Having a kid during the last year of pharm school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, the last job I had, two people took off for 4 months of leave. During the winter (worst possible time)...leaving me all alone on several occasions with temp workers. Winter in a hospital with RPH on the Go people is brutal. "They can check stuff" is about the peak of their usefulness. Yay. That's really fair to me, now isn't it. Hell, that's a reason to work mail order or retail right there. If your partner goes down, hell, at least CVS and Wags has an army of floaters that actually know what they are doing.

-----

And another thing. If I got an elective sex change, how do you think people would feel if I took a 3 months "rehabilitative" vacation? They'd think I was milking it...and what if I had the ability to go back and forth every 9 months...and I actually did it...yeah, everyone would hate me...

LOL...I totally understand where you are coming from....but they are UNPAID so it's not like they are getting an advantage over the situation.

Also there are some employees that just like to "take off" b/c they like to. Would you be equally mad at a guy or girl that isn't pregnant but feels that they want to take off b/c they just feel like it???

I use to take off work a lot during the summer time b/c I like going to the beach a lot for example. Would you be equally mad at people that just take off for no reason or for a vacation? If you do, then you don't really hate pregnancy you just hate it when people take off work and leave you with extra work...which is understandable.

Members don't see this ad.

LOL...I totally understand where you are coming from....but they are UNPAID so it's not like they are getting an advantage over the situation.

Nah, 8 weeks of it was paid...the rest saved up vacation time.

But I wasn't allowed to take all 25 vacation days simultaneously, now was I?

And no, not in Iowa. He's a programmer for a large internet shoe company. They have REALLY good free lunch every day. But it's not always healthy food so it may be a negative benefit in terms of the waistline! :laugh:

That insurance company opened a company-sponsored day care center in the late 1970s; it was not truly on-site because it was in a building on the next street over, at the other end of the employee parking lot. When they set it up, they staffed and organized it on the assumption that only the women employees would use it. :smack::wtf: :confused: To everyone's surprise, HR got lots of feedback from fathers who wanted to use it, and some of them even added, "I'm divorced, and my kids live with their mom who does not work here. Can she bring the kids to this center?" :idea: Why, of course she could! It was for the children of employees! And it was terrific for everyone, because these parents could pop in at lunchtime and eat with their kids.

Shortly before I started working there in 1983, the center was shut down because the building was sold and the new owners needed the whole building for their own company, and they couldn't find a suitable alternate location.

If you think this company was a good place to work, think again, although for other reasons. I was 19 when I started working there and didn't know any better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you know that barrels are only one of the products that a cooper can make? Any wooden staved vessel of a conical form with a greater length than breadth, bound together with hoops and possessing flat ends or heads can be made by a cooper. Examples include buckets, barrels, churns, and many other things.

THE MORE YOU KNOW...

Did you know that barrels are only one of the products that a cooper can make? Any wooden staved vessel of a conical form with a greater length than breadth, bound together with hoops and possessing flat ends or heads can be made by a cooper. Examples include buckets, barrels, churns, and many other things.

THE MORE YOU KNOW...

:rofl:

It's about causality, not risk. You can not accidentally get fat or spend all of your money, just like you can't accidentally get pregnant.

We went off topic a while back. Medicaid was discussed repeatedly. Who will finance the pregnancy and childbirth if her husband loses his job? My old pharmacy manager's wife had a premature birth and eclampsia with her first pregnancy. The total hospital bill (12 years ago!) was $400,000.

If you're on BC and get pregnant, you can accidently get pregnant. If the condom breaks and EC doesn't work, you can get accidently pregnant. Yes, we can all not have sex and reduce our chances to zero of having a pregnancy, but some people kind of like having sex. Or so I've heard. :p

A couple can never guarantee that they both maintain their jobs during a pregnancy/while their kids are young. But the risk is something to think about before having a kid.

My husband, fortunately, is an academic post-doc, which, while not very high in salary, is pretty darn stable. The health insurance is good, too, and if we didn't have that, we could always go on our school's health insurance, which is expensive but doable. We also have family in the area for support (and we could even move in with them if worse came to worse and we wanted to live with a 90-lb spastic dog).

