Having a kid during the last year of pharm school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just admit that having a child is annoying to everyone else around you and you don't give a damn that it annoys them all. That's really all it boils down to. And its why you should have a child while in school. Because you don't have other professionals depending on your presence.

1) If you have a child while in school you might flunk out.
2) I highly DOUBT any student in school is rich, so they might be on medicaid which is on YOUR dime...LOL...and I am sure that will bother you too.
3) There are people that like to take off work alot that isn't pregnant...is that okay? I take off work a lot to go to the beach during the summer...:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

1) If you have a child while in school you might flunk out.

All of the women I knew that had children during school graduated on time and in good standing. Hell, maybe I should have had a baby and I would have graduated on time.

2) I highly DOUBT any student in school is rich, so they might be on medicaid which is on YOUR dime...LOL...and I am sure that will bother you too.

I'd pay the $0.0001 of my tax money that went to a classmate having a kid rather than having to deal with it when I actually need them around.

3) There are people that like to take off work alot that isn't pregnant...is that okay? I take off work a lot to go to the beach during the summer...:oops:

That's paid time off. It's something that everyone gets and is scheduled around well in advance. It's not a random 3-month abandonment of your coworkers.

All of the women I knew that had children during school graduated on time and in good standing. Hell, maybe I should have had a baby and I would have graduated on time.

My friend that I graduated with was a year late graduating.
I'd pay the $0.0001 of my tax money that went to a classmate having a kid rather than having to deal with it when I actually need them around.
If your state has a high Medicaid to child birth ratio, then I'm sure it's much more than that.

That's paid time off. It's something that everyone gets and is scheduled around well in advance. It's not a random 3-month abandonment of your coworkers.
It depends on if it's properly orchestrated. If they train someone to take their place, then great. If not, then it's: "See you suckers!"

Members don't see this ad :)
That **** doesn't make any damned sense at all. Me not having kids doesn't directly affect my coworkers. When some damn woman/whipped man goes on medical for child bearing, that **** directly affects and annoys me. In the assortment of ways that have already been mentioned.

It's like Mel Gibson walking up to me and telling me not to say bad things about his choices in life. And why? Because he doesn't tell me that my choice of not going around spouting off antisemetic rants is wrong.

No. Just...no. I have the right to be annoyed when annoying **** happens. You people already have the letter of the law allowing you to take a 3 months vacation every time you get knocked up. There will be no isolation and elimination of our collective pissivity towards your elective medical procedure. You don't get to sit there and act like its some sort of judgemental neutrality tit-for-tat. You people annoy the rest of us by your actions. We don't annoy you with our lack of actions.

Just admit that having a child is annoying to everyone else around you and you don't give a damn that it annoys them at all. We all know that's what the score is. It's really all it boils down to. And its why you should have a child while in school. Because you don't have other professionals depending on your presence.

Maybe it's your work that's the problem, i.e. they don't have a part-time pharmacist hired to fill in. We have a few staff members, two getting close to retirement (one technically retired but he comes in every so often) and one that's recently licensed, that help out when someone else is off for whatever reason. Vacations, sick-leave, or pregnancy leave. This way, it doesn't all go to **** when someone's off.

The other pharmacy has three part-time pharmacists that basically rotate around each other so that two are always working.

I understand your frustration with not getting guaranteed time off after shoving a baby through a very small opening of your body (so wish my husband could have the kid instead, but he keeps saying something about not having the right biology for it :p), but having a kid in a stable environment for its first few months is probably a lot better for the kids' future, and your future depends on those kids, even more so if you don't have your own.

Right now, most leave is unpaid, so even if a woman does take time off, most don't take more than 1 month or so anyway. They basically need that time to recover, and there's very little childcare options for babies less than 3 months old or so. As well, most women only take 1 or 2 maternity leaves in their lives. By the time you get to kid #3, you'll most likely stay home, as childcare for more than 2 kids gets very expensive. And, working a full-time job makes it hard to take care of more than 2 kids anyway.

and your future depends on those kids, even more so if you don't have your own.

R you talking about social security? That's the only thing I can think of that older people depend on younger people for. However, social security might not be here in the next few years...Also WVU might have a lot of money saved up and don't NEED any money from anyone. If that's the case, he doesn't need anyone else but himself. I hope I eventually have enough money saved up so I don't need anyone but myself.

