having a dentist family member

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metalbug

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do not understand why somepeople even mention having a dentist father or any close relatives when asking for the chance to get into the school.

if there is a person here who think that this will give advantage, please tell me so.

I mean is this even worth mentioning during the interview?

Members don't see this ad.

It does help for some schools.

For example, if one of your family members attended UOP school of dentistry then you will have a better shot than those who do not.

I think that it really helps. It shows that you know what you're getting yourself into, something that many pre-dents don't truly think about beforehand. Plus it gives you a good reason to choose dentistry..being inspired by your family member etc. It's also nice from the perspective of the school to help carry on family tradition. I'd say at least over half the people in my class have family members who are dentists.

Members don't see this ad :)
just like a legacy with undergrad, it really does help

It could help, most of the time it doesn't sway them in either direction. It's about you as an applicant, having dentists in the family does not reflect on how your performance is going to be.

Why wouldn't it help? It shows that you've been exposed to dentistry your entire life. You're going to be more aware of the direct pros and cons of dentistry. Would it make or break you...absolutely not. But it does add into the entire equation of you the applicant and definitely shows that you know a lot about the dental profession.

Why wouldn't it help? It shows that you've been exposed to dentistry your entire life. You're going to be more aware of the direct pros and cons of dentistry. Would it make or break you...absolutely not. But it does add into the entire equation of you the applicant and definitely shows that you know a lot about the dental profession.

+1

If its a direct family member especially mother or father i think it helps alot for some schools. It doesnt mean its guaranteed passage into the school because of this but it definitely shows them that you know the ugly side of dentistry as well as the good side. They know you know that you know (lol) how much hard work and dedication it actually requires. This topic has actually been brought up in 3 of my interviews

What exactly did they ask you in your interviews regarding dentist family members? I assumed it could/would be an interview topic but I was just interested as to how they brought it up. I have three uncles who are dentists (all alum of the same dental school) and a cousin who is a D1 at the same school. The way i look at it...I'm not sure it will help, but it definitely can't hurt.

What exactly did they ask you in your interviews regarding dentist family members? I assumed it could/would be an interview topic but I was just interested as to how they brought it up. I have three uncles who are dentists (all alum of the same dental school) and a cousin who is a D1 at the same school. The way i look at it...I'm not sure it will help, but it definitely can't hurt.

the schools just were like "oh i see ur father is a dentist, what have you learned about it...so you really know what your getting into, thats a good thing" and then we just spun a conversation about it and how i grew up in the dental field and am comfortable around it.

At the most basic level, if it did not help im SOME minute way, would they really bother to even ask?

Of course it helps, probably a great deal. Schools want to know you really want to be a dentist, having a dentist family member shows that you are educated in regards to dentistry and have a support network. Furthermore, schools are often run by guys/gals in their late forties to late fifties...the prime age to have a 22-26 year old child or to have graduated with someone who does. You would be surprised at how many of your classmates parents went to school with your professors...