Never mind being rational and logical. After this thread, I've decided I'm just going to have a kid right now, demand all my professors give me A's next year, leave my internship in the lurch for coverage, and go on Medicaid and food stamps to support my triplets. Sound like a good plan to all of you? :smuggrin:

Why should I have to not go to Denny's? In fact, this is a good point you brought up. People with children should have to stay at home until their offspring are trained to not cry. That's being added to the "if Mike was emperor" list.

Can we also force people who are rude, crazy, and loud to stay at home, too? There are a few loud, drunk partiers at restaurants I could have done without.

I have sympathy for parents who are dealing with a loud and/or misbehaving kid provided the parents are actually dealing with the kid. Make the kids behave, try to stop the temper, and if it's not working, leave. If you don't do this, you're being rude and irresponsible.

Never mind being rational and logical. After this thread, I've decided I'm just going to have a kid right now, demand all my professors give me A's next year, leave my internship in the lurch for coverage, and go on Medicaid and food stamps to support my triplets. Sound like a good plan to all of you? :smuggrin:

Obviously this is the only course of action to follow after becoming pregnant. Female pharmacy students, take note! :laugh:

If you're on BC and get pregnant, you can accidently get pregnant. If the condom breaks and EC doesn't work, you can get accidently pregnant.
A coworker of mine became pregnant while on Depo Provera, though she hadn't missed any shots. So many of the "failsafe" methods just aren't...

And yes, I think you should *definitely* have those triplets on Medicaid! Pump 'em out as soon as possible! :laugh:

You can get accidentally pregnant if you are on birth control and you go to CVS where SHC doesn't tell you that those antibiotics you're on reduce the efficacy of your BC because she is checking out the hot guy at the drive thru.

I signed up for Medicaid today. It's awesome. I got a voucher for free steak dinners for a month PLUS I'm about to go pick up my new HUMMER. Government benefits are the ****. I'll be getting pregnant again as soon as I deliver this one so I can stay on the gravy train 4eva!!!

You can get accidentally pregnant if you are on birth control and you go to CVS where SHC doesn't tell you that those antibiotics you're on reduce the efficacy of your BC because she is checking out the hot guy at the drive thru.

HOW DARE YOU?!?! Have you learned nothing from this thread? Pregnancy is never accidental. It's impossible! If a woman gets pregnant it is 100% her fault and she should be stoned. SHEESH! :smuggrin::laugh::rolleyes:

I signed up for Medicaid today. It's awesome. I got a voucher for free steak dinners for a month PLUS I'm about to go pick up my new HUMMER. Government benefits are the ****. I'll be getting pregnant again as soon as I deliver this one so I can stay on the gravy train 4eva!!!

Maybe both me and my partner will have babies and since the great state of Arizona won't allow us to get married we can just enroll in medicaid/welfare as single parents and let them take it up the arse.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe both me and my partner will have babies and since the great state of Arizona won't allow us to get married we can just enroll in medicaid/welfare as single parents and let them take it up the arse.

Make sure you sign up for the Food Benefit too. I will be getting a monthly Visa debit card with a $1000 balance to spend each month. I probably won't buy much food at first since I have the month of steak dinners to use. But I want a new TV and I'm due for another bag of cocaine too, so I'll pick that up as well.

Make sure you sign up for the Food Benefit too. I will be getting a monthly Visa debit card with a $1000 balance to spend each month. I probably won't buy much food at first since I have the month of steak dinners to use. But I want a new TV and I'm due for another bag of cocaine too, so I'll pick that up as well.

That's right.... I am going to buy a couple of 8 balls so I can turn around and sell them for profit. I gotta make that 700 dollar payment on my Escalade so when I drive through the CVS drive thru, I can reach the window so they can put some Huggies through the door for me.

When sperm have free will, Medicaid is not a fall back option, and time off is not required to have a baby, I will agree with all of you. Otherwise, this is all nonsense.