R you talking about social security? That's the only thing I can think of that older people depend on younger people for. However, social security might not be here in the next few years...Also WVU might have a lot of money saved up and don't NEED any money from anyone. If that's the case, he doesn't need anyone else but himself. I hope I eventually have enough money saved up so I don't need anyone but myself.

Old people depend on the young for all kinds of things. Changing diapers, sponge baths, delivering newspapers, etc.

Old people depend on the young for all kinds of things. Changing diapers, sponge baths, delivering newspapers, etc.

There are some older people that are still very healthy and can walk and do their own daily activities....I eat healthy and exercises a lot...I hope I would stay healthy as I get older. But you are right...there are some elderly people that depend on the young for that. I just hope I will not be one of them. My grandparents when they were alive never depended on anyone for stuff like that either. They passed away in their 60s and 70s...and NONE ever needed diaper changes or sponge baths from anyone. Lets just pray I would never depend on anyone like that. Even if I decide to have kids I do not want to depend on anyone. I just want to depend on myself.

Come on dude. You know better than that. Anyone that old is no longer productive and is a drag on society and should be "put out to pasture." Have you learned NOTHING from this website in the last week or so?? :smuggrin:

Come on dude. You know better than that. Anyone that old is no longer productive and is a drag on society and should be "put out to pasture." Have you learned NOTHING from this website in the last week or so?? :smuggrin:

Oh right...my bad.

Those services are paid for and can be done by any working member of society from age 16 to 65+. Hell, if we really wanted to, we could be like Japan and have most services automated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Those services are paid for and can be done by any working member of society from age 16 to 65+. Hell, if we really wanted to, we could be like Japan and have most services automated!

Automated diaper changes? I would buy stock in that company.

In a large % of the elderly population, those services are paid for by the government in the form of Medicaid. You think that's OK but are opposed to Medicaid coverage for children?

In a large % of the elderly population, those services are paid for by the government in the form of Medicaid. You think that's OK but are opposed to Medicaid coverage for children?
Can you chose to be born? Do citizens not have the right to life in this country?
I don't think that newspaper delivery should be subsidized, but life sustaining services should.

And you have it wrong. I am against society having to support pregnancy and childbirth.

Can you chose to be born? Do citizens not have the right to life in this country?
I don't think that newspaper delivery should be subsidized, but life sustaining services should.

I agree, children cannot choose to be born, which is why I support Medicaid coverage for every child in this country who needs it. I support elder care too. I just think it's odd that you'd be worried about "Medicaid babies in Louisiana" but not the cost of elder care. One costs WAY more than the other (and it's not the babies!).

A bullet is cheaper than nursing home care! :rolleyes:

Yeah all those folks with one foot in the grave should just jump.... right SHC?

It is irresponsible for women to have children when they can't afford it and then depend on medicaid...so medicaid isn't supported a lot by me b/c of that reason.

It is irresponsible for a person to not budget wisely and save money during their working years and then depend on medicaid to support them when they are older...so again medicaid isn't supported a lot by me b/c of that reason.

Just do two things if you want to avoid using medicaid/be a drain on society.

How about actually WAITING till you have the money before you become pregnant!!! :eek::idea:

And how about actually LEARNING how to budget money and save properly so you don't need to depend on medicaid when you are older! :eek::idea: If a person has been working 30+ years in their lives they should be filthy rich when they retire...if they are not they obviously have money budgeting issues.

The End. :)

It is irresponsible for women to have children when they can't afford it and then depend on medicaid...so medicaid isn't supported a lot by me b/c of that reason.

It is irresponsible for a person to not budget wisely and save money during their working years and then depend on medicaid to support them when they are older...so again medicaid isn't supported a lot by me b/c of that reason.

Just do two things if you want to avoid using medicaid/be a drain on society.

How about actually WAITING till you have the money before you become pregnant!!! :eek::idea:

And how about actually LEARNING how to budget money and save properly so you don't need to depend on medicaid when you are older! :eek::idea: If a person has been working 30+ years in their lives they should be filthy rich when they retire...if they are not they obviously have money budgeting issues.

The End. :)

Why are you even talking about learning how to budget and save money? Your mommy and daddy pay for everything for you... you wouldn't know the first thing about having to be financially independent. So in this case, you should probably stop making comments.

