Having a hard time deciding which school is right for me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agb2782

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, hope everyone is doing well. I just got a waitlist letter from Iowa, so my options are now down to UIC and SIU. I'm from Illinois, and was hoping to make up my mind and place a deposit by the end of the week. I think that both schools have some positives and drawbacks, and more than anything I was looking for some outside perspective or opinions that could help me think about this problem in a new light.

I think that UIC has a lot to offer-- it's in Chicago, which is right next to my hometown. I would be amazing to live in the city. I was impressed with the professors and had a pleasant time on my interview. Although the curriculum is now switched to a project-based learning style, I think that could work with my personality. This may be unfounded (I haven't been able to find data anywhere), but I heard that I stand a better chance of specializing attending UIC than SIU. However, having not even started dental school, I don't know if specializing would even be for me! The downsides of UIC are the cost, and the facilities (from what I've heard). Although the facilities seemed nice enough on my interview day, I've heard they are quite archaic and doing simple procedures is greatly complicated by them. The cost is 80K more than SIU for four years, and the tuition seems like it's not going to stop increasing anytime soon.

As for Southern, I really didn't like the town of Alton. However, I was on a bad-weather day, and I attended undergraduate in a similar small town in Missouri, so I think I could adjust really easily. It seemed like the facilities were pretty nice. I was impressed with the SIM lab, but the students made it seem like having to schedule your own patients was a big pain in the ass. The cheaper price is good-- being able to only spend 225Kish for four years seems like a good deal. I know they have a good clinical reputation. They told me that they place almost no emphasis on research, and I'm somewhat concerned that attending SIU would shut doors on myself later in life-- is the 80K saved now worth costing myself a chance at specializing?

Right now, I feel as if I'm making a decision based on imperfect information. If anyone is a current student at either school, I would love to ask some questions. Thank you for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

I would read your post and see that you listed negatives first for southern and positives first for UIC. But you may want to post in the dental forum if you are trying to get info from people who went/go to these schools.

My vote is for southern. If you can deal with the small town feel, you should be okay. You can specialize anywhere you go if you try hard enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think UIC will give you any noticeable "better chance" at specializing. Outside the realm of Columbia, UPenn, Harvard, UCLA, UCSF, the name of the school is not very indicative of the specialization rate. Better indicators are class rank, externships, LORs, and exposure to the field.

I am a big advocate for price.... 80K is a ton of money, and when you add compounded interest your looking more at 110K. If SIU has a strong clinical reputation, has nice facilitates, and saves you tons of money... go there!

Save the $80k and go to SIU, your wallet will thank you later. Alton is pretty boring but you won't be there your whole life, and the students do get a lot of clinical experience.

I think that over the course of the last few days, I've gotten closer to leaning towards SIU. I'm chatting with a recent graduate who went to Southern over the weekend, and if he says he had a positive experience, I think that should seal the deal to send in the deposit on Monday. As far as the dental school education goes, I don't perceive much difference between UIC and SIU, and I think that I will thank myself later when I have much less debt later on down the road. I don't know happy my girlfriend is going to be about the decision (she wants to go back to graduate school for nurse anesthetist, and claims the programs are better in Chicago), but she is originally from STL, so I think she'll survive.

It's a big decision, and I don't know right now where I'd be happiest. Odds are, I'll be happy no matter where I go once I acclimate to the location. Thanks for the responses.

When are the deposit deadlines for both schools?

I think that I have about two more weeks for each, give or take a few days. Got in a couple weeks ago to both.