Haters_gonna_hate_by_shydude.jpg

Can we also force people who are rude, crazy, and loud to stay at home, too? There are a few loud, drunk partiers at restaurants I could have done without.

You shouldn't talk about me like that when I'm in the room.:smuggrin:

njac, you going to APhA-ASP in Seattle? If so, we should meet up! You can be as loud as you want and I will buy you the shots. I'll even sing karaoke. :D

;) I don't "do" APhA - ASHP and ACCP, sure. By the next meetings I'll have real job and will be down to buy students and residents drinks, a la Z!

Yes, you can. It's called public intoxication. It's a common law stating that you can be a drunken ass in public places. It's supposed to keep them home. And if it doesn't, they can get a citation and pay a fine for not staying home.

;) I don't "do" APhA - ASHP and ACCP, sure. By the next meetings I'll have real job and will be down to buy students and residents drinks, a la Z!

I need to do my part. Call me when you need to get drunk!

I need to do my part. Call me when you need to get drunk!

Get used to your phone ringing! We do need to go out though... Can't wait for spring to get here!

I know our residencies don't compare, but a good book that addresses this somewhat is Intern Blues. IIRC, it follows 3 or 4 ped's interns in the 80's. One guy was your average Joe, the other was a joker, and there was a girl who seemed okay until she got pregnant.

I enjoyed reading the book except for her portion. Maybe it was only because she was preggo, but it seemed like she was always fighting her fellow interns and her residents. The rest of the book was insightful, while her stuff just read like everyone was out to get her.

I'm not giving an opinion either way, but it might give someone an idea of what kind of backlash they might expect.

Yes, you can. It's called public intoxication. It's a common law stating that you can be a drunken ass in public places. It's supposed to keep them home. And if it doesn't, they can get a citation and pay a fine for not staying home.
True... Snooky was cited for being a public annoyance while on the beach last summer. As punishment, she did community service at a zoo.

I can't wait until my partner and I have children. Smart people need to breed more. The more educated people there are having children, the better.

It doesn't work that way. Read about regression towards the mean in IQ scores. It's eye opening. I worked with a woman once that was dumber than a post. That would be an insult to posts everywhere. She was a nice lady, very sweet, but not bright. Her husband also not bright. One kid is a lawyer and the other is a doctor and both kids got full academic scholarships for their undergrad education.

It doesn't work that way. Read about regression towards the mean in IQ scores. It's eye opening. I worked with a woman once that was dumber than a post. That would be an insult to posts everywhere. She was a nice lady, very sweet, but not bright. Her husband also not bright. One kid is a lawyer and the other is a doctor and both kids got full academic scholarships for their undergrad education.

That brings up the whole 'nature vs nurture' argument as well, since some argue that 'intelligence' is mainly determined by early exposure to brain stimulating stimuli (reading/writing, etc).

That brings up the whole 'nature vs nurture' argument as well, since some argue that 'intelligence' is mainly determined by early exposure to brain stimulating stimuli (reading/writing, etc).

Yes...although I think it is definitely correlated, especially with verbal ability. I was just being flippant with my comment really. Yes, I agree both nature/nurture contribute to one's intelligence and learning capacity. I do, however, want to point out that people who are educated/successful tend to reinforce that in their children. They also tend to have the financial capacity to provide more opportunities for their children. Furthermore, they most likely encourage learning and skills that will help their children be productive members of society. Can children from parents without these attributes succeed? Absolutely. But, I hate to say that I don't think it is the overwhelming majority. Living in the ghetto for a while will open your eyes to that. In many cases, it's not even the kids' fault they get stuck in the same vicious cycle. Some break out, most don't. So, despite my flippant comment, I still believe there is some truth to it.

Statements like this make me a little angry. Who are you to say it is an imperfect time? Maybe the OP is at a point in her life where she feels like it's right.

I just don't understand why some people are so quick to judge or look down on others decisions.

