having a dental professor published a paper on Nature help alot?

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 22, 2004
Status
Hello guys,

I need to take a course where I am required to conduct a research project under the supervision of a professor since it is required for my undergrad program. I have two professors to choose from.

On of professor is a practicing dentist. But she is also a cranofacial biologist at the same time. Although she hasn't published too many papers, she published a paper in the Nature's magazine few years ago. So, I am assuming she is well known in the dental field.

Another professor is a pure researcher working on bone reabsorption. Although he is not well known in the dental field, he is well known in the biochemistry field.

Do you think having a dental professor that published a paper on Nature would help me GREATLY with my dental application? I like both projects and must do one of them to complete my degree. So, my determination factor is this. My current GPA is 3.26, so I need other things to make up bad grades.

Just wanna to hear your thoughts. Thanks

LIer2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2005
Status
Dentist
No.

You should just go with the opportunity that brings you the most chance to publish. Besides, your GPA is ok, as long as your DAT is solid.

reapply2007

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2006
Status
Dental Student
I'd try to meet with other members of the research groups then sit down with both professors and figure out if you can deal with the type of work required and the professors managerial styles. Ultimately, you'll need an LOR from whoever you choose. In your meeting with the professors you should be up front and tell them you are excited in the work and in the area of research but ultimately you are applying to dental school and will need a strong letter of recommendation, challenging work, and any opportunity to co-author, present, or publish a paper in your time with the research group. If they agree and you can live with their managerial style then go ahead. Do not work for someone that will ultimately not help you out on your dental app.

OP
S

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 22, 2004
Status
thanks for the replies. I am sure most ppl in the cranofacial lab will help me succeed in getting in dental school since some of them are ex-dentists. The reason that I would perfer cranofacial lab is that I can talk about researches more related to oral health during my interview. Do you guys actually get a chance to talk about your research projects during the interviews?

Well, I think my 3.26 GPA is pretty low for most private schools except NYU and Boston given that I am a Canadian eh. :p

About the Ads