Having a hard time adjusting to class..any tips would be great

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGoodLife570

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my fourth year of college, working on finishing my business degree. Last semester I took Chemistry 1 and got a 4.0, this semester i'm taking Chem 2 and bio 2 along with 2 business classes. My first Chem 2 test I earned a 90, but my first bio test I earned a 70 and I am taking my lab quiz tomorrow. I do not feel prepared for it but I am doing my best to earn the highest grade I can.

The biology is plant and I am having a hard time comparing stuff like dinoflagellates to eubacteria or mosses to ferns. It doesn't help that I don't find this subject interesting and also that this is the first bio class I have taken since a non-science major class freshman year.

The average for the first test was a 72, but 13% of students did earn above a 92 and I want to be in that rank for the next test.

If anyone can offer tips to structure my way of studying towards a class such as this, I would really appreciate it!

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Plant bio was pretty boring to me, but you suck it up and go with it. Lie to yourself about it being interesting, if you have to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in my fourth year of college, working on finishing my business degree. Last semester I took Chemistry 1 and got a 4.0, this semester i'm taking Chem 2 and bio 2 along with 2 business classes. My first Chem 2 test I earned a 90, but my first bio test I earned a 70 and I am taking my lab quiz tomorrow. I do not feel prepared for it but I am doing my best to earn the highest grade I can.

The biology is plant and I am having a hard time comparing stuff like dinoflagellates to eubacteria or mosses to ferns. It doesn't help that I don't find this subject interesting and also that this is the first bio class I have taken since a non-science major class freshman year.

The average for the first test was a 72, but 13% of students did earn above a 92 and I want to be in that rank for the next test.

If anyone can offer tips to structure my way of studying towards a class such as this, I would really appreciate it!

Thank You

Dinoflagellates and eubacteria aren't plants ;p. I do have a suggestion though: pre-read, don't take notes in lecture, just try to understand concepts..then read again. Then I'd suggest using mastering bio for your textbook and doing all the tests over and over. It's just information you need to hammer in, then forget it later.

Dinoflagellates and eubacteria aren't plants ;p. I do have a suggestion though: pre-read, don't take notes in lecture, just try to understand concepts..then read again. Then I'd suggest using mastering bio for your textbook and doing all the tests over and over. It's just information you need to hammer in, then forget it later.

haha, I understood that much...all was covered on 1st exam. The rest of the exams are all plant based...Thank you for the tips!

I'm currently stumbling through the same stuff :eyebrow:
I have to force myself to read before class, then review the material again after.
It's so hard to try to care about this stuff! Let's get to the dissections already!
Good luck!

Thank You