Having a family and going to private school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

velouria

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I posted this in the spouses forum, but it's getting no views.

I would really really like to know how people support a family on financial aid. I'll be going to a private school, the loan money is already sky-high, and I don't see how we can possibly pay our bills. I have 2 young kids and a husband who would ideally like to be a stay-at-home dad. I know other people have done it....but how???

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a similar situation. I think they assume that your husband would go to work and that you would put the children in day care. You should write an estimate to the financial aid office, explaining the situation and comparing the two situations, stay at home daddy vs. husband goes to work and children in day care. Usually day care is fairly expensive, so in general what your husband makes (unless he has a really great job), would go to day care. So you would still have to have a loan for living expenses for the 4 of you.
I can tell you right now, day care on the west coast for 2 kids is 2000 a month, in the midwest about 1200 a month.

Good luck,

Fritz.

The school I am going to is private and there is quite a bit of allowance for everyday living expenses like rent, food, etc...also we can request additional funds for daycare. If your hubby is not going to work you will have to live with very little though...can ge work at least part time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Financial aid generally does not budget for a spouse who is not working. You could probably cover some of the expenses by being frugal with your own room & board and transportation budget, and anything that might be included for your kids. Health insurance for your spouse would probably be the biggest problem. Perhaps you could get a budget extension for daycare expenses, and use that as your stay-at-home husband's "stipend" to cover his individual expenses like health insurance.

My experience is this: you can get childcare allowance, which can go for childcare or can go for the spouse who stays at home. Because what happens is this: what your husband makes will definetly go to childcare, for 2 children, even conservative estimate, childcare will cost you 1000 a month. Out of 1000 a month you can live comfortably with 2 children if your spouse does not work. So either way you get childcare allowance, depends a lot how you use it.
Also, if your husband was not employed for a while, you may simply qualify for an exception. In this economy, where 1000s of people are without jobs it is simply ridiculous for the medical schools to absolutely require that your husband work, when he can't find a job anywhere.
Talk to the financial aid office, explain them the situation and run numbers on paper, see what the bottom line is and look at the alternatives.

Good luck,

Fritz.

Hi, I am starting school at Georgetown and my husband is looking for a part-time job so that my daughter doesn't have to be in daycare all day. DC is expensive, but life is expensive so I guess you have to prioritize. We are looking for cheaper housing in VA and a job that is primarily evenings and weekends. I don't think you can get more idealistic :) , but if you don't try you never know if something will work. It's nice to know that I am not the only one with my head in the clouds :)