Why are you even talking about learning how to budget and save money? Your mommy and daddy pay for everything for you... you wouldn't know the first thing about having to be financially independent. So in this case, you should probably stop making comments.

How do you know what's going on with her or what she's experienced, Senorita Know It All? Come on, it's almost disgusting what you assume!!! :p:rolleyes:

How do you know what's going on with her or what she's experienced, Senorita Know It All? Come on, it's almost disgusting what you assume!!! :p:rolleyes:

Are you calling me Senorita because I am brown? How dare you racially profile me...are you gonna ask for my ID too? I gotta go sign up for medicaid first so I can send all the hundreds of dollars I get to Mexico before they deport me :cool:

Are you calling me Senorita because I am brown? How dare you racially profile me...are you gonna ask for my ID too? I gotta go sign up for medicaid first so I can send all the hundreds of dollars I get to Mexico before they deport me :cool:

Don't let them catch you, amiga!!! Head to the border in your gold plated Hummer with your bags of cash stolen from hard working Americans and your bags of cocaine and your 12 illegitimate ninos. Hasta la vista, baby!

Don't let them catch you, amiga!!! Head to the border in your gold plated Hummer with your bags of cash stolen from hard working Americans and your bags of cocaine and your 12 illegitimate ninos. Hasta la vista, baby!

I need to run to the pharmacy and stock up on Plan B first so I can stop popping out all these children on American soil.... they might think I am running an operation and send me to prison for life!

I need to buy one box for each baby daddy.

Wow this thread is full of bimbos and haterz who think they know **** about the world. Nobody tell them that they don't. Peace out, I am hans!

Well, I do read a lot and I have read many books on wise investments and ways to make your money grow etc. So I am aware of ways to save money and make smart investments. Pharmacy is just something I am doing to make some starting money. I plan on going into investing after I reach a certain amount of money.

With very few exceptions, medicaid is something that is made up to cover people's irresponsible actions. That we all can agree with.

Well, I do read a lot and I have read many books on wise investments and ways to make your money grow etc. So I am aware of ways to save money and make smart investments. Pharmacy is just something I am doing to make some starting money. I plan on going into investing after I reach a certain amount of money.

With very few exceptions, medicaid is something that is made up to cover people's irresponsible actions. That we all can agree with.

Speak for yourself. I'm starting to believe that the people who say you are trolling are right after all. :(

PS: I have read many books on being an astronaut and flying the space shuttle. But for whatever reason, NASA won't let me in the cockpit. Since reading about something is THE SAME as actually doing it, I don't know what their problem is.

It's not like she's never worked before in her life... And we all pay income taxes (if you actually freakin' work!), so what's you and A4MD's deal?

gee after reading the post history of some of these bimbos i wonder how you got into school to begin with. that SHC chic is a real piece of work. how do you go on living everyday being such a self absorbed nit wit?

It's not like she's never worked before in her life... And we all pay taxes, so what's your deal?

You mean the five seconds she spent at her job where she would call out to go to the beach? I am starting to wonder why you defend the girl so much. It's almost absurd.

You mean the five seconds she spent at her job where she would call out to go to the beach? I am starting to wonder why you defend the girl so much. It's almost absurd.

I have noticed this as well...

What are you talking about? She worked at Walgreens for a summer, is currently looking for internships, and wants to *work* from home after she graduates.

You really want to think that your pregnancy is an accident, because you were diagnosed with polycystic ovary disease (or some disease that magically makes a full set of female organs somehow nonfunctional). It's sad... And I don't appreciate the nasty private messaging!

What are you talking about? She worked at Walgreens for a summer, is currently looking for internships, and wants to *work* from home after she graduates.

I agree. I went to Space Camp. I read lots of books about being an astronaut. I am currently stalking the NASA Administrator. I want to be an astronaut after graduation. Therefore, I am an expert and qualified to comment on all things space related. :rolleyes:

You really want to think that your pregnancy is an accident, because you were diagnosed with polycystic ovary disease (or some disease that magically makes a full set of female organs somehow nonfunctional). It's sad... And I don't appreciate the nasty private messaging!

Why so hateful and bitter?

I said the pregnancy was a surprise because I'd been told it was unlikely I'd get pregnant due to a medical condition. Good job twisting my words and looking like a douche. :thumbup: Want to take any more cheap shots?

