Having a family while working on MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twotrees23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen plenty of posts on the medical student forums about when is the best time to have a baby, but my question is for the MD/PhD student. Since it requires many more years of study, when would the best time to have kids? Also, for anyone who had children, do you feel that you were able to spend enough time with them? My mother made significant sacrifices to be with me almost 24/7 while I was growing up, and while I know that my ambitions for a MD/PhD won't allow me all the time in the world, will I regret the time spent studying or in the lab and not with my child? Or will it be worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

There is never a good time. There is only "not the worst" time. Clinical clerk ships and early residency are the worst times.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have a nice PI PhD time would be ideal

Members don't see this ad :)
All of the students in our program who have had kids did it after they took USMLE Step 1 during the beginning of PhD phase. The PhD at least allows you to have flexibility to be there for the early part of life. There is a lot of reading of literature that needs to be done so you can do that at home, maybe write a training grant or a publication if you have data. Clinical rotations and residency... not so much.

Or you could freeze some eggs? A bit unorthodox but I've heard of female physicians doing that. This is the 21st century after all...