Quantcast

Having a degree and applying for Pharm school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StreetPharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I understand most, if not all the programs are 6 years but you can only transfer into them, while you are still taking classes. What do I need to do if I have a degree and want to pursue the pharmacy career? I've been confused about this for a long time.

jake7

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't go to pharmacy school! The profession does not need you. If you can't find the answers to the simple questions you posted than there is no way you would ever make it through pharmacy school. Just for the record - you can get into pharmacy school with a degree and simple glance at any pharmacy school website would have provided that information for you. How serious are you about applying if you couldn't even do that?

oakland_raiders

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't go to pharmacy school! The profession does not need you. If you can't find the answers to the simple questions you posted than there is no way you would ever make it through pharmacy school. Just for the record - you can get into pharmacy school with a degree and simple glance at any pharmacy school website would have provided that information for you. How serious are you about applying if you couldn't even do that?

stop being an ass.

to answer the op- you can apply to a school's pre-pharmacy program and it is typically 2 years. during those two years you basically complete all the pre-reqs for that program. depending on the pharmacy school, you will either be accepted automatically or given special consideration for completing that specific pharmacy school's pre-pharmacy program (typically around 25% of an incoming pharmacy school class may be from that school's pre-pharm program). this is intended for people who do not already have a degree. if you already have a degree, then you should complete your prerequisites as quickly as possible and apply as a professional student.

StreetPharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
to answer the op- you can apply to a school's pre-pharmacy program and it is typically 2 years. during those two years you basically complete all the pre-reqs for that program. depending on the pharmacy school, you will either be accepted automatically or given special consideration for completing that specific pharmacy school's pre-pharmacy program (typically around 25% of an incoming pharmacy school class may be from that school's pre-pharm program). this is intended for people who do not already have a degree. if you already have a degree, then you should complete your prerequisites as quickly as possible and apply as a professional student.

Ah yes, that makes sense. I've been looking at ACP (U of Albany) and they have a 3 year accelerated program. They don't require you to take the PCats, have LORs or have interviews. Are schools like this easier or harder to get into? Sounds like it would be harder.

aboveliquidice

No sacrifice - No victory
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ah yes, that makes sense. I've been looking at ACP (U of Albany) and they have a 3 year accelerated program. They don't require you to take the PCats, have LORs or have interviews. Are schools like this easier or harder to get into? Sounds like it would be harder.

Albany is one of the most difficult schools to be admitted to. Just so you know, most 0+6 programs are designed for incoming freshmen w/o extensive college experience. Typically, they are not open to students currently holding a BA/BS. Having a BA/BS makes you more competitive for a lot of Pharm programs - you should focus and getting all of your pre reqs done, and then applying for a 3 or 4 yr pharmD.

~above~

PharmMnM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so if I don't currently hold a BA/BS degree but have finished my prereqs, which program/school should I apply to? I want to apply as a transfer student into the 3rd year, or P1.

michele_107

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so if I don't currently hold a BA/BS degree but have finished my prereqs, which program/school should I apply to? I want to apply as a transfer student into the 3rd year, or P1.

Go to the Pharmcas website, it tells what each school requires. Not all schools are 0+6, most aren't.

aboveliquidice

No sacrifice - No victory
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Actually - a lot of students fall into your category. Most people are applying to pharm school with just the pre reqs done. By having a BS, your GPA is more legitimet - Im not exactly sure where you would find a comprehensive list of schools that are open to transfer. It might be best to start hunting down which schools fit you - and then research each school individually on SDN/pharmcas. I started w/ SDN back in April of this year, wanting to apply to all 4 florida schools. Since then, I have decided not to apply to PBA and FAMU (FAMU is 0+6 that usually only accepts internal students). I also learned that Florida now has a LECOM campus in Bradenton FL - so you just have to keep up with it. To be honest with you. My favorite school isnt even accredited - and is on the other side of the country. I would not have known about the school if it were not for my research on SDN. Hope that helps.

~above~

PharmDKD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of people have been talking about the LECOM branch in Florida, how do you apply to it? And does it have a website?