Why so hateful and bitter?
Why does A4MD have to be so sarcastic towards me and SHC1984? Are we not allowed to have opinions, too? Why do we have to get made fun of? So what she is doing is not hateful and bitter?

I'm being persistent during a debate. For whatever reason, she's making it personal... like we're attacking her specifically... as if!

Hateful, bitter AND ignorant... if she's never heard of infertility. I'm not sure what to say about that. I'm also not sure what to say about someone who thinks infertility is worthy insult/joke material.
It's what think. Not an insult or joke or whatever. The "senorita", "cocca", and "space camp" comments are jokes or insults.

So lets go back to this so called "right" to have children. If it's actually a right, then wouldn't the government have to assist in fertility treatments for indigent couples/women?

Why does A4MD have to be so sarcastic towards me and SHC1984? Are we not allowed to have opinions, too? Why do we have to get made fun of? So what she is doing is not hateful and bitter?

I'm being persistent during a debate. For whatever reason, she's making it personal... like we're attacking her specifically... as if!

My beef with you is that you hijacked a perfectly good discussion with your rants against pregnancy and childbearing. And despite being uber sensitive in other threads when you perceive that you are "attacked," you go on the offense at the drop of a hat and the slightest misunderstanding. Your comments about my infertility confirm my recently revised opinion about you and your bitter, angry personality. I think it's pretty clear I'm not the only person who see this. :thumbdown:

I think SHC is a good person and a smart girl (and she knows I feel that way) but I also feel like she frequently comments on subjects that she has no knowledge of or experience with, without taking time to ascertain the facts or educate herself. Regardless of that, she IS a nice person. :thumbup:

It's what think. Not an insult or joke or whatever. The "senorita", "cocca", and "space camp" comments are jokes or insults.

So lets go back to this so called "right" to have children. If it's actually a right, then wouldn't the government have to assist in fertility treatments for indigent couples/women?

Why/how did this even come up? How did the OP's post about having babies during pharmacy school evolve into this?

It's what think. Not an insult or joke or whatever.

Bull****. You speculated about what I was diagnosed with, used the terms "magically" and "somehow nonfunctional" and claimed that I "really want to think my pregnancy is an accident." I never should have used the word accident. I should have said it was a surprise, which it was because I thought I was going to be childless, despite loving children and loving being a parent before my daughter's death. So, although I misspoke, I really think, in light of everything else that has happened in my life, that the proper term for my pregnancy is MIRACLE.

If you think you need to hit that far below the belt to win an argument, you've already lost.

You really want to think that your pregnancy is an accident, because you were diagnosed with polycystic ovary disease (or some disease that magically makes a full set of female organs somehow nonfunctional).

My beef with you is that you hijacked a perfectly good discussion with your rants against pregnancy and childbearing. And despite being uber sensitive in other threads when you perceive that you are "attacked," you go on the offense at the drop of a hat and the slightest misunderstanding. Your comments about my infertility confirm my recently revised opinion about you and your bitter, angry personality. I think it's pretty clear I'm not the only person who see this. :thumbdown:

I think SHC is a good person and a smart girl (and she knows I feel that way) but I also feel like she frequently comments on subjects that she has no knowledge of or experience with, without taking time to ascertain the facts or educate herself. Regardless of that, she IS a nice person. :thumbup:
I don't have any beef with you. I have specific opinions about residencies, pregnancy, and radiation pharmacy that are not necessarily the same as everyone else, but it is not personal... unless someone wants to make it personal.

Since when is group think a sound method of reasoning? Because "[you're] not the only person who [sees] this", it's automatically the case? No.

Oh, and I didn't hijack this thread. I would have stayed out of it, but for whatever reason you said to WVU, "I was waiting for you"...

Last edited:
I don't have any beef with you. I have specific opinions about residencies, pregnancy, and radiation pharmacy that are not necessary the same as everyone else, but it is not personal... unless someone wants to make it personal.

Since when is group think a sound method of reasoning? Because "[you're] not the only person who [sees] this", it's automatically the case? No.

Oh, and I didn't hijack this thread. I would have stayed out of it, but for whatever reason you said to WVU, "I was waiting for you"...

Eh, you went too far and got called out for it. Not much else to say about it. :shrug: