Having a job during Graduate School.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDPT78

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be staring the DPT graduate school program this summer and wanted to receive some feedback from current/former students on whether having a job is manageable. If it is, how many hours would one suggest? I am not used to having to take out loans and not having some sort of income because I was very fortunate to have an athletic scholarship throughout my years in undergrad, so I am very anxious about the cost of graduate school. Any and all advice when it comes to holding a job during grad school as well as loans/scholarships will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't recommend it. Some students at my school have on-site jobs, such as monitoring a classroom at night or conducting tours for perspective students. Nobody works more than 10 hours a week. Of course, our longest break is three weeks at Christmas and we don't have summer breaks like undergraduate school. If you can find a seasonal job in the summer, and in the summer only, that's less than 15 hours a week, then you could do it. But definitely don't work during school. You're in grad school now and you need to be 100% focused on school. The money you do earn will buy you gas and food, but won't pay for a fraction of your tuition.

Kevin

It's doable--for certain people. However, like the last poster said, not more than 10 hours. I worked my first 2 semesters of PT school and did great. However, I had to stop in the summer where a 4-4.5 month semester was crammed into roughly 2 months, so I didn't have any time.

The money you get from the job you're working will be for paying day-to-day expenses, e.g. gas, grocery, food, maybe a little something now and then.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have a paramedic in our PTII class that does 1-2 shifts a week but he's a pretty quick learner and takes the time off for finals. I would have been released from my program for unsat grades if I worked, personally.

I waitress 1-2 days a week, which pays for gas and food. It is a huge help to my boyfriend, since he is paying all other expenses and I get the satisfaction of feeling like I'm contributing a little bit. Yes, it's not going to pay for tuition, but in my case, I make about 500 a month, conservative estimate, and imagine if I had to take that out with interest at 6.8%? Every little bit helps. You just have to use your time wisely. I also enjoy it because I have worked at the same restaurant for 6 years and I get to see friends I would not otherwise see.

I think you have more time in school if you manage your time and don't waste it than people will tell you. For example, I am still able to ride my bike or skate ski for 2 hours a day and get all my work done. It's all about priorities.

It really is an individual thing. I worked the entire time I was in PT school, ranging from 5-20+ hours per week. It's in my personality that I felt like I had to work, and I made it through to graduate. And I never felt too guilty going to buy another coffee without asking my husband for money!

Maybe start out school and feel things out first. You really won't know until you get into the routine whether you think you will be able to handle a job or not.

Maybe start out school and feel things out first.

^This.

Give school a couple of months' of your undivided attention to get a feel for how busy you'll be. At my school, the first semester is divided into two half-semesters so classes are very intense. I don't think working would have been possible as studying occupied all of my spare time. I do some consulting on the side and didn't take up any new clients during the entire first semester.

How do you guys pay for rent? My gf and I are living together and we currently split up our bills...She can only afford so much without my help and seeing how I won't be working a lot, if at all, during this time, do you just take out extra loans to pay for rent and utilities?

How do you guys pay for rent? My gf and I are living together and we currently split up our bills...She can only afford so much without my help and seeing how I won't be working a lot, if at all, during this time, do you just take out extra loans to pay for rent and utilities?

Cost of living is usually allotted with tuition for financial aid. Use sparingly and pay back what you don't use.