed that UMDNJ, Temple, and my state school UMD-Baltimore all don't require you to have a bachelor's degree. I noticed that they all said that a bachelor's would be preferred but as long as you take the pre-req's you can apply to dental school having 90 credits.

So what do you guys think about applying after I have 90 credits? I'm already a year ahead because of AP classes, so instead of being a freshman right now I have sophmore standing, and it wouldn't be hard for me to finish all my pre-req's within the next year by the time I have 90 credits. ALSO...my GPA is only a 3.3 with a sci GPA of 3.42...(considering the fact that I've only been here one semester) I'll start working for a dentist in a couple weeks but havent taken the DAT.

I could take the DAT this summer and apply to dental schools for 2006. Would dental schools look down on me because I finished all my pre-dental req's within two years of undergraduate? Is my age an issue, if I apply now, I'd only be 21 going into dental school? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

you most certainlly can apply if you've taken the pre-reqs and have over 90 units. However it's just very hard to get in without your bachelors, sure people do it, but you really have to be a top-notch applicant. Take the DAT and go from there.

Age shouldn't matter. Many applicants are about 21-22 when they begin school.

Members don't see this ad :)
reLAXgirl said:
Age shouldn't matter. Many applicants are about 21-22 when they begin school.

Not true...the average age is 24-25, but that doesnt mean they will "look down" on anyone for being young. If you have the stats, then you could be 15 and they wouldnt care (that might be stretching it a bit but you get the idea).

If they do question you with the age thing (which they wouldnt come out and say anything to you over the phone), thats what the interview invite is for, most schools dont directly admit students w/o an interview (with a few exceptions). When you go to the interview they will be able to figure out if you are mature or not. To the OP make sure to apply: If you dont get in (assuming a good DAT) this time around you are almost a shoe-in for getting in after completion of your 3rd year in undergrad (which by the way is still earlier than most people (i.e. your second try). A lot of people on this forum struggle to get in 2-3 even 7 years after graduating so consider yourself lucky (or prepared) that you have an opportunity to get in at age 21. On the flipside there are some on here who are 18-19 and who got in...not sure how they did it (I guess they graduated high school early and did the 2-3 year college BS/DDS programs). I wouldnt take it personally if you didnt get in this year...some admission committees will want you to take another year of classes in undergrad to become a more "seasoned" student and more mature person. Good luck!

sheikha9, I will be entering D-school this fall and I just turned 21 last thursday. Like you, I had a ton of AP credit and did only 3 yrs undergrad before D-school. Unlike you, I went summers and will have completed my degree. As long as you make yourself look well rounded and "seasoned" there should be no problem. My age or having only 3 yrs of undergrad was not brought up in either of my interviews (UW and Pacific). I did however, write some stuff in my personal statement that conveyed the idea that although I am younger than most, I am prepared to face D-school and brought up some examples that illustrated my point. Good luck to you, I think you should go for it if that's what you want!