Kind of like what you are doing with this person? ;)

Yes...although I think it is definitely correlated, especially with verbal ability. I was just being flippant with my comment really. Yes, I agree both nature/nurture contribute to one's intelligence and learning capacity. I do, however, want to point out that people who are educated/successful tend to reinforce that in their children. They also tend to have the financial capacity to provide more opportunities for their children. Furthermore, they most likely encourage learning and skills that will help their children be productive members of society. Can children from parents without these attributes succeed? Absolutely. But, I hate to say that I don't think it is the overwhelming majority. Living in the ghetto for a while will open your eyes to that. In many cases, it's not even the kids' fault they get stuck in the same vicious cycle. Some break out, most don't. So, despite my flippant comment, I still believe there is some truth to it.

Yeah I guess the two do fit hand in hand (both 'natural' intelligence from parents as well as the superior educational resources they can in turn provide them based upon this). I wasn't really calling you out or anything, and I do agree that the well educated people should have a fair hand in determining what the future generations will consist of. But I certainly hope the beginning scene to the movie Idiocracy isn't actually happening haha :smuggrin:.

Last edited:
[/B]

Kind of like what you are doing with this person? ;)

I wasn't looking down on this individuals choice to not have children. It's their choice. What bothers me is the attacks on the people who decide to have children. But the discussion is over now. Try reading the entire context of the posts before making smart-ass comments.

I wasn't looking down on this individuals choice to not have children. It's their choice. What bothers me is the attacks on the people who decide to have children. But the discussion is over now. Try reading the entire context of the posts before making smart-ass comments.

This nicely sums up my objections to most of the arguments from the anti-childbearing crowd in this thread. I'd never tell them their choices were wrong. In a few cases, I think it's probably best that some of them have decided to keep their DNA to themselves. :smuggrin:

Reproducing is a choice. Not reproducing is the default. That is what has been so difficult to convey in this thread...

Reproducing is a choice. Not reproducing is the default. That is what has been so difficult to convey in this thread...

I think that either option is a choice. But if we accept your "logic" that not reproducing is somehow the default option (it wasn't before the invention of contraception), we don't have to accept that the "default" is somehow the superior or preferable option. It may be for YOU, but again,that goes back to choices.

I think that either option is a choice. But if we accept your "logic" that not reproducing is somehow the default option (it wasn't before the invention of contraception), we don't have to accept that the "default" is somehow the superior or preferable option. It may be for YOU, but again,that goes back to choices.
Not everyone has or will have sex, so it is the default. And since it is the default, people who have children should be concerned about how they are affecting society by adding more people - by choice.

No one is this thread is against having children. If you have the money and resources to provide for the child 100% of the time then have the child. Its the people that dont have money but still want children and want society to give them free handouts for life that is getting attacked.

Again, if you are rich and want children please have as many as possible. Thank you. :)

One child policy just like in China for these free hand out Octomoms wanna be would be a great idea...

This nicely sums up my objections to most of the arguments from the anti-childbearing crowd in this thread. I'd never tell them their choices were wrong. In a few cases, I think it's probably best that some of them have decided to keep their DNA to themselves. :smuggrin:

That **** doesn't make any damned sense at all. Me not having kids doesn't directly affect my coworkers. When some damn woman/whipped man goes on medical for child bearing, that **** directly affects and annoys me. In the assortment of ways that have already been mentioned.

It's like Mel Gibson walking up to me and telling me not to say bad things about his choices in life. And why? Because he doesn't tell me that my choice of not going around spouting off antisemetic rants is wrong.

No. Just...no. I have the right to be annoyed when annoying **** happens. You people already have the letter of the law allowing you to take a 3 months vacation every time you get knocked up. There will be no isolation and elimination of our collective pissivity towards your elective medical procedure. You don't get to sit there and act like its some sort of judgemental neutrality tit-for-tat. You people annoy the rest of us by your actions. We don't annoy you with our lack of actions.

Just admit that having a child is annoying to everyone else around you and you don't give a damn that it annoys them at all. We all know that's what the score is. It's really all it boils down to. And its why you should have a child while in school. Because you don't have other professionals depending on your presence.

